• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef Season 4

KristiB50

Can someone give me some background on why Blais is so well known?

His name sounds familiar to me and I am aware he is an established chef but I just don't know what for...

Click here for the Society file on Richard Blais.

Thanks, sorry I probably could have searched on my own.

I am glad they cut Nimma and not the other guy (name escapes me). The basic cooking 101 execution mistakes should always, in my opinion, be the determining factor in ejecting someone over other issues such as dish conceptualization, odd flavor combos, etc.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

I believe that was Andrew, who didn't know how to make mayo. I too hope he exits soon. Like next week. But I'm afraid we'll be seeing him for at least a few weeks.

Um...I think that exchange about the egg yolk and oil was a joke, y'all. He was being snarky. No way a pro cook doesn't know how to make mayo. No way-o. (Sorry)

I hope so, but as tmjrobin posted, it seemed like he was using that stick blender for a really long time. The editing sure didn't make seem like a joke.

Was it just first show jitters for the production crew or will the editing always make it excruciatingly obvious who is going home?

Often it's obvious but once in a while they fake you out. Same with Project Runway.

Also, no prizes were handed out to the challenge winner?

Once or twice last season we didn't get to see what the winner got (Sara won an entire stocked pantry but I only learned that watching her exit video), but they always won something. Unless there are no prizes this season I'd guess that's the case here.

Ohhhh but Andrew is annoying.

When I saw the list of "Classic dishes", I was smiling. I'm pretty sure I could pull off anyone of them fairly well. I've been somewhat embedded in the so called classics the last couple of years. I usually research each one thouroughly prior to my first attempt. Except Chicken Piccata, I've been making Piccata in veal and chicken form since the 80's. My recipe is solid, I've openly shared it with anyone who asks and I've gotten many compliments. I use bread crumbs. So when they got to the Chicken Piccata, the first thing I said is "That's not chicken piccata!", as they were setting the plates down. Then the judges started discussing how chicken piccatta is made. All the judges agreed that you use egg and flour. Tom Collichio refers to the dishes presented as being A la Milanaise. Which is correct, sort of.

From the Oxford Dictionary- milanaise, à la Dish garnished with spaghetti, tomato sauce, and ham or tongue. Also food dipped in egg and a mixture of breadcrumbs and cheese, then fried.

Collichio then says that it's supposed to be prepared with egg and flour.

Chicken dipped in flour and egg is what I know as Chicken Francese.

Chicken Francese Recipe

Back when I first started making the dish (Piccata) I used flour mixed with grated parmesagn, but at some point migrated to seasoned bread crumbs with parmesagn. Both are barely noticable and help the chicken to brown.

Chicken Piccata Recipe from Bon Appetite 1998

Anyways, my point is that everyone got it wrong, including me, for using bread crumbs. But, hey that's the way I make it.

As a side note, I guess VEAL Piccata would have been too politically incorrect to do on the show. Odd that no one minds when they eat all that food with veal stock and demiglace, but put a tender piece of young calf in front of them and they scream like little girls.

just my 2¢

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

Was no one else appalled that Andrew didn't know how to make mayo? Guess he was too busy trying to sound like a playa to learn that... :hmmm:

Good point, I had forgotten about that. I mean, it's common for regular people not to know, but as a chef? You've got to me kidding me. Even if you always buy it jarred, isn't that one of those pieces of knowledge that you just have in that profession? It's like the classic sauce to end all classic sauces! The one we still use everywhere!

It is if you want to serve anything with a flavored Aioli.

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

It seems the contestants are stronger this year, and I hope that leads to less contrived challenges. There should be variety and creativeness, but not to the point of it being silly.

And yeah, Andrew is my least favorite. I think it said he's 30, but he speaks like a foul-mouthed kid with a 5th-grade vocabulary.

All I can say is, "Thank God it's back." Couple of questions though.

1. What did they do to Bourdain? He looked like a nice tame kitten. I don't want him to be a kitten. He was pleasant and delightful, which is all fine and good, but when presented with some of those dishes??? Why have him on if you're going to edit him into a Hallmark sentiment? It's not what his draw is.

2. I've made Chicken Piccata for years. I've always seasoned it, dredged it in flour, then cooked it. There has never been an egg involved not once. I thought I'd lost my mind (which may be true anyway) and I went on the net and scoured Chicken Piccata recipes. Not one called for an egg. I knew the guy who was trying to add tomatoes cause confusing Chicken Piccata and Chicken Marsala, but Tom, Tom, Tom... just like you said Pineapple Upside Down Cake was made with a Genoise (not in my house, but maybe somewhere else. I use baking powder as a leavener in my Pineapple Upside Down Cake), Chicken Picatta is not dipped in flour, then egg. That just sounds wrong to me. I could be very wrong about this, but I don't think so. The orange might have worked, if there was enough other acidity to balance the flavor. Hmm, what about blood orange? Hmmmm.

3. Where is Bourdain's blog on this episode? I want Bourdain's take. I want unedited Tony-Snark. I need my fix man.

4. What doofus jones goes to a Chicago for a cooking show and does not research Deep Dish pizza? You need to add the cheese before the sauce. I wish they's shown that. I suspect they showed Uno's because it was the first deep dish place in Chicago. I vastly prefer Giordano's, but Uno's was number one, is a national chain and therefore can pay for the spot.

My husband said the way to ensure your airtime was to park it in front of the Glad Bags. Snort.

All in all, Top Chef is brilliant and I am loving the season. You can tell the bar has been raised and thank God, cause one more insipid cooking show with much boobage and an overly smiling person trying to dumb down the food and I'm going to scream.

Edited by nliedel (log)

Blog.liedel.org

I watched the repeat last night.  My wife and I both noticed that several scenes were cut; more ads I guess.

from the original airing?

Yes, the first episode is 15 minutes longer than the rest but they edit it on reruns.

Ah, maybe that explains why I totally missed the mayo thing people are talking about.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I've done a search on the net and can't find it. It occurred to me that maybe the reason Nimma did not taste the shrimp could be because it's not Halal (as in compliing with Islams dietary law). I know fish and seafood are, but scavengers are not. Would a shrimp be considered a scavenger under Islamic law? I can't find a good source and usually I'm up on these things.

Blog.liedel.org

I watched the repeat last night.  My wife and I both noticed that several scenes were cut; more ads I guess.

from the original airing?

Yes, the first episode is 15 minutes longer than the rest but they edit it on reruns.

Ah, maybe that explains why I totally missed the mayo thing people are talking about.

Yes that was one of the ones cut, along with the shopping scene where Andrew is sneering at Richard. Makes Andrew's facial expression, when Richard pulls out first mayo and then the smoker, that much more satisfying.

Something was cut in the judgement as well; can't remember.

Yay a new season to snark over! Woo hoo!

The girl who won (Stephanie? Marie?) was my pick, and I hope she goes a long way, possibly to the win. I just loved her attitude, she's cute, and her food looked good. From what I saw, she's the kind of girl I'd want to be friends with.

I agreed with the one who was sent home. What a stick in the mud. With crappy food to boot. Who doesn't taste their stuff? I taste things before I serve them to my roommates; I can't imagine sending out untasted food to other chefs or food professionals.

Some of those guys, yeesh... tone the 'tude down a little. The foul mouths and unnecessary smack-talking are a real turn off. I hope the worst perpetrators are eliminated quickly.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think the dude who took two pans during the quick fire challenge should have been penalized for it?

Why wasn't Tom in the kitchen? I've always like that element of the show and hope they aren't dropping it.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

Is it just me, or does anyone else think the dude who took two pans during the quick fire challenge should have been penalized for it?

It's not just you. I wanted to corner him and let him have it.

Which is no fun, or so I've been told by my kids. Who would rather have no TV, than a mom lecture.

Blog.liedel.org

I thought Richard taking two pans was kind of strange too. The second one was not in use yet so why did the guy not ask for it? And why did they only have one pan per chef and not mention that? Or maybe they did and it got cut.

2. I've made Chicken Piccata for years. I've always seasoned it, dredged it in flour, then cooked it. There has never been an egg involved not once. I thought I'd lost my mind (which may be true anyway) and I went on the net and scoured Chicken Piccata recipes. Not one called for an egg. I knew the guy who was trying to add tomatoes cause confusing Chicken Piccata and Chicken Marsala, but Tom, Tom, Tom... just like you said Pineapple Upside Down Cake was made with a Genoise (not in my house, but maybe somewhere else. I use baking powder as a leavener in my Pineapple Upside Down Cake), Chicken Picatta is not dipped in flour, then egg. That just sounds wrong to me. I could be very wrong about this, but I don't think so. The orange might have worked, if there was enough other acidity to balance the flavor. Hmm, what about blood orange? Hmmmm.

Hee! I caught that too and was wondering if I was doing it wrong all this time since Tom was adamant that it was cooked with egg. Now granted, he's not as far off base from the recipe as that guy's horrific attempt was, but it still would be a different texture and effect. And no mention of capers, either.

Edited by Kevin72 (log)

When I saw the list of "Classic dishes", I was smiling. I'm pretty sure I could pull off anyone of them fairly well. I've been somewhat embedded in the so called classics the last couple of years. I usually research each one thouroughly prior to my first attempt. Except Chicken Piccata, I've been making Piccata in veal and chicken form since the 80's. My recipe is solid, I've openly shared it with anyone who asks and I've gotten many compliments. I use bread crumbs. So when they got to the Chicken Piccata, the first thing I said is "That's not chicken piccata!", as they were setting the plates down. Then the judges started discussing how chicken piccatta is made. All the judges agreed that you use egg and flour. Tom Collichio refers to the dishes presented as being A la Milanaise. Which is correct, sort of.

From the Oxford Dictionary- milanaise, à la Dish garnished with spaghetti, tomato sauce, and ham or tongue. Also food dipped in egg and a mixture of breadcrumbs and cheese, then fried.

Collichio then says that it's supposed to be prepared with egg and flour.

Chicken dipped in flour and egg is what I know as Chicken Francese.

Chicken Francese Recipe

Back when I first started making the dish (Piccata) I used flour mixed with grated parmesagn, but at some point migrated to seasoned bread crumbs with parmesagn. Both are barely noticable and help the chicken to brown.

Chicken Piccata Recipe from Bon Appetite 1998

Anyways, my point is that everyone got it wrong, including me, for using bread crumbs. But, hey that's the way I make it.

As a side note, I guess VEAL Piccata would have been too politically incorrect to do on the show. Odd that no one minds when they eat all that food with veal stock and demiglace, but put a tender piece of young calf in front of them and they scream like little girls.

just my 2¢

What's your recipe? I'd love to try it.

--- KensethFan

I watched most of that episode last night and was amazed by the imtimidation factor that the souffle had. Heck that probably would have been my first choice. Other than that I too am jonesing for Bourdain's blog.

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

Yay a new season to snark over! Woo hoo!

The girl who won (Stephanie? Marie?) was my pick, and I hope she goes a long way, possibly to the win. I just loved her attitude, she's cute, and her food looked good. From what I saw, she's the kind of girl I'd want to be friends with.

I agreed with the one who was sent home. What a stick in the mud. With crappy food to boot. Who doesn't taste their stuff? I taste things before I serve them to my roommates; I can't imagine sending out untasted food to other chefs or food professionals.

Some of those guys, yeesh... tone the 'tude down a little. The foul mouths and unnecessary smack-talking are a real turn off. I hope the worst perpetrators are eliminated quickly.

Why wasn't Tom in the kitchen? I've always like that element of the show and hope they aren't dropping it.

I agree with you on all counts. Wanted the gal from Chicago to win ... thought they sent the right one home ... enough with the profanity ... and the guy who took two pans was a jerk.

I also wondered about Tom not being in the kitchen, them not naming a winner, and not giving a prize to the winner (other than picking your opponent). And where the heck is Bourdain's blog on the whole matter? BTW, I don't know if anyone else reads the official Top Chef blogs, but I always like Harold's.

And when Tom read the description of the piccata, I remember him saying something about capers being optional.

My blog: Rah Cha Chow

My, my, it feels like it has been so long since Hung presented us with that wonderful dish of Black Chicken with Geoduck. (No, I'm not making fun of Hung, Black Chickens or Geoduck. I thought that dish was one of the most creative and delicious looking presentations from Top Chef Season 3). Yet here we are again, with Padma, Tom, the contestants and what I suspect will be a painfully long season of listening to the musings of Rocco.

But I am glad to be back in your fine company reporting on my views of the 4th season of Top Chef. So with a strong Gin and Tonic at my side, off I go with some thoughts on the bottom four chefs from Episode #1.

I find it quite incredible that these four even got to this point. As in incredibly confusing. I am sure one of our fellow eGullet friends can explain the screening process for Top Chef in depth. That explanation would help me understand, or confuse me more, as to how these four even got selected for the show.

Based on the bios I have read on the Top Chef site, all of the chefs have impressive resumes. But I guess an impressive resume and a poor-quality, amateur video submission can get you through the Top Chef selection maze. I just found the efforts of the bottom four disappointing for a number of reasons and I guess I would expect more from a young chef fortunate enough to be in the position of competing on Top Chef.

The failures of the bottom four chefs seemed to focus on the areas of technique, (not knowing or respecting the classic tradition of a dish), presentation (not everything these days should be "deconstructed"), and not choosing a dish that lends itself to the constraints of the competition ("I have a lot going on, I'm making gnocchi, what was I thinking, I hope I can do it in 90 minutes").

Of course, taste is the ultimate measure of the success of a dish, not the simple observations of a guy watching from Eastern Washington. As I mentioned last year, my opinions are merely based on what I see on television, so I am not in the position to give an intellectual opinion based on the ultimate judge of a dish which is the taste.

Mark-I probably am forgetting the details of Mark's dish, but did he serve a "Wasabi Martini" with his dish of "Deconstructed Duck a L'Orange?" Huh. I understand taking a turn to Asia in stylizing the dish, but a Wasabi Martini? Maybe I was the one drinking the Martini's. Mark looked absolutley crushed when the judges said his dish was a mess. It was. I don't know about you, but I personally think this trend of "deconstructing" a dish is getting tired. If it is done for the right reasons and makes sense, and the diner experiences new taste sensations for a classic dish, o.k. But I am getting tired of this little thimbel of a milkshake, a shot of vodka, or a teacup of espresso at the end of a "three-ways" plate. That's the first thing I thought of when I saw Mark's dish. He was trying to do something trendy and he didn't pull it off. He should use the feedback of the judges as a positive catalyst to pull it together next week.

Ryan-the man who knew he was going to be in the weeds when the stove was turned on. During a brief on-camera interview, Mark said "I have a lot of ingredients, I'm making gnocchi, what was I thinking, I don't think I can pull it off." Yeah Mark. I'll stay out of the egg and flour vs. egg, flour, bread crumb debate over how Mark's chicken should have been prepared. I just think the guy is funny and if he doesn't win Top Chef, he has a career in politics. Padma was literally without words after Mark's tongue twisting, speak in tongues, circle the wagons answer to the judges questions about his dish. "What did he say?" I don't know Padma, but it was funny.

Erick-I sort of like the Gilligan's Island retro hat and the star tattoo on Erick's neck. It's the intense, angry, hip, young chef look. If only Erick had applied the same intensity to his souffle. I do give him credit for admitting he "hadn't cooked a souffle in 20 years." But Erick, why did you discredit a classic dish by creating what in your own words was "a bad dish of nachos?" His plate was a mess with that gloppy spread of avocado on the dish. Listen to Bourdain, "a souffle is supposed to rise, so don't weigh it down with all that other stuff." Like tortilla strips and what I think Erick said was salsa. It looked like some black sort of relish to me.

Nimma-Poor, poor Nimma. Rather than show some small measure of interest in her fellow chefs, Nimma's self-imposed exile to the bedroom was only a precursor of the loneliness that would raise its ugly head once again in her feeble attempt at "Shrimp Scampi." I did note that the shrimp looked plump and had bright red tails-credit probably going to the crew behind the scenes that bought good quality, fresh shrimp. But the poor little devils, sitting all alone off to the side of the plate. It looked as though they were trying to swim away from that pallid pool of cauliflower mush. That's what it looked like, white cornmeal mush. Now I like cornmeal mush, or grits, with my shrimp, but this was supposed to be a dish of "Shrimp Scampi." I may be wrong, I often am, but it has always been my understanding that Shrimp Scampi sings with copious amounts of garlic and butter and is accompanied by a nest of spaghetti or linguine. What I saw were two shrimp and a spreading pool of pureed cauliflower. I do not give Nimma points for realizing the planned "Cauliflower Custard" was not setting properly so she made a change-up at the last minute and served an apparent runny version of Cauliflower Custard. Does Nimma believe in the "minimalist" art of cuisine? Did you happen to see any garnishes on her plate? Any sprinkle of snipped chives or a sprig of fresh oregano? I didn't. I saw white prawns with little red tails and white cauliflower on a white plate. Goodbye and Good Luck.