• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef Season 4

KristiB50

Bayless, swoon. Just love his style.

I have yet to understand why anyone would serve something to a judge that they would not spring on the public? I am so completly lost on that one. I really wonder if they sent the right one home?

Blog.liedel.org

Huh, I was kind of surprised to see people mention the swearing on Top Chef. I have to say that I honestly didn't notice it. I don't swear much at all myself, though I do pretty much expect it in any reality show and certainly in a busy kitchen. A reality show in a busy kitchen? Oh yeah, there's going to be tons of bleeping.

This is the 297th time I have rehashed the same point, so just bury it along with the rest. But for the 8,976th time I am watching reruns of Season 2, the moment where Ilan says: "Shut the f--k up, go make your foams and cry in a corner." Or whatever. I have never really felt this strongly about TV personalities, but if I were dragged into a restaurant somewhere and suddenly learned Ilan Hall was the chef, I would leave mid-bite.

That dude is the worst winner of any reality show, hands-down, I've ever seen. Absolutely.

I've got a wicked sore throat, so I'm watching season two again. I still think Sam should have won. I love it when he says, "Tom does not like skin on peppers, so get rid of those," so something similar. It's a throw-away comment, but he's really thinking. I am waiting for this season to catch me like that season did. I know it will. Those are some talented people.

Blog.liedel.org

Is it just me, or is the product placement in tonight's episode particularily egregious? I mean, if some TV crew came into my kitchen and said "Hey, we want to film a segment in here, can we plant some KC Masterpiece in your pantry" I'd tell them where they can put their KC Masterpiece! :raz: It feels to me like that's a different level of product placement than just having those items conspicuously on camera in the Top Chef kitchen.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

It was the tableful of Dixie paper products that made me :rolleyes:

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

I wish Eric would have told Rick Bayless that Mexican food isn't fine dining.

I hear you on the product placement in the peoples homes. How did they find that much Velveeta? Oh wait! As Zoi says, "it's middle America." :rolleyes:

OK so now they're tasting the food(I couldn't play that drinking game) but they don't think about how it will travel?

Edited for spelling :hmmm:

Edited by KristiB50 (log)

OK so now they're tasting the food(I couldn't play that drinking game) but they don't think about how it will travel?

Hasn't started here yet. So, does this mean I don't have to have lots of wine chilled tonight? :laugh::laugh:

(Whew. Gotta be at work early tomorrow)

Is it just me, or is the product placement in tonight's episode particularily egregious? I mean, if some TV crew came into my kitchen and said "Hey, we want to film a segment in here, can we plant some KC Masterpiece in your pantry" I'd tell them where they can put their KC Masterpiece!  :raz: It feels to me like that's a different level of product placement than just having those items conspicuously on camera in the Top Chef kitchen.

:shock: The product placement was taken to a completely new level of absurdity tonight. Did anyone notice how they were given phones so they could be filmed TEXTING between cars? The situation was ridiculous I started laughing out loud. Add that to shots of Dixie cups and KC Masterpiece, and you have one big commercial....And yet, I can't stop watching.

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

And man, Richard got hit pretty hard for the lack of soccarat on his paella! They even said it tasted good, then continued hitting on him to "make sure he knew what a paella is"! Jeez... I'd totally get my butt handed to me...  :blink:

I had the same reaction. The judges are very nitpicky, I think, when it comes to what dishes are "supposed to be." I think the chefs would be better off with a strategy to avoid the names of classic dishes. Like Richard's could have been "Spanish Inspired Rice with Sausage and Seafood" and they couldn't have nailed him about the crusty stuff on the bottom of the pot.

And the product placements were ridiculous. The lingering close-ups of the sauces/salad dressings they "happened to find" in people's houses? I refuse to mention or remember the brand names because it was so annoying.

Less swearing, although Andrew has regained the "annoying" title.

And fewer close-ups of Padma eating although I was sure the s'more was going right down her cleavage, and the camera along with it.

My question is how does Richard feel about his taco being on Rick Bayless' menu? I know that's been an honor before and I would think it's kind of a mixed blessing -- seems to me they are taking someone else's idea and profiting from it.

My blog: Rah Cha Chow

I've got a wicked sore throat, so I'm watching season two again. I still think Sam should have won. I love it when he says, "Tom does not like skin on peppers, so get rid of those," so something similar. It's a throw-away comment, but he's really thinking. I am waiting for this season to catch me like that season did. I know it will. Those are some talented people.

Sam, mmm [said in Homer-Simpson-talking-about-donuts voice]. So shoulda won.

My question is how does Richard feel about his taco being on Rick Bayless' menu? I know that's been an honor before and I would think it's kind of a mixed blessing -- seems to me they are taking someone else's idea and profiting from it.

My wife and I wondered the same thing: he is a restaurant consultant now, so how many gadzillions of dollars would he have charged Bayless for that bit of recipe development? Oh well, those are the rules of the game... good exposure for Chef Blais, to be sure.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Speaking of the product placement, did anyone else notice that the competitors were drinking Michelob in the "sweat room" while awaiting judgement? I bet Bourdain threw a shoe at the TV! :biggrin:

My husband said it well last week. "Want camera time? SIt in front of the Gladd Bags." Yes, the product placement has gone from annoying to, "can I mute the visuals?"

Blog.liedel.org

Speaking of the product placement, did anyone else notice that the competitors were drinking Michelob in the "sweat room" while awaiting judgement?  I bet Bourdain threw a shoe at the TV!   :biggrin:

Snort, I bet he did. I know I wanted to.

Edited by nliedel (log)

Blog.liedel.org

It was the tableful of Dixie paper products that made me  :rolleyes:

I can live with discreet product placement, but there's no way I'd let them plant a 3-pound block of Velveeta in MY pantry. Not now, not ever (!) Couldn't live with the shame.

Hey, TV shows cost money. Product placment is no more offensive than the price column on the menu of a restaurant. Hate product placement? Watch the Food Network, they don't do any! :laugh:

Speaking of the product placement, did anyone else notice that the competitors were drinking Michelob in the "sweat room" while awaiting judgement?  I bet Bourdain threw a shoe at the TV!   :biggrin:

Snort, I bet he did. I know I wanted to.

I bet he DIDN'T. I think he's already shown how much he doesn't care about Michelob by refusing to write the newly Michelob-sponsored Top Chef blog.

Hey, TV shows cost money.  Product placment is no more offensive than the price column on the menu of a restaurant.  Hate product placement?  Watch the Food Network, they don't do any!  :laugh:

Sometimes the product placement is downright comical, but I understand why it is there (especially when so many people have Tivos). I just thought that last night's planting of products in people's homes was a little over-the-top. Of course, I suppose it is possible that people actually use Velveeta and KC Masterpiece and thus had them in their kitchens... kinda makes me shudder, though.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Last night's episode reminded me why I tivo this show and not watch it as it is broadcast. I'll be watching the next episode in the AM as I usually do next week.

Also, how does someone who cooked a soggy corndog get booted before someone who thought up a cookie and a mixed drink? Did she cook at all?

OK, I just went thru the rate the plate thingy from last night on Bravo's website and neither Lisa nor Nikki had an elimination dish represented.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

Also, how does someone who cooked a soggy corndog get booted before someone who thought up a cookie and a mixed drink? Did she cook at all?

The corndog thing was an amateur mistake, like not correctly seasoning your dish. The appeal of a corndog is the crisp exterior, and the chef clearly knew that, he makes lobster "corndogs" at his restaurant. He also knew that they were going to be held for hours, and he should have known they would get soggy. Really, mac'n'cheese chick should have known the same thing about hers. These are more fundamental mistakes than just "not a great recipe."

I don't mind watching it live: I seldom want to rewind anything to see it again... maybe later in the season when you actually get to know some of the characters.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I didn't think this was a well put together episode. Like last season's yacht meltdown, the way it was edited, people seemed pretty pleased with the dishes, particularly the Red Team. Then it just seemed out of nowhere that the judges were so hard on both teams. Maybe I drifted somewhere, but I just don't remember any shots of the judges making many comments about the food. Last week's zoo ep, for example, you pretty much knew how things were going to shake out. I was as surprised as the Red team when they lost.

Andrew or Spike needs to be eliminated soon, if only because I can't tell who's who.

I kinda liked Erik. He put together some ugly plates (like me, which I guess is why I sympathized). But then he had to make the comments about tacos and saying Bayless should go screw himself literally had me gasp out loud.

Blais continues to impress, but I worry that he'll be this year's Tre.

And go Stephanie! :wub: