• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef Season 4

KristiB50

ok, what is it? 4 episodes remaining? I'm making predictions.

Next 2 weeks spike or lisa goes home (yay! who cares what order they fall!)

3rd week, Antonia bites it.

Richard wins the final.

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

I just dont get a lot of things about the episode.. Firstly, no one forced them to make these dishes so, if you are going to make anything you want, how could you possibly serve something that sucks..

I thought chick (Lisa) should have gone home because she volunteered to make this dish and she obviously had no idea what she was doing.. She also made the stick rice that sucked too..

Dale blew it but, putting blame on him because Lisa f*cked up a soup does not make sense.. Does anyone know how to take smoke out of a dish? Yes he is executive chef, but with short amount of time, he had to trust that she was going to make at least an average dish.. So say he tasted the Laksa, what should he have done if it couldnt be fixed.. This is a competition mind you and not a real restaurant, I would have been more then happy if a fellow competitor screwed up something..

Lisa also has a real shitty attitude, as does Dale.. I just like Lisa less..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Using the logic that because Dale was Exec Chef he had to be the goat is wrong headed. Antonia should have gotten the trip to Spain if you use that parameter. Yes, Dale screwed up big time. His dish was bleh and Tony had to be hard on him. However, do any of you really believe his asking/telling Lisa to re-make the Laksa that would have happened? Yes, they had time. She would have spent it arguing with him about doing it over. Tony said he needed to take her out. He has rules as a contestant and can only "lead" so far.

There is a small disclaimer on the show that says the producers can push the judges to make specific decisions. After Tony's comment about how Lisa was obviously not going to back down or take criticism from anyone, I thought for certain she was going to be gone. Not so. The producers prevail. What a huge disappointment.

Either Spike or Lisa being in the top four is going to inflate their "legend in their own mind" status. I would not want to work with either of them. Ever. Never!

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

There is a small disclaimer on the show that says the producers can push the judges to make specific decisions. After Tony's comment about how Lisa was obviously not going to back down or take criticism from anyone, I thought for certain she was going to be gone. Not so. The producers prevail. What a huge disappointment.

For the record, there is no evidence that the producers have ever actually stepped into the judging decisions, with the possible exception of the "clipper-gate" incident. Chef Colicchio has said on numerous occasions that it has never happened, and I tend to believe him. And at least in this case, after all, what real gain is there in sending Dale home over Lisa? It's not like Lisa is the last woman, or that Dale has such a sweet, boring disposition that they wanted the excitement of keeping Lisa... it doesn't add up. I wish they had gotten rid of Lisa instead, but I didn't taste the scallops. Maybe they were just awful, and the Laksa was merely "bad."

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Is that Rick Tramonto as guest judge next week? Nice. For the most part, I've really enjoyed the guest judges this season. Do they seem to be a step up (across the board) since past seasons?

The promo for next week is edited to make Richard look like he's on the chopping block :shock: The thing is, given the risks that Richard takes with flavors and textures, you can totally see the ax happening at some point.

It's clear how everyone/most people on this thread feel about Spike and Lisa. However, don't you fear one of the other 4 having a bad night next week (a la last season's Tre or even Casey at the Finale) and Spike and Lisa keeping on?

I know that Tom has said that he doesn't let producers impact the final three (or something to that effect) but I just believe that the producers would love to have either Spike or Lisa in the final 3. [Where is that throw up smilie?]

Edited by dscott (log)

It's clear how everyone/most people on this thread feel about Spike and Lisa.  However, don't you fear one of the other 4 having a bad night next week (a la last season's Tre or even Casey at the Finale) and Spike and Lisa keeping on?

It can always happen: that's what makes for interesting television. If past performance were allowed to influence the judgements the show would get boring because the final two or three would be pre-ordained by halfway through the season. Adding some element of randomness keeps us watching every week, holding our breath whenever Richard does anything that sounds crazy :smile:. And when something crazy happens, like Dale going home before Spike and Lisa, the internet lights up, giving the show free advertising. Bravo wins again!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Using the logic that because Dale was Exec Chef he had to be the goat is wrong headed. Antonia should have gotten the trip to Spain if you use that parameter.  Yes, Dale screwed up big time. His dish was bleh and Tony had to be hard on him. However, do any of you really believe his asking/telling Lisa to re-make the Laksa that would have happened? Yes, they had time. She would have spent it arguing with him about doing it over. Tony said he needed to take her out. He has rules as a contestant and can only "lead" so far.

Oh, I totally agree.  While I understand the judges' logic with Dale, I definitely feel Lisa should have been booted.  I don't think the judges even faintly grasp how antagonistic the relationship is between Dale and Lisa, that he could not have exercised the power an exec chef NORMALLY would have, in the real world, to straighten out one of his cooks.

Besides, I think Dale got robbed a few episodes back - Lisa won a trip to Italy for her miso-glazed bacon (which is yummy, BTW), and he got a bottle of wine and a soopah doopah grill.  He definitely got robbed this episode - should've shoehorned Lisa into the exec chef spot.

BTW, Antonia's crack about the "Chinese restaurant" grated on me, too, but I really couldn't tell if she was being 100% snarky, or just ignorant.  (Or both!)

It makes me sick that, at best, either Spike OR Lisa will make it into the final four.  I can only hope that Richard, perrenial good guy and class act, wins. 

I thought Tre got the axe for "oversmoked" potatoes.

Has anyone had Laksa that was "smokey"? I have had lots of different versions here and abroad, some screaming hot, others not real hot but big in flavor. Not a bad bowl in the bunch, but I have never had one that was "smokey."

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I love, love, love Stephanie.  She is killer cute and very professional at the same time. :wub:

Yeah, I am deeply in love with Stephanie. Almost more so than Padma. Maybe because I might actually have a shot with Stephanie...that is, if my wife permitted!

It's really starting to show who has the goods. Call me crazy, but maturity seems to play a factor in the food. The whiniest people seem to make the grossest food, while the adults kick ass time and time again.

The thing that scares me now is that one of the best chefs might have a bad week, while Lisa has a good one, and the wrong person will go home. That's why this competition is so brutal. It's not a cumulative thing, you have to kick ass week after week.

I love, love, love Stephanie.  She is killer cute and very professional at the same time. :wub:

That's why this competition is so brutal. It's not a cumulative thing, you have to kick ass week after week.

Yeah, kind of like the restaurant business!! :laugh:

It funny Bourdain was commenting on a segment on 60 minutes which featured Thomas Keller that the next plate of Risotto out the door could be his last that when cooking at his level one bad plate could bring down his empire. It would start people talking, he is so last week, etc, etc. Taken in this context is makes sense and it is understandable that you should not get a pass simply because you did a good job last week.

--------------------

FYI, there's an interview with Dale up over at Grub Street. A few good nuggets in there. I'm sorry he's gone. Been watching replays this evening and I must say that Spike has been playing the "game" end of this like a pro. He'll have less room to hide now on this show, but he should really try his hand at "Survivor"!

Taken in this context is makes sense and it is understandable that you should not get a pass simply because you did a good job last week.

I completely agree. We all have bad days, no matter what our gig is. But chefs have to stay on top of the game. The fall seems inevitable, though. There was a time when Tavern on the Green was like the French Laundry in terms of stature. Or at least I assume that was the case. I could be wrong...

Obviosly Tom Colicchio is a great chef but in the context of judging "Top Chef", I think it would be great if Tony Bourdain were the chief judge. Don't you think it would make great television? Especially if Tony were to exhibit the side of his personality that we saw on this show. Tom would be a great addition to the guest chef roster.

Obviosly Tom Colicchio is a great chef but in the context of judging "Top Chef", I think it would be great if Tony Bourdain were the chief judge.  Don't you think it would make great television?  Especially if Tony were to exhibit the side of his personality that we saw on this show.  Tom would be a great addition to the guest chef roster.

I agree I thing Tony fit the role like a glove. His snarkiness would be fun too.

--------------------

If Dale had not taken point, he would not have gone home. That is was make Richard vulnerable, as good as he is, he takes responsibility for everything associated with him. It is a great quality I admire but it is a very pointy thing.

Steph and Richard are the best by far, Antonia does not have the flexability or vision to compete with either of them, unless she has been holding back or has a Casey like strong finish. Lisa has a great future as a pro wrestler and Spike as a used car salesman. I think next week we should toss in Lisa and Spike into a dark, fully equiped kitchen (two chef enter, one chef leave). I am no great Antonia fan, but if they don't go down quickly, I may not be able to keep watching, at least Antonia has some class.

Edited by billyhill (log)

To quote a former contestant, Dale is a "douchebag and a tool" and totally deserved to go home. It's been clear for weeks that he does not work well and play with others and the fact that no one wants to work with him/for him does not make for top chef material. Leadership counts and he fails miserably on that score, regardless of how antagonistic his charges might be. If he inspired any loyalty or respect, no one would be that antagonistic toward him.

Scallops and butterscotch?? :unsure: Really dude??? Blech!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Obviosly Tom Colicchio is a great chef but in the context of judging "Top Chef", I think it would be great if Tony Bourdain were the chief judge.  Don't you think it would make great television?  Especially if Tony were to exhibit the side of his personality that we saw on this show.  Tom would be a great addition to the guest chef roster.

I agree I thing Tony fit the role like a glove. His snarkiness would be fun too.

I'd not be surprised if Tony were the head judge next season.

Colicchio has been stepping back a bit this season after all.

YMMV.

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

also, i'm no fan of spike but, i gotta believe he played dale and lisa big time. that smirk on his face when  they were melting down in front of the judges led me to believe he knew that would happen and figured he'd just get out of the way and let it happen.

AB-SO-DAMN-LUTELY !!!! Played 'em like the proverbial tin pipe.

I'm no huge Spike fan either, but that was particularly humerous to watch during Judge's Table. Especially AB's reaction to it. As other posters have said, he was so totally on to what Spike was doing. And yet, Spike pulled it off. Gotta give him a few points for that.

Not enough points to keep him around too much longer, but a few.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

It's true. Spike just pulled up a lawn chair, popped open a beer and watched the fireworks, complete with the "Oooooohhhs" and "Aaaahhhhs". Played them like a Stradivarius. It was pretty clever of him. :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

To quote a former contestant, Dale is a "douchebag and a tool" and totally deserved to go home.  It's been clear for weeks that he does not work well and play with others and the fact that no one wants to work with him/for him does not make for top chef material.  Leadership counts and he fails miserably on that score, regardless of how antagonistic his charges might be.  If he inspired any loyalty or respect, no one would be that antagonistic toward him.

Scallops and butterscotch?? :unsure:  Really dude??? Blech!

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your observations. However, it's not a personality contest, or judgment of "chefly attributes," otherwise Lisa would've been gone long ago. The winner and loser is based almost exclusively on the food presented in that particular episode. Actually, I think the concept of leadership may have come from the first season finale, when they were stuck in a decision between Harold and Tiffani. The latter of this pair was notorious for being abrasive and hard to work with. I'm assuming you saw this episode. The precedent set by that show has led some viewers to believe that leadership is a heavy consideration in the top chef decision. If it were, how would Ilan Hall win the title? Marcel reach the finals? Hung? Hung was an outstanding cook, but I hesitate to call him a leader. As Colicchio maintains, "It's about the food."

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali