• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef Season 4

KristiB50

I watched the show again this morning. Did anyone else noticed Stephanie's mentioning that maybe they should split the gift. I wonder if it will be split among the whole team or just her and Richard? :cool:

I remember that too...I think she meant Richard but I would have with the team, since everyone did pretty good.

As far as the $10 competition, they had to prepare food for more than 4 people. At least 4 kids ate the meal plus the judges. A portion or more may have been required for filming purposes. I'm sure more than $10 was spent.

Ahh, you know I hear people about Dale's behavior but frankly I'm inclined to give pretty much everyone a pass on their behavior in the last episode. Until you've worked a 36 hour shift I don't think you can understand what it does to you and your thinking.

I like Dale's food and I think that he and Stephanie are the only folks who can give Richard a run for his money in the final. Andrew is the dark horse, but I think he needs a couple more years of experience.

Puerto Rico yummmmmmmmm the land of roast porky goodness! Another pretty backdrop should be cool.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Someone on another board pointed out that the last person interviewed in the opening monologue goes home. I've been paying attention and it's true!!!

But oh man I so wanted it to be Lisa who complained the other chefs had bad attititudes :hmmm:

When Lisa picked the shrimp I thought about cholesterol. I don't think she was sabotaged. All the other chefs were too busy with their own stuff. And who the heck undercooks shrimp? Most people overcook.

Dale won a big ass bottle of mediocre wine

Spike-olive and grapes? EWWWW!!! And he totally shopped to screw the others over.

How nice to see Sam! I think he's the one that got me watching this show. I recall flipping channels, seeing him, and thinking I'd stick around a bit.

The loser was, to my viewing, better in group challenges than solo. Would have been nice to see that cheftestant make it to Restaurant Wars...can't wait for that episode.

The last two judges' tables have been like tribal council in Survivor...good TV.

Someone on another board pointed out that the last person interviewed in the opening monologue goes home. I've been paying attention and it's true!!!

But oh man I so wanted it to be Lisa who complained the other chefs had bad attititudes  :hmmm:

When Lisa picked the shrimp I thought about cholesterol. I don't think she was sabotaged. All the other chefs were too busy with their own stuff. And who the heck undercooks shrimp? Most people overcook.

Spike-olive and grapes? EWWWW!!! And he totally shopped to screw the others over.

I laughed out loud at Lisa's comment on the other's poor attitudes. Look in a mirror woman... :wacko:

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

GREAT episode, and yeah, it was totally fab to see Sam :wub::wub: again !

Although Lisa's grating on my last nerve.......the right person went home. I think Andrew's been cruising in the middle and now that the numbers are dwindling, well, HIS number was up. He was out of his league and it finally caught up with him.

But I was a little annoyed that the judges decided to nail him for not following the rules, yet Antonia & Lisa skated on the Polish sausage improv challenge. Yeah, I know someone said they actually used it.........not buyin' it.

Chef Tom had the best lines of the night: To Andrew "how about starting with something that tastes good?". To Spike "unfortunately for you, it's *MY* opinion that matters". Or it could've been vice-versa. Andrew & Spike have always been interchangeable to me, unless Spike was wearing one of his absurd hats. Guess I won't have THAT problem anymore !!!!

Very much looking forward to next week and the return of the almost-lost Restaurant Wars !!! Yeah baby.

Next one gone? My $$$'s on either Spike or Lisa, its a toss-up between them I think. Spike's skating by sliding in the middle, and Lisa's attitude and inconsistency is going to bite her butt soon.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

For me.... the wrong person went home.

I always felt like Andrew had that culinary passion that a "top chef" needs to have. Maybe because his personality was programmed to display only that, whether or not it held any substance... but whatever. He did make a seemingly stupid dish. However, he believed in it. That's more than can be said for others...

With Spike... he obviously only picked stuff to be able to screw people over, and then made a horrible dish with grapes and olives. Even imagining very good olives, I have trouble thinking up a way to make that work. In chicken salad form anyway.

Despite Lisa's lackluster and horribly tattle-tale performance, I didn't think she was the one who deserved the ride home. Spike, for having the competitive advantage, squandering it in such a way that only made people laugh at him, and then making a laughable dish with amusing flavor combinations deserved the plane ticket. Oh well. I agree that Andrew, whether or not he had the talent, (which he probably did, but not in any reliable form), was going to go down in flames at some point. If I had to pick who I'd get to watch cook next week given any challenge, I'd choose Andrew every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Andrew is all about the food, and Spike gets personal.

It was very much a toss up of who was going home and I really was hoping for Lisa. Spike is a joke. I don't know how he has lasted so long considering he obviously spends more time placing his hat at a jaunty angle than thinking about cooking. Andrew was a good if VERY unstable cook. His departure creates a huge advantage for Stephanie and Richard. Dale should be able to outlast the lesser chefs,but will have to be very careful.

Oh and the judges table showed exactly how petty those lesser chefs are acting.

But oh man I so wanted it to be Lisa who complained the other chefs had bad attititudes  :hmmm:

First let me point out that I am not flaming or singling out KristiB50 here.

I have high cholesterol and have had to manage it since I had a major coronary 12 years ago. I'd like to point out that the assumption that shrimp is bad for you because it has cholesterol is a misnomer and only half of the story. The cholesterol in shrimp is primarily high-density lipoproteins (HDL). This is what is commonly referred to as "Good cholesterol". HDL's reduce low-density lipoproteins (LDL) which is more commonly known as "bad cholesterol. Shrimp are also virtually fat free and loaded with Omega 3 fatty acids. So in reality shrimp when prepared healthily are one of the best proteins you could possibly eat.

I poached this from here http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=107

Shrimp Provide Large Cardiovascular Benefits

Many people are confused about the fat and cholesterol content of shrimp. Shrimp is very low in total fat, yet it has a high cholesterol content (about 200 milligrams in 3.5 ounces, or 12 large boiled shrimp). Some people have avoided eating shrimp precisely because of its high cholesterol content. However, based on research involving shrimp and blood cholesterol levels, avoidance of shrimp for this reason does not seem justified.

In a peer-reviewed scientific study, researchers looked at the effect of two diets, one which contained shrimp and the other eggs, on the cholesterol levels of people with normal lipid levels. In this randomized crossover trial, people ate either 300 grams of shrimp per day or two large eggs. (A randomized crossover trial is one in which groups cross over, trying out both possible protocols.) The shrimp diet did raise LDL levels (bad cholesterol) by 7%, but also raised HDL levels (good cholesterol) by 12%. In contrast, the egg diet raised LDL levels by 10% and HDL by 7%. The results then showed that the shrimp diet produced significantly lower ratios of total to HDL ("good") cholesterol and lower ratios of LDL ("bad" cholesterol) to HDL cholesterol than the egg diet. In addition, in people who ate the shrimp diet, levels of triglycerides (a form in which fat is carried in the blood) decreased 13%.

In just a four-ounce serving of shrimp, you'll receive 28.2% of the daily value for vitamin B12. Vitamin B12 is one of the nutrients needed to keep levels of homocysteine, a molecule that can directly damage blood vessel walls and is considered a significant risk factor for cardiovascular disease, low. In addition, shrimp are also a good source of cardio-protective omega-3 fatty acids, noted for their anti-inflammatory effects and ability to prevent the formation of blood clots. Four ounces of shrimp provide 14.8% of your daily need for these protective fats.

See also http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=515

Choose seafood at least twice a week

Fish can be fatty or lean, but it's still low in saturated fat. Prepare fish baked, broiled, grilled or boiled rather than breaded and fried. Shrimp and crawfish have more cholesterol than most other types of seafood, but they're lower in total fat and saturated fat than most meats and poultry.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

As for this week's episode, I agree is should have been spike but Andrew was way the freak out there in left field. I think Lisa was thinking that the microwave would overcook the shrimp.

There was alot of drama on this episode, enough for me to consider that maybe Hell's Kitchen isn't totally off the mark, they just brand it differently.

I'm tired of the catering themes. After restaurant wars I am hoping they start notching it up subjecting the chefs to Master chefs and having to duplicate dishes made famous etc...

So basically weed out the posers and turn the screws.

I have high cholesterol and have had to manage it since I had a major coronary 12 years ago. I'd like to point out that the assumption that shrimp is bad for you because it has cholesterol is a misnomer and only half of the story. The cholesterol in shrimp is primarily high-density lipoproteins (HDL). This is what is commonly referred to as "Good cholesterol". HDL's reduce low-density lipoproteins (LDL) which is more commonly known as "bad cholesterol. Shrimp are also virtually fat free and loaded with Omega 3 fatty acids. So in reality shrimp when prepared healthily are one of the best proteins you could possibly eat.

I poached this from here http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=107

Shrimp Provide Large Cardiovascular Benefits

Many people are confused about the fat and cholesterol content of shrimp. Shrimp is very low in total fat, yet it has a high cholesterol content (about 200 milligrams in 3.5 ounces, or 12 large boiled shrimp). Some people have avoided eating shrimp precisely because of its high cholesterol content. However, based on research involving shrimp and blood cholesterol levels, avoidance of shrimp for this reason does not seem justified.

In a peer-reviewed scientific study, researchers looked at the effect of two diets, one which contained shrimp and the other eggs, on the cholesterol levels of people with normal lipid levels. In this randomized crossover trial, people ate either 300 grams of shrimp per day or two large eggs. (A randomized crossover trial is one in which groups cross over, trying out both possible protocols.) The shrimp diet did raise LDL levels (bad cholesterol) by 7%, but also raised HDL levels (good cholesterol) by 12%. In contrast, the egg diet raised LDL levels by 10% and HDL by 7%. The results then showed that the shrimp diet produced significantly lower ratios of total to HDL ("good") cholesterol and lower ratios of LDL ("bad" cholesterol) to HDL cholesterol than the egg diet. In addition, in people who ate the shrimp diet, levels of triglycerides (a form in which fat is carried in the blood) decreased 13%.

In just a four-ounce serving of shrimp, you'll receive 28.2% of the daily value for vitamin B12. Vitamin B12 is one of the nutrients needed to keep levels of homocysteine, a molecule that can directly damage blood vessel walls and is considered a significant risk factor for cardiovascular disease, low. In addition, shrimp are also a good source of cardio-protective omega-3 fatty acids, noted for their anti-inflammatory effects and ability to prevent the formation of blood clots. Four ounces of shrimp provide 14.8% of your daily need for these protective fats.

See also http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=515

Choose seafood at least twice a week

Fish can be fatty or lean, but it's still low in saturated fat. Prepare fish baked, broiled, grilled or boiled rather than breaded and fried. Shrimp and crawfish have more cholesterol than most other types of seafood, but they're lower in total fat and saturated fat than most meats and poultry.

WOW you are quite passionate about shrimp!

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

This shrimp-is-too-high-in-cholesterol issue came up in a different season, as well, when they were asked to cook healthy food (perhaps for the kid's camp).

Could they have telegraphed Andrew's exit more? They obviously to get as many Andrew-isms and his salty language into the episode, as he was on his way out.

Great way to start an episode -- watching someone pluck her unibrow. I'm sure she appreciated that.

I wonder how their "performances"/bad attitudes will affect the employability of some of these guys. This might not turn out to be a big break for them.

Would you lend Spike or Andrew money for a restaurant? Or employ Lisa?

Edited by gfweb (log)

Andrew's "success!" was the editors' clue for "adios." Watching those bottom three I couldn't help but wonder if Sam didn't want to lean over and suggest a 3-for-1 and then some excellent competitions between the remaining people.

I agree that Lisa undercooked the shrimp on purpose, thinking they would finish when she added water and hoped that would cook the brown rice. So how undercooked were they when she put them into her packages? A stir steam, not a stir fry, indeed.

If Andrew had used a grain, surely Spike would have packed his knives and gone. He seemed to have forgotten this is Top Chef and not Survivor. The idea is to take your advantage ingredients and make them into something, not form an alliance with them and use for garnish.

It bothered me that the judges didn't bring up Andrew's failure to use a grain when they were all about the rules a couple of weeks ago with the polish sausage. I had no problem with Lisa raising the issue.

I'm happy to see that Richard and Stephanie are doing as well as they are; I personally think they're the real competition here, along with Dale. His tantrum last week (before they hadn't slept, so I don't feel that's an excuse) was ridiculous, and he really does need to cook something non-Asian. Richard and Stephanie both remind me in some ways of Harold from the first season. They are extremely talented. They're also the people you'd want in the kitchen of your restaurant, or to be cooking next to on the line on a sat night when you're getting slammed. They don't talk shit about everyone and need to resort to theatrics like many of the others. Solid.

I have high cholesterol and have had to manage it since I had a major coronary 12 years ago. I'd like to point out that the assumption that shrimp is bad for you because it has cholesterol is a misnomer and only half of the story. The cholesterol in shrimp is primarily high-density lipoproteins (HDL).....

Congrats on your successful long-term management, RAHiggins! As you previously expressed, this is totally meant for the purpose of having accurate information, not to flame or point fingers:

Dietary cholesterol (what you see on nutrition fact labels) is dietary cholesterol. What turns it into HDL, LDL, VLDL, etc. in our bodies is the "package" that the dietary cholesterol comes in- mainly, what else is in that food or what that cholesterol-containing food is eaten with. If that package includes unhealthy saturated fats or trans fats, your body is more likely to turn that dietary cholesterol into artery-clogging LDL. As far as I know, this is why there's been so much back and forth about shrimp and eggs- they are high-cholesterol foods, yes, but in and of themselves, they are still fairly (to very) low in the "packaging" that makes cholesterol especially undesirable to us. Lisa's dietary "packaging" of the shrimp appeared to be fairly benign.

More research is being done to tease apart how certain trans fats (e.g. those naturally occuring in animal products, like dairy) or certain saturated fats (e.g. those from plant sources, like coconut oil) are less likely to convert dietary cholesterol into the kind that clogs arteries. For this fine tuning, there is nothing definitive that has come out of research. You see broad US recommendations for people to avoid trans fat and saturated fat because, quite often, the bulk of these nutrients are coming from sources that have known, definitive negative health impacts (e.g. Most trans fat in the American diet comes from artificially produced partially hydrogenated oils, not naturally occuring dairy trans fat. Most saturated fat in American diets is from animal sources, not plant sources).

But back to the topic on hand :smile: ....I was surprisingly sad to see Andrew leave! At least what I saw from him was exciting, even if his personality was a little tweaky. You could tell how passionate he is about food. I did wonder why the issue of sliding past the rules wasn't more prominent, but I think it's because the primary issue- taste- was already a problem. It seemed to me that during the improv challenge, Lisa and Antonia at least had a dish that tasted good. As a dietetics professional, I was curious where Andrew had studied nutrition......seems like he had some fairly extreme opinions about healthy food (at least in my opinion :wink: ).

Lisa can get under my skin, but again, she's shown some exciting work (e.g. the pressed, glazed bacon). And sometimes, you just want to see that expression and think to yourself what great wallpaper/screensaver it would make for a workplace computer. :laugh:

Spike.....his slimy ways and uninspired food through the entire competition had me wishing that he got the boot last night. I can't stand when people rely on pushing people down in order to succeed instead of trying to stand on their own good merit.

I have high cholesterol and have had to manage it since I had a major coronary 12 years ago. I'd like to point out that the assumption that shrimp is bad for you because it has cholesterol is a misnomer and only half of the story. The cholesterol in shrimp is primarily high-density lipoproteins (HDL).....

Congrats on your successful long-term management, RAHiggins! As you previously expressed, this is totally meant for the purpose of having accurate information, not to flame or point fingers:

Dietary cholesterol (what you see on nutrition fact labels) is dietary cholesterol. What turns it into HDL, LDL, VLDL, etc. in our bodies is the "package" that the dietary cholesterol comes in- mainly, what else is in that food or what that cholesterol-containing food is eaten with. If that package includes unhealthy saturated fats or trans fats, your body is more likely to turn that dietary cholesterol into artery-clogging LDL. As far as I know, this is why there's been so much back and forth about shrimp and eggs- they are high-cholesterol foods, yes, but in and of themselves, they are still fairly (to very) low in the "packaging" that makes cholesterol especially undesirable to us. Lisa's dietary "packaging" of the shrimp appeared to be fairly benign.

As a side not my last results were

CHOLESTEROL 127 Low to high is 140-200 mg/dL

HDL 39 Low to high is 27-67 mg/dL

LDL CALCULATED 68 Low to high is 0-130 mg/dL

TRIGLYCERIDE 102.0 Low to high is 35.0-160.0 mg/dL

Do you know yours?

I guess I am passionate about shrimp, it may have been me who took issue on last season's health food episode.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)

I wonder how their "performances"/bad attitudes will affect the employability of some of these guys. This might not turn out to be a big break for them. 

Would you lend Spike or Andrew money for a restaurant?  Or employ Lisa?

I totally agree with you! I wouldn't wash dishes in the same room with Andrew. Anyone who has to start off a challenge with "I'm going to either stab someone or make great F'n food" while looking every bit like he means it, is not someone I want around knives. His constant "This is MY house!" remarks coupled with waving food in the other contestants faces in the store while screaming "What does this smell like? Sucess!" painted a picture of someone who has to bully his way to sucess, not cook his way there. He was downright scary no matter how good some of his dishes were.

Would you lend Spike or Andrew money for a restaurant?  Or employ Lisa?

I totally agree with you! I wouldn't wash dishes in the same room with Andrew. Anyone who has to start off a challenge with "I'm going to either stab someone or make great F'n food" while looking every bit like he means it, is not someone I want around knives. His constant "This is MY house!" remarks coupled with waving food in the other contestants faces in the store while screaming "What does this smell like? Sucess!" painted a picture of someone who has to bully his way to sucess, not cook his way there. He was downright scary no matter how good some of his dishes were.

I don't think he was as imposing or hostile as you're perceiving him. I think he's just really weird.