• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fook Yuen, Chatswood

Went to Fook Yuen today, great yum cha!

The steamed stuff was very tender and not gloppy, and the fried stuff was crispy and golden, except for the spring rolls, they were a bit too greasy, but i t didn't matter, everything else was spot on...

Now, why is Dim Sum called Yum Cha in Australia?

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Yum cha just means to drink tea, which is what you do when you sek (faan)(eat) dim sum...

have heard Chatswood is a good place to eat Chinese...a bit far for me to go :)

edited for spelling

Edited by insomniac (log)

Thanks for the translation!

I had never heard it called that until we came to Australia - in the UK, US, even in Hong Kong I have always know it as dim sum...

And yes, you would have a 24 hour flight, but you would have some nice food!

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

• 2 weeks later...

Hahaha I was very confused the first time I went to the US and heard people calling it 'dim sum' -only realised us Aussies were the 'odd' ones recently hehe.

I prefer the Yum Cha at Bondi Junction. The Marigold one is pretty good too (although Bondi Yum Cha is preferable for the service and possibly quality).

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

• 2 months later...

Can I cast my vote for Chequers (in the horrible Chatswood Mandarin Centre) as my favourite?

One needn't (and shouldn't) confine yum cha scoffing experiences to the usual Yum Cha elite/brat pack like Marigold (whose standards I think have dropped over the years anyway), Regal, Fook Yuen and Kam Fook (inconsistent - but what else to expect when serving thousands?). You can in fact venture out afield for cheaper, equally delicious places like Carlingford (there's one called Excellent something-or-other (in mandarin: hao(3) hao(3) something) in Carlingford Court which does excellent pastry dim sum). I hear Marrickville has really decent Yum Cha too.

Does Zilver have the all-you-can-eat buffet Yum Cha, as its previous incarnation Silver Spring did? (We managed once to order 7-8(!) dishes per person on the all-you-can-eat $17pp special! Tea was $2-odd though)