• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef Season 4

KristiB50

To quote a former contestant, Dale is a "douchebag and a tool" .

Certainly no more so than Lisa or Spike.

I don't know about "certainly."

Although on the other hand, my main reaction to Dale was that he wasn't particularly a douchebag; it was more like "Here is a person having a meltdown." At one point he commented that he'd drunk a case of beer and a bottle of champagne-- before he went off on Lisa, I think. He looked like someone on the verge of nervous collapse. I felt bad for him.

I hope the bad 80's aerobics class headbands don't continue into next season. Other than that, I've enjoyed the shows each week. I gather with friends and we cook for Top Chef dinners...until this week. I'm moving again!

All I know is her stylist must have told her to go to the doctor, then go to the mountains, look to the children and drink from the fountains

OK. You owe me a new laptop. I spewed coffee all over it when I read that.

That might be the best thing I've ever read on eGullet.

Spike almost went home in that boxed lunch episode where he picked lettuce, bread, and tomatoes.. He served a pretty ugly looking lunch to the Po, Po... Frozen scallops. what the hell.. If they were that ugly, why didnt he wrap bacon around them and serve them a la Mortons, or just chop them up and make them into a paste, or a sausage, or poach them...

There are things you can do with a scallop besides searing them.. But sitting here in my apartment, there is a lot less pressure.

I watched the show again last night and it reminded me that I really like Hung. It looked like he was about to stand up when Gail and Padma appeared at the table and then didn't when no one else made a move. His smile is so cute. Definitely my favorite of the three winners so far.

Meanwhile, my husband is furious because he doesn't think they are using Chicago well enough. I'm trying to think-- have they used other locations much better? I just don't know; I'm not as familar with the other places they taped.

I'm finally caught up, I've been doing 14-15 hr. days every day for the past 3 weeks (our other cook quit, probably just going to suck it up and not replace him... sometimes it's easier just to work more than find good help around here) and fell behind on the show. I DL'd and watched the 3 episodes I was behind on (probably should have been sleeping) so now I can read all of the comments without getting spoilers. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Spike almost went home in that boxed lunch episode where he picked lettuce, bread, and tomatoes.. He served a pretty ugly looking lunch to the Po, Po... Frozen scallops. what the hell.. If they were that ugly, why didnt he wrap bacon around them and serve them a la Mortons, or just chop them up and make them into a paste, or a sausage, or poach them...

There are things you can do with a scallop besides searing them.. But sitting here in my apartment, there is a lot less pressure.

Agreed, but I also remember Colicchio saying something about "if they were that bad don't use them" and I wonder if it was a case of (in the behind the scenes rule reading that LeeAnn does before each comp) he had to use them since he picked them.

My biggest problem was having Ilan on my TV again. One can hope that his demeanor and performance might encourage the producers to lose his invitation to the next alumni judging panel. Although I wouldn't mind him showing up to judge a Spanish-themed challenge. With Jose Andres. Who could squash him into oblivion.

I would pay big, BIG money for that ! Ilan is such a joke.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

You dont have to pay big money for Ilan's cooking, Casa Mono is well priced.. And whats best is, Casa Mono has seasonal menus.. I am sure it take Ilan a little longer to copy there menu, then it does for the chef's at Casa Mono to make it themselves..

Same thing with Jose Andres, I am sure Jose cooks his food better then Ilan would copy it..

Edited by Daniel (log)

I

As for Spike, he should have known better to use frozen scallops, but like others have said, was it a mistake in a delivery, or a plant to see who would bite, because why else would there be something frozen in a restaurant of that caliber.

Great episode.  Thanks to the person who added the Bourdain link.

Hey, Conspiracy Theory #29 - maybe the frozen scallops were PLANTED in Tramonto's freezer, just to see if any chef had the bad judgment to use them? Nifty theory, eh? Eh?! :cool:

according to this chicago tribune posting, that's exactly what happened.

"The frozen scallops in the walk-in freezer at Tramonto’s Steak & Seafood were part of the challenge on “Top Chef,” said Rick Tramonto, executive chef and co-owner, and not part of the restaurant's inventory.

“Their team purchased all the food and put it in the coolers,” he explained, saying he felt that most people realized it was part of the challenge. He just wants to set the record straight. “They put those in the mix to see ... who would use them or not.” And certainly Spike went for them. “It’s interesting that he had first choice and he obviously didn’t have to use them” but he did anyway.""

hmm, that's not exactly what Colicchio said in his blog."Along with the high-end steaks they had provided for the show, Allen Bros. had included a variety of other products to round out the restaurant’s existing stock, including frozen scallops, which is how they came to be in Tramonto’s walk-in. I learned later that Rick knew this when we taped the show, but chose not to make a federal case out of it. But as a colleague and fan of Rick’s, I feel it’s important to set the record straight."

