• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef Season 4

KristiB50

A Chef could view the concept of presenting “soup” as the ultimate challenge-a test of their skills to prove the critics wrong that yes; in fact I can create a memorable dish out of what is often seen as mundane.

I think this would be an excellent challenge, maybe a Quickfire. Maybe give them a limited number of ingredients? Or maybe let them have the sky as the limit? I'd like to see it. (I LOVE soup... :wub: )

A Chef could view the concept of presenting “soup” as the ultimate challenge-a test of their skills to prove the critics wrong that yes; in fact I can create a memorable dish out of what is often seen as mundane.

I think this would be an excellent challenge, maybe a Quickfire. Maybe give them a limited number of ingredients? Or maybe let them have the sky as the limit? I'd like to see it. (I LOVE soup... :wub: )

I think that's an excellent idea. I love that kind of test for a Chef. It would be sort of like the challenge the Chefs faced a few weeks back-to create an "upscale" version of a "taco"-a dish many of them looked upon as merely street-food.

While we aren't quite yet at the mid-point of the season, I think we have seen the horse race settle into the clubhouse turn and in my mind there are some Chefs leading the race, some in the middle-of-the-pack and some trailers......

Leaders-

Richard-out of the gate quick, took a bit of a mis-step last week, but should be up and running in the lead again.

Andrew-Unsettled in the saddle but may have a lot of unrealized potential not yet seen. Tends to get easily "lathered," (sweaty and bothered).

Stephanie-Quietly winning without a lot of fanfare, has shown deft skills that may surprise some in the backstretch.

Middle of the Pack-

Antonia-a sleeper that could put in a come from behind run.

Lisa-another sleeper in the running. Showed a lot of "Fire" last week with an ingenious take on bacon with miso.

Mark-quiet Aussie that hasn't really dazzled, not yet.

Spike-probably more talk and sassy hat than substance, but could present some surprises.

Dale-if he can keep his hands out of his pants, may finish strong.

Trailing the Pack-

Jennifer-nothing in the first five weeks to show she's able to run the distance.

Nikki-really should probably be in a claiming race and not in a Grade I Handicap.

Ryan-although the outward appearance is one of a race horse, probably not enought stamina to make it to the wire in the front group.

So if this reporter called Andrew at Le Cirque, does that mean he was booted and is now back at work?

Not necessarily. It takes a while to get a winner's restaurant up and running. Even though Ilan quit his job before the end of Top Chef, I believe Harold stayed at his until his own place was opened and launched. Ideally, I think TC would like to have a winner resume his duties as if nothing happened, but I don't know that they are contractually bound to. Ilan quit (and not for another job), and nothing untoward happened to him, TC-wise. Andrew probably was booted, but he could just be biding his time until his place opens, if he did win. And why not? Draw a salary until your dream unfolds.

Sorry I have not read all 17 pages of this thread but, where is Bourdain's blog about this season? I loved his comments last season. Bravo TV site links to a "Vote for Bourdain's Blog" page but I cannot find his blog, am I missing it?

http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Chef/season/4/blogs/index.php

Thanks

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

Sorry I have not read all 17 pages of this thread but, where is Bourdain's blog about this season?  I loved his comments last season.  Bravo TV site links to a "Vote for Bourdain's Blog" page but I cannot find his blog, am I missing it?

http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Chef/season/4/blogs/index.php

Thanks

No blog. Go here for details.

Just finished the episode. HOW IS NIKKI STILL THERE!!!! GOD! She's truly awful. I'm pretty glad to see Ryan leave though, he's pretty much the definition of sycophant douche bag. As far as Mark goes, I think he has some potential still.

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

Dating myself here...

OK my family is total Bears fans and seeing all those guys so made me wanna bust out into The Super Bowl Shuffle!! :biggrin:

I was hoping Nicky would go home. It's her time and she didn't save enough for the judges? I seriously would have set aside 4 servings of peppers and onions.

I really thought Mark would go because double dipping in front of the judges? Ewww!

What was with the guest judge with the zero personality? It was like Debbie Downer does Top Chef. She literally put me to sleep. And on one of my favorite subjects....beer! :wub:

And I just read her interview on the website, she does not even watch the show because she does not have cable.

Edited by Doodad (log)

What was with the guest judge with the zero personality?  It was like Debbie Downer does Top Chef.  She literally put me to sleep. 

She looked dirty too. She's most in need of a faux-hawk. :wink:

Gail has moved on from burnt.rubbery.eggs to rosemary rants.

I saw on the Bravo site they're casting for next season...

Edited by KristiB50 (log)

so far this season has been more "top caterer" than "top chef"

the producers really need to come up with some challenges that test the chef's skills without turning the show into a catering event.

last night was kinda fun to watch, but i'm growing tired of the: prep your stuff the night before, pack into a cooler, wheel the cooler to event of the week, and cook everything on a grill.

i really don't think it's a fair assessment of the chef's skills.

so far this season has been more "top caterer" than "top chef"

the producers really need to come up with some challenges that test the chef's skills without turning the show into a catering event.

last night was kinda fun to watch, but i'm growing tired of the: prep your stuff the night before, pack into a cooler, wheel the cooler to event of the week, and cook everything on a grill.

i really don't think it's a fair assessment of the chef's skills.

Yes and no. Until they get to the episode where they have the two faux restaurants it's a good way to assess that they can feed people in volume.

According to the IMDB episode guide we have four more episodes until Restaurant Wars.

The previews for the improv episode look odd.

Ryan did need to go, but that boy has the gift of gab and with his looks, there is high potential for him to make it onto the Food Network, maybe right before Paula Dean. Bobby Flay could explain the concept of grilling outdoors to him, that would probably involve an obscene amount of blue cornmeal use for a Bears Tailgate.

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

That guy Ryan is the dictionary definition of the word Deuche.. A self proclaimed Metro Sexual, with zero style, or Metro Sexualocity.. I dont even think he had his eyebrows done.. He looked like a poormans version of someone who is trying to be an Abercrombie Model.. He has made a failed attempt at being a cheeseball.. If he would have said closet homosexual, he would have a better chance of pulling it off..

The reason why I feel he should have gone home, besides being annoying and conceited was the fact that he defended his dish.. Even when leaving he didnt feel what he made was crap, he just felt it was too sophisticated for a tailgate.. And although the judges did mention it had no business being at a tailgate, they said at a restaurant the food would have sucked..

The guy from that 70's show at least new his food sucked.. And the chick also could have lost for busting out store bought sawseeg, but in the end, I was happy to see Ryan get tossed out..

The world just isnt ready for his "Metro Sexual" cuisine..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Ted's blog over on the Top Chef website sums it up nicely -- those that succeed are those that know their audience, play to them, and add their own creative twist.

Not making your own sausage, and licking your spoon and re-using it are cardinal sins on this show...but Ryan was just so off. Even if the food was fine, how would you expect people that don't have a table to cut up a piece of chicken? Or a pear?

Coincidentally, I've had a sandwich very similar to Richard's at Tap, a new brewpub in midtown Atlanta (it is also at its sister restaurant, Room at Twelve, I've heard). It's a great sandwich, and obviously excellently partnered with a beer.

OH man! I wish I could've been there to see Dale meet Gale Sayers. You can see what a professional he is when Sayers walks up and he chats, but never stops cooking. Consumate professional. Then The Refrigerator shows up and Richard Dent!!!! and he continues to work. Wow. Big day for Dale.

Then Spike. Oh Spike. Can you see how the editors/director set you up to look stupid. They left in the line "When was the last time the Bears won a Superbowl?" You could almost hear the call to the hit man being made.

Then Nikki and Ryan. I pegged it last week (maybe no here) but said Ryan or Nikki would be the next to go. They didn't disappoint. However, before the announcement was made, I almost wished they'd just have said, "we're going to cut this one short and all three of you are going home!"

Next week, Nikki. Aack if I hear her say one more time "I don't eat or drink ..." This isn't about what you eat. It's about what you serve to the public! And did we really need to know she almost crapped herself? No.

What was Gail wearing at the tasting? Leggings over jeans?

Ryan got to go home because he wasn't teachable.

Edited by tmgrobyn (log)
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

Watching Ryan last night, I finally figured him out........ he's Patrick Bateman (American Psycho)..... someone who knows how to parrot what it is to be stylish, friendly, outgoing, hip, etc......but basically has no soul or originality of his own. He's lost in the Ryan character and doesn't know how annoyingly transparent he is. In other words.........total douchebag.

Nikki......in the name of all that is holy, how did she even make it onto the show? She's better suited for Hell's Kitchen, and maybe that is even a stretch.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011