• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef Season 4

KristiB50

The outcome will be interesting. Dale was actually tolerable this time around too.
Dale kind of redeemed himself to me last night.

wow. dale, intentionally or not, left stephanie's raw pork out of the reefer all night. whether he's duplicitous enough to have done it on purpose, i dunno. he seemed genuinely apologetic...maybe. in any case, in my eyes, he proved why he should be gone already...not only did he screw up, big time, he could have screwed up FOR stephanie, if she weren't (a) a thinker, and (b) a class act!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Next season, they need to change up the rules and keep a running score, make the performance history mean something.

It'll never happen: the extra drama the current rules provide by allowing an underdog to make the finals, or an accomplished chef to be eliminated any time, makes for good television. I have to keep reminding myself that this is a TV show, not a real competition. The aim is to entertain, not to choose the best chef.

I have to disagree on this. It was true that the first two seasons were more about the entertainment aspect, and the show would not be on the air if it did not actually entertain and therefore, achieve ratings. But the fact that, after Season Two, they made an effort (supposedly at Chef Colicchio's urging) to seek out better-qualified contestant's leads me to believe that there is a serious intent to find the best chef. this is not Hell's Kitchen where the object is to watch Chef Ramsey explode at some peon who's normal job is as short-order cook or deli worker (no offense to short-order cooks or delis!). The cheftestants have some serious work experience and I think the producers and all involved want very much to avoid the embarassing possibility of a clearly-inferior cheftestant winning the whole thing. I think a running tally - as a smaller aspect of the total decision (counting as 25% of the total decision?) and / or a more formal scoring system than just talking it out, may be worthy of consideration.

I don't excuse Lisa, who has simply been consistently not ba enough to be the worst at every crucial point. But in this episode more than any other to now, the judges paid attention to the style of the chefs as it played out in the local cuisine. It seems to me that Richard won because he didn't let his style be warped by catering to local custom (he said as much, I think). He bent but didn't break. Antonia broke.

Also, when was the last time Richard pulled out one of his toys? He's got to be getting tired of hearing Tom say '"So, you're playing it safe tonight?'"Richard is a classically-trained cook whose bases are -- like Tom's -- flavor, texture and contrast.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I would bet the farm that Dale didn't do that on purpose.  He and Steph never had any problems (that we saw at least).  Plus he made up for it pretty well.

I agree, but if his mind wasn't preoccupied with 'some crazy thing' he probably wouldn't have spaced out on the poke belly...

:hmmm::angry::sad:

I have the utmost respect for Richard and Stephanie (although the Blais is my sentimental favorite) Either way, one of them has earned Top Chef with consistent cooking. I vote that whoever comes in second should be named Top Chef for last season replacing Ilan.

I would bet the farm that Dale didn't do that on purpose.  He and Steph never had any problems (that we saw at least).  Plus he made up for it pretty well.

:angry::sad:

Sounds harsh, but ultimately I blame Stephanie for the pork screw-up. If it was my future on the line I'd have done a walk-through before time was called just to be sure that everything was where it should've been. Esp the meat. High pressure situations breed errors and the only response is to be vigilant. You have to plan not to screw-up.

Poor Hung. Gone AND forgotten.

In the previews, Richard is heard saying something like, "Why is Lisa still here?" and perhaps that's the Elephant-in-the-room that he mentions to make everyone gasp and his own face turn red and gloomy.

Oh, please don't let that one bald statement pointing out the judges' ineptitude bias them against him for the finale.

I love both of the top two, but the clinker in the barrel still seems to have a lot of rattle left in her. Television :raz::wacko:

Edited by racheld (log)

:angry::sad:

Sounds harsh, but ultimately I blame Stephanie for the pork screw-up. If it was my future on the line I'd have done a walk-through before time was called just to be sure that everything was where it should've been. Esp the meat. High pressure situations breed errors and the only response is to be vigilant. You have to plan not to screw-up.

i agree, tho, the time pressures they put on these challenges don't always allow for much vigilance. it was ultimately on stephanie, and she was gracious, quick-thinking and professional about the (potentially catastrophic) mistake....but dale left the meat out. and, it wasn't his future on the line anymore.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Dear Bravo TV. I would like to contribute to the "Buy Gail a New Dress, You Cheap Bastards" Fund. Please let me know where to send my donation. I'm sick of looking at her in that blue and green checked sack. Go ahead, Bravo, live big.  :cool:

This article talks about the dress. NY MagazinePretty funny. Especially the addition of Gail's response. :biggrin:

Edited by tmgrobyn (log)
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

What's wrong with Ilan?  Are you on the "saffron and paprika" bandwagon with Marcel?

Nope, but that season's crew wasn't the most consistent. Anyone throwing stones at Dale for his asian themed cooking could just as easily hurl them at Ilan for his spanish style.

What's wrong with Ilan?  Are you on the "saffron and paprika" bandwagon with Marcel?

Nope, but that season's crew wasn't the most consistent. Anyone throwing stones at Dale for his asian themed cooking could just as easily hurl them at Ilan for his spanish style.

I would of hurled it at Ilan, if I wasn't so distracted by Marcel's incessant foam at every quick fire and elimination challenge.

Dear Antonia, I would come eat at your restaurant any time. I'm sorry you are gone. Tell your kid her Mommy IS a winner.  :wub:

Dear Stephanie, teaming up people to their benefit was a generous and gracious choice.  :wub: Not tearing Dale a new one, also pretty much up there with sainthood, imo.

Dear Bravo TV. I would like to contribute to the "Buy Gail a New Dress, You Cheap Bastards" Fund. Please let me know where to send my donation. I'm sick of looking at her in that blue and green checked sack. Go ahead, Bravo, live big.  :cool:

Dear Richard, new babies smell even better than onions sauteing. Make sure you take time to nibble the baby feet.    :wub:

i'm with you on the buy Gail a new dress fund.... I could barely concentrate on the show I was so fasinated by that outfit...like watching a train wreck- don't want to look but can't stop. Padma, however rocked! Rooting for either Richard or Stephanie- both class acts. :biggrin:

ksoss

Dear Antonia, I would come eat at your restaurant any time. I'm sorry you are gone. Tell your kid her Mommy IS a winner.  :wub:

Dear Stephanie, teaming up people to their benefit was a generous and gracious choice.  :wub: Not tearing Dale a new one, also pretty much up there with sainthood, imo.

Dear Bravo TV. I would like to contribute to the "Buy Gail a New Dress, You Cheap Bastards" Fund. Please let me know where to send my donation. I'm sick of looking at her in that blue and green checked sack. Go ahead, Bravo, live big.   :cool:

Dear Richard, new babies smell even better than onions sauteing. Make sure you take time to nibble the baby feet.    :wub:

i'm with you on the buy Gail a new dress fund.... I could barely concentrate on the show I was so fasinated by that outfit...like watching a train wreck- don't want to look but can't stop. Padma, however rocked! Rooting for either Richard or Stephanie- both class acts. :biggrin:

I think the cut of Gail's dress was fine - obviously, she is boobacious naturally or nursing or both - but the freakin' pattern. OY! I don't care if it was Diane Von Furstenberg. The color combo and pattern gave me hives.

i'm with you on the buy Gail a new dress fund.... I could barely concentrate on the show I was so fasinated by that outfit...like watching a train wreck- don't want to look but can't stop.  Padma, however rocked!  Rooting for either Richard or Stephanie- both class acts.  :biggrin:

I think the cut of Gail's dress was fine - obviously, she is boobacious naturally or nursing or both - but the freakin' pattern.  OY!  I don't care if it was Diane Von Furstenberg.  The color combo and pattern gave me hives.

The cut is fine, actually, I think it fits her beautifully. It's the fact that it makes me nauseated to look at the pattern and she's worn it about ten times.

Edited by pax (log)
“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

I think Gail's very attractive. But it's usually the cut and drape of Gail's outfits that fall short first -- then there's color, and then there's material. With the exception of the tailgate challenge where she wore the Bears jersey, I've smacked my head at every choice she's made. I don't think Bravo tells Tony or Ted what to wear (except when they put Tony in that too small chef's jacket), and therefore whatever Gail buys and wears is her decision and at her expense. This last one is by far the best for a long time, even though the colors were a funky 1970s window covering sort of thing. It made the best of her figure and didn't look dowdy. But I think somebody shot the couch and made that dress.

I think Gail is sexy. I guess us guys don't pay as much attention to the clothes. Padma is hot, but I imagine she'd just gripe at me all the time.

As for the SHOW, I was sad to see Antonia go. It would have been more fun to see three classy, intelligent, excellent chefs in the final. And if that had happened, I wouldn't have been bummed no matter who won. But I'm sure Stephanie or Richard will rise to the top. If not, it will be a shock.

Huh, I have to say that the hosts' clothes honestly never make an impression on me. Anyway, I wonder if winning the car will jinx Richard. On Survivor, the contestant who wins the car never ever wins the whole thing.

Huh, I have to say that the hosts' clothes honestly never make an impression on me. Anyway, I wonder if winning the car will jinx Richard. On Survivor, the contestant who wins the car never ever wins the whole thing.

I had a surreal little Bob Barker moment when they drove that thing out. "A Neeeeeew Caaaaaaar!"

:laugh:

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

I had a surreal little Bob Barker moment when they drove that thing out. "A Neeeeeew Caaaaaaar!"

:laugh:

Pax, I was right there with you...