• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef Season 4

KristiB50

ok, what is it? 4 episodes remaining? I'm making predictions.

Next 2 weeks spike or lisa goes home (yay! who cares what order they fall!)

3rd week, Antonia bites it.

Richard wins the final.

Sticking to my guns on this one.

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

I too agree with Padma's lumpy ass....I was saying WTF?

I really really really wanted Lisa and that nasty look on her face to go home, but I will not fret, since she really can't go much farther.

My dough is on Stephanie!!!!!!!!!! She rocks.

As for Spike, he should have known better to use frozen scallops, but like others have said, was it a mistake in a delivery, or a plant to see who would bite, because why else would there be something frozen in a restaurant of that caliber.

Great episode. Thanks to the person who added the Bourdain link.

Thanks for the link; classic bourdain at his best.

I too am perplexed by choosing frozen scallops. There are few things worse than frozen wet pack scallops.

The quickfire was good although one would think that some of the contestants had never cut their own steaks before. I thought the PB Mash was going to be a disaster and was suprised that it was so well received. I'm not going to make that dish anytime soon though.

Harold had some pretty harsh words about Bourdain's subbing for Tom last week on his TC Season 4 Blog.

... I didn’t particularly enjoy seeing Anthony inside a chef’s coat walking around the kitchen. I just didn’t. It’s just not how I think of him. The guy’s not known for being a famous chef; his credibility does not lie in food. But the guy has never created amazing food, that’s not what he’s known for. He’s known for being a great book writer. While at Les Halles, he made bistro food and there is nothing wrong with that because it’s good but it’s not the type of stuff that gives you mass credibility and unquestioned knowledge from a food standpoint...

Harold's Blog

With any luck Bourdain will feel compelled to respond.

I too think Lisa will be out next week but one never knows...

Edited by 6ppc (log)

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

Richard wins the final.

I think Steph will win. Unless she blows it big time (and I don't think she will) there has to be some pressure--conscious or unconscious--to have a female winner. So all things being equal I think she would get the nod. But she is talented enough anyway to take the win, so my money's on her!

I didn't think I could dislike anyone more than Lisa on Top Chef this season. Then they brought on Ilan. He should have tasted more food and talked less about it. Nice seeing Hung and Harold, though.

Diana Burrell, freelance writer/author

The Renegade Writer's Query Letters That Rock (Marion Street Press, Nov. 2006)

DianaCooks.com

My eGullet blog

The Renegade Writer Blog

Who knows what thoughts lurked in the mind of Spike McStrategist, but blaming Chef Tramonto for the scallops (good enough for you to be here- good enough for me to use)? That's what happens when the game player overtakes the chef. Er, cook.

My biggest problem was having Ilan on my TV again. One can hope that his demeanor and performance might encourage the producers to lose his invitation to the next alumni judging panel. Although I wouldn't mind him showing up to judge a Spanish-themed challenge. With Jose Andres. Who could squash him into oblivion.

I too am perplexed by choosing frozen scallops. There are few things worse than frozen wet pack scallops.

The quickfire was good although one would think that some of the contestants had never cut their own steaks before. I thought the PB Mash was going to be a disaster and was suprised that it was so well received. I'm not going to make that dish anytime soon though.

Harold had some pretty harsh words about Bourdain's subbing for Tom last week on his TC Season 4 Blog.

... I didn’t particularly enjoy seeing Anthony inside a chef’s coat walking around the kitchen. I just didn’t. It’s just not how I think of him. The guy’s not known for being a famous chef; his credibility does not lie in food. But the guy has never created amazing food, that’s not what he’s known for. He’s known for being a great book writer. While at Les Halles, he made bistro food and there is nothing wrong with that because it’s good but it’s not the type of stuff that gives you mass credibility and unquestioned knowledge from a food standpoint...

Harold's Blog

Ouch, pretty harsh Harold. Let me know when you have put in the years on the line, written books, had a sitcom and several TV shows. Jerk.

A fun and different episode, but I still think Lisa should have gone home. Spike won the quickfire showed some decent skills. Lisa only got through because people didnt' end up hating her mashed potatoes with peanut butter.

They mentioned that spike had been on the bottom seven times, and lisa only five. maybe that helped her?

I loved that the quickfire challange involved butchering skills (I have always wanted to take a year off of work and intern with a butcher), but did it pain anyone else to see all of that intercostal meat and fat get trimmed away? That is one of the best parts of a bone-in rib-eye. I would have taken those trimmings back to the house with me. I loath Ilan (cooking off of the Casa Mono menu was no great achievement), but I agree with him about tenderloin being his least favorite cut, it ranks up there with chicken breasts for me.

I've never had sweetbreads-are they really like McNuggets as Stehanie said?

Actually, more like KFC's popcorn chicken. Fantastically yummy! Eating a perfectly prepared sweetbread for the first time was one of the best food revelations I've had in my life!

Richard wins the final.

I think Steph will win. Unless she blows it big time (and I don't think she will) there has to be some pressure--conscious or unconscious--to have a female winner. So all things being equal I think she would get the nod. But she is talented enough anyway to take the win, so my money's on her!

It also wouldn't surprise me to see Stephanie win a couple more challenges and then Richard win the final. She's already won a trip, kitchen appliances, etc etc...