I smell.........spin! :cool:

After a week of thinking about it, I finally decided to go see how much AB steaks cost and if maybe my wife would let me buy a couple to try if I were to get her some kind of diamond jewelry as a bribe. Well, low and behold I found this;

Are these the same scallops that were used on the "Frozen Scallop" episode?

I'm rather confused if they are, at that price wouldn't Allen Brothers be kind of upset as a sponser to have the show dogging their product so harshly?

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

I am guessing they are not the same, since those specifically say they are dry (no preservatives), and there is no indication that they are actually frozen. My understanding was that the frozen scallops were also "wet." Of course, who really knows... we didn't get to see the brand on those scallops.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Meanwhile, my husband is furious because he doesn't think they are using Chicago well enough. I'm trying to think-- have they used other locations much better? I just don't know; I'm not as familar with the other places they taped.

I think they used San Francisco and Napa Valley the best in Season one. the others have been about the same as this season.

I am guessing they are not the same, since those specifically say they are dry (no preservatives), and there is no indication that they are actually frozen. My understanding was that the frozen scallops were also "wet." Of course, who really knows... we didn't get to see the brand on those scallops.

They say they are "iced" aboard ship.

Those look about the same as the IQF dry scallops Trader Joe's has. Those certainly do sear up well.

The wet pack IQF scallops on the other hand are OK for something like adding to risotto or on pizza but really don't lend themselves well to searing.

Edited by 6ppc (log)

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

I'm finally caught up, I've been doing 14-15 hr. days every day for the past 3 weeks (our other cook quit, probably just going to suck it up and not replace him... sometimes it's easier just to work more than find good help around here) and fell behind on the show. I DL'd and watched the 3 episodes I was behind on (probably should have been sleeping) so now I can read all of the comments without getting spoilers. :biggrin:

Tri2Cook, does "DL'd" mean you downloaded the episodes, and if so, from where? My tv died last Tuesday and I have been trying to find a way to download TC episodes. I can only find up to the "Common Threads" on the Bravo website, so any sources would be greatly appreciated.

Tri2Cook, does "DL'd" mean you downloaded the episodes, and if so, from where?  My tv died last Tuesday and I have been trying to find a way to download TC episodes.  I can only find up to the "Common Threads" on the Bravo website, so any sources would be greatly appreciated.

Last season used to be available from Itunes but Bravo pulled all of its content from ITunes some time ago. A quick google search reveals that Season 4 can be purchased individually or entirely from Amazon Unbox.

Edited by 6ppc (log)

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

Tri2Cook, does "DL'd" mean you downloaded the episodes, and if so, from where?  My tv died last Tuesday and I have been trying to find a way to download TC episodes.  I can only find up to the "Common Threads" on the Bravo website, so any sources would be greatly appreciated.

You can watch them here at Hulu

http://www.hulu.com/top-chef

It is a two part series according to my cable guide.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Last season used to be available from Itunes but Bravo pulled all of its content from ITunes some time ago. A quick google search reveals that Season 4 can be purchased individually or entirely from Amazon Unbox.

Thanks!

Padma finished her beer before the guest chef had a few sips in the quickfire :biggrin:

Then she boogied.

I love Padma!

I was really happy for Richard.

Someone on my other board said Lisa holds her head back like a chicken ready to peck. That is so accurate.

It bugs me Lisa stayed but I know she won't win. Or hope she won't anyway. Oh and Lisa's comments to the others about the lack of congrats cracked me up. And Richard, "congrats you won the bronze?"

Next week is the finale! I still love the show despite the product placement and will miss it.

I want to go to Puerto Rico, now!

I thought it was a pretty good penultimate competition. I am so bummed about having to watch Lisa for another episode. :angry: But I got a kick out of seeing Richard win the car after coming in second so many times. Stephanie's still my girl, though. :wub:

:wub: Awe Richard! :wub: He is the best. Stephanie is totally amazing too, but Richard just has caught my attention big time. I felt bad for Dale. He goofed up and knew it could cost Steph. Thank goodness she went with the chicharrones. I was hoping someone would do them and was surprised Richard didn't. It was quite good to hear Richard voice an opinion about some people this time.

Then there's :angry: girl. She is something else. All I can say is always a bridesmaid... hear it echo for years :angry: girl!

It's a toss up as far as a winner. Richard or Stephanie either one will be fine. The are both top notch people. I was worried when Richard won the car he'd give it to Spike. :biggrin: What a nice prize!

Does anyone know is there going to be a reunion show prior to the final? And, is the final live this year? If it's live it should be interesting as Richard's wife is expecting a baby anytime now. :smile:

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."