• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef Season 4

KristiB50

I think Gail's very attractive. 

me too

Gail and Padma are both attractive. Gail has the girl-next-door thing, Padma has the exotic thing. Kinda a Mary Ann and Ginger thing going on. None of that is why I watch the show. I don't really care if Frankenstein's Monster and The Creature from the Black Lagoon are doing the tasting wearing neon green and purple swirl potato sacks with bright pink Crocs. It's all about the food.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I think Gail's very attractive. 

me too

Gail and Padma are both attractive. Gail has the girl-next-door thing, Padma has the exotic thing. Kinda a Mary Ann and Ginger thing going on. None of that is why I watch the show. I don't really care if Frankenstein's Monster and The Creature from the Black Lagoon are doing the tasting wearing neon green and purple swirl potato sacks with bright pink Crocs. It's all about the food.

Well, I think the ratings would be better if your scenario played out.

She is the "Special Events Manager" at Food & Wine. She does have quite an impressive background in both food journalism as well as in professional kitchens (Le Cirque, Vong -- she has culinary training). She was also Steingarten's assistant for a number of years.

Dear Antonia, I would come eat at your restaurant any time. I'm sorry you are gone. Tell your kid her Mommy IS a winner.  :wub:

Dear Stephanie, teaming up people to their benefit was a generous and gracious choice.  :wub: Not tearing Dale a new one, also pretty much up there with sainthood, imo.

Dear Bravo TV. I would like to contribute to the "Buy Gail a New Dress, You Cheap Bastards" Fund. Please let me know where to send my donation. I'm sick of looking at her in that blue and green checked sack. Go ahead, Bravo, live big.   :cool:

Dear Richard, new babies smell even better than onions sauteing. Make sure you take time to nibble the baby feet.    :wub:

i'm with you on the buy Gail a new dress fund.... I could barely concentrate on the show I was so fasinated by that outfit...like watching a train wreck- don't want to look but can't stop. Padma, however rocked! Rooting for either Richard or Stephanie- both class acts. :biggrin:

I think the cut of Gail's dress was fine - obviously, she is boobacious naturally or nursing or both - but the freakin' pattern. OY! I don't care if it was Diane Von Furstenberg. The color combo and pattern gave me hives.

Tried and true?

Seriously, I like her. And what she wears doesn't faze me one bit.

Rhonda

Well, if it's about the food, shall we discuss that?

I really did not get the harping on "one plate". If I was at a stand-up party, I'd be grateful not to have to juggle plates.

I suspect Lisa can good, but her palette is a bit wonky. she never make shocking mistakes, that I can recall, and when her oddball combos aren't too sweet or salty, they seem to wow. Maybe time with a good chef woudl refine her instincts.

I hope Richard really brings the molecular in the finale... I'd hate to have TC watchers think it's the province of poseurs like Marcel. (not that I don't think Marcel can cook, but he also has a dandy's attitude and excessive style that isn't required when using an immersion cooker.)

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

Well, if it's about the food, shall we discuss that?

I really did not get the harping on "one plate". If I was at a stand-up party, I'd be grateful not to have to juggle plates. 

I kinda agree in concept but they also mentioned that it resulted in the muddling of flavors. I can see that because people don't always eat one item at a time on their plate even when you want them to. They take a bite of this, a bite of that, which is fine if she designed the items to work together that way. Chef Colicchio said it was a bad plan so I'm assuming it didn't all harmonize well on a single plate.

I suspect Lisa can good, but her palette is a bit wonky. she never make shocking mistakes, that I can recall, and when her oddball combos aren't too sweet or salty, they seem to wow. Maybe time with a good chef woudl refine her instincts.

That's where my "it's all about the food" theory takes a hit. I try to keep that in mind but the constant pouting and anger-girl thing makes it difficult (even if it is just due to editing). I hate to see grown folks whine.

I hope Richard really brings the molecular in the finale...

Me too.

I don't agree entirely on the Marcel thing though, my thing with him was he seemed to second guess himself too much instead of just doing what he felt good about doing. He should have brought his science guy A-game and jumped in with both feet if that was how he wanted to be portrayed on the show. Oh well, that's irrelevant now.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

But has Richard really been the molecular poster child? Did he foam? He applied smoke to a couple of items, then his smoker broke. He sous vided, and that was a disaster. What he has done mostly has been clever with ingredients and pairings and conceptions. He may be in to it but that isn't what got him to the final.

But has Richard really been the molecular poster child? Did he foam? He applied smoke to a couple of items, then his smoker broke. He sous vided, and that was a disaster. What he has done mostly has been clever with ingredients and pairings and conceptions. He may be in to it but that isn't what got him to the final.

True. I'd just like to see somebody hang their ass in the wind though. The whole "play it safe" thing is probably the smart move but it's not as fun. I want to see somebody look at the judges and say "this is what I do and I sure had a lot of fun with it whether I win or not". Of course I realize the whole goal is to win so I don't actually expect anybody to play that way.

True. I'd just like to see somebody hang their ass in the wind though. The whole "play it safe" thing is probably the smart move but it's not as fun. I want to see somebody look at the judges and say "this is what I do and I sure had a lot of fun with it whether I win or not". Of course I realize the whole goal is to win so I don't actually expect anybody to play that way.

I think Richard has done that more than anyone, but Stephanie has been close. It's just a matter of the game play they settle on for the final. Lisa will do something half good, so it's up to the others not to overreach and and not deliver.

Edited by Dignan (log)

But has Richard really been the molecular poster child?  Did he foam?  He applied smoke to a couple of items, then his smoker broke.

There are some awesome shots of him getting all alinea on youtube... but I agree that he has steadily gotta safer and more classic. The final, however, is supposed to be the place where you can really show your style. I'm hoping he shows us the kind of Keller-esque punning we've gotten glimpses of and some "nifty toys" that he's reputed to be packing.

My money is on Stephanie. It's hard to get a feeling for her food from the presentation, but she wins so consistently it must taste amazing.

Edited by et alors (log)

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

There are some awesome shots of him getting all alinea on youtube... 

I like

one. I'm not sure what the actual dish is but it's fun to watch.

What's wrong with Ilan?  Are you on the "saffron and paprika" bandwagon with Marcel?

Oh, nothing's wrong with Ilan other than he was the cheapest, phoniest, most manipulative scumbag ever to win a television cooking competition. But I've griped far upthread about this too many times to rehash.

The Season 4 Finale is tonight. Set your DVR's and VCR's!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

The Season 4 Finale is tonight. Set your DVR's and VCR's!

finale finale? Will the winner be announced? Or do we have to wait a week?

This is it. Gotta love the pacing this year. The NBA could take some lessons.

I don't know why Lisa's still there, but I've been waiting for a Richard and Stephanie finale for a long time. I hope they had fun. (Go, Steph!)

eta: They've turned out what looked like great food and been good sports about it. Since this show in no way is all about the food, they've managed to make good TV watching without all the bad TV drama.

Edited by hsm (log)

Ted Allen has never encountered braised pistachios?

I've had them at a number of restaurants.

Grant Achatz has served braised pistachios with bison and with sweetbreads.

I've also seen them at Aqueous, where then-chef Dave Racicot (now at Lautrec) served them with beef short ribs (though I think he is a great admirer of Achatz and there may have been some borrowing going on).

I'm sure I've seen them elsewhere as well.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com