I'd love it if she won the final. It definitely will be down to her and Richard. They are easily the best chefs on the show.

Born Free, Now Expensive

And another thing: Boy, it sure looked to me like Blais was going to bust out crying before they even got going at Judge's Table. They were just asking him about his dish, and his eyes were watering and it looked to me like he was having difficulty remaining composed. Anyone else sense that, or was it just me?

Richard wins the final.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see Stephanie win a couple more challenges and then Richard win the final. She's already won a trip, kitchen appliances, etc etc...

I'd love it if she won the final. It definitely will be down to her and Richard. They are easily the best chefs on the show.

I would like to see Stephanie win as well. I think her cooking style is great, straightforward, flavorful, hearty. Richard seems to be very talented, but of that group of chefs that focus so much on being different, complicated and creative. It works to a point. The appetizer last night sounded great, but that entree was so unappealing to me.

I

As for Spike, he should have known better to use frozen scallops, but like others have said, was it a mistake in a delivery, or a plant to see who would bite, because why else would there be something frozen in a restaurant of that caliber.

Great episode.  Thanks to the person who added the Bourdain link.

Hey, Conspiracy Theory #29 - maybe the frozen scallops were PLANTED in Tramonto's freezer, just to see if any chef had the bad judgment to use them? Nifty theory, eh? Eh?! :cool:

Harold's Blog

Ouch, pretty harsh Harold. Let me know when you have put in the years on the line, written books, had a sitcom and several TV shows. Jerk.

I think you just proved Harold's point. Many years on the line yes, great food writer yes, successful media personality no doubt. Great chef? No. Nor has he ever claimed to be.

I suppose one's opinion as to Bourdain's credentials for being a head judge on this show depends on how seriously one takes it. If you think it's just another foodertainment show, no problem. But if you think it's somehow serious about food, that it's more than Food Network Challenge or something, then you need someone of higher qualifications as a judge. Harold obviously takes the show pretty seriously so to him it's a problem.

Harold's Blog

Amen to THAT. Bourdain may not be Mich 3, but he knows his stuff. And he certainly could spot weasels, poseurs, tools and scammers. I like Harold, but he needs to put in as many years on the line as Bourdain, who was in chef's whites before Harold was born, before he snarks. Harold ain't exactly Bocuse, either, BTW.

PDC,

If Harold had the backup for his criticism I might be more inclined. Considering the people Tony knows and has cooked with, I dismiss the charges.

Not maligning you, I know what you mean. But I mean....Harold who?

edit to add: link to Harold's menu of unquestioned food credibility. Note hanger steak and cheek du jour. Hey, that sounds like bistro food. Several other items do too (poisson) and 20 years ago his menu would been WTF? IMHO

http://www.perillanyc.com/index.php?page=menus&sec_id=265

Edited by Doodad (log)

PDC,

If Harold had the backup for his criticism I might be more inclined.  Considering the people Tony knows and has cooked with, I dismiss the charges. 

Not maligning you, I know what you mean.  But I mean....Harold who?

edit to add: link to Harold's menu of unquestioned food credibility.  Note hanger steak and cheek du jour.  Hey, that sounds like bistro food.  Several other items do too (poisson) and 20 years ago his menu would been WTF? IMHO

http://www.perillanyc.com/index.php?page=menus&sec_id=265

My point was not to suggest Harold Dieterle be head judge instead of Bourdain so your argument is irrelevant. The measuring stick here is Collichio. The criticism of Harold's opinion based on his experience vs. Bourdain's is ludicrous; it's like saying that, oh, David Wright can't say Willie Mays was better than Duke Snider because Wright hasn't played baseball for as long at a high level as either of the people he's comparing.

I, on the other hand, don't take the show that seriously. It's just another food competition show so I'm fine with Bourdain as a judge. People who think Top Chef is somehow "better" than any other cook-off might disagree. That's all I'm saying.

Oh, and I've eaten at both Perilla and Les Halles. Have to give the nod to Perilla (knowing full well that will get me crucified here in egulletland). :laugh:

I

Great episode.  Thanks to the person who added the Bourdain link.

Hey, Conspiracy Theory #29 - maybe the frozen scallops were PLANTED in Tramonto's freezer, just to see if any chef had the bad judgment to use them? Nifty theory, eh? Eh?! :cool:

according to this chicago tribune posting, that's exactly what happened.

"The frozen scallops in the walk-in freezer at Tramonto’s Steak & Seafood were part of the challenge on “Top Chef,” said Rick Tramonto, executive chef and co-owner, and not part of the restaurant's inventory.

“Their team purchased all the food and put it in the coolers,” he explained, saying he felt that most people realized it was part of the challenge. He just wants to set the record straight. “They put those in the mix to see ... who would use them or not.” And certainly Spike went for them. “It’s interesting that he had first choice and he obviously didn’t have to use them” but he did anyway.""

hmm, that's not exactly what Colicchio said in his blog."Along with the high-end steaks they had provided for the show, Allen Bros. had included a variety of other products to round out the restaurant’s existing stock, including frozen scallops, which is how they came to be in Tramonto’s walk-in. I learned later that Rick knew this when we taped the show, but chose not to make a federal case out of it. But as a colleague and fan of Rick’s, I feel it’s important to set the record straight."

I smell.........spin! :cool: