• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef Season 4

KristiB50

did anyone choose to cook kwith Michelob? I noticed it got it's own screenshot  :raz:

Several had Michelob, including Richard and Ryan as I recall (who each had a different fruit flavored Michelob Ultra Fruit -- gah! I think Richard's was "Lime Cactus" and Ryan's was "Pomegranate Raspberry"), and I recall seeing someone chose Michelob Amber Bock. Maybe the details will wind up in one of the blogs.

All the major brews available were either Anheuser-Busch brands (Michelob's corporate parent) or imported by A-B -- various Michelob styles, obviously, plus Bass, Stella Artois, Hoegaarden, Tiger, Red Hook. I imagine everything offered was *somehow* related to the brand.

Christopher

I have to strongly disagree with this off-ing. And as much as I love Ted Allen, I have to disagree that not playing to the audience was enough to oust Ryan over Nikki. That was an awful effort, I can't believe she is still there. At least Ryan stood by his dish.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

I have to strongly disagree with this off-ing.  And as much as I love Ted Allen, I have to disagree that not playing to the audience was enough to oust Ryan over Nikki.  That was an awful effort, I can't believe she is still there.  At least Ryan stood by his dish.

I KNOW! She's in the bottom almost every week, she loses almost every quick fire, and yet she's somehow still here!!!! I think this is a major failing in the show, the fact that someone can consistently cook crap and still remain week after week. I predict she'll be gone within the next two episodes.

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

I have to strongly disagree with this off-ing.  And as much as I love Ted Allen, I have to disagree that not playing to the audience was enough to oust Ryan over Nikki.  That was an awful effort, I can't believe she is still there.  At least Ryan stood by his dish.

I KNOW! She's in the bottom almost every week, she loses almost every quick fire, and yet she's somehow still here!!!! I think this is a major failing in the show, the fact that someone can consistently cook crap and still remain week after week. I predict she'll be gone within the next two episodes.

I'm sure she'll be gone by next week.

Then Mark

Then the one with all the pierced eyes, nose and ears

Then Andrew.

Then spike.

That's as far as my crystal ball can see.....

Edited by rconnelly (log)

Nikki? Is she the tiny woman with the giant sunglasses? She's way out of her league. But she should not have been the one to go. Aussie dude should have went for sucking the tasting spoon and then using it to stir and serve. Didn't someone get booted for doing that exact same thing a couple seasons ago? Should be an automatic disqualifier.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Nikki? Is she the tiny woman with the giant sunglasses? She's way out of her league. But she should not have been the one to go. Aussie dude should have went for sucking the tasting spoon and then using it to stir and serve. Didn't someone get booted for doing that exact same thing a couple seasons ago? Should be an automatic disqualifier.

THe guy got kicked off for disobeying one of the chef's rules about not tasting stirring spoons in something they served.. And then the top chef contestant got all loud and disrespectful..

Edited by Daniel (log)

I had the same rule in my kitchen

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Agreed. I was shocked they kicked Ryan off! Sure his concept was idiotic, but still she was downright bad. She grilled some store-bought sausages fro heaven's sake! Oh yeah and added some grilled onions and peppers for good measure. Any semi-good cook would've at least made an effort to make their own sausages, let alone a Top CHEF contestant. She. Cannot. Cook.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I am just curious what chick did for 2 hours of prep when all she did was chop up onions and peppers.. Oh and marinate shrimp..

yeah... that's right. Obviously not much. Did she have a tomato sauce to go with the sausages? She made some sort of cocktail sauce to go with the shrimp, too.

Surely she knows she's next in line. Surely she knows she's lucky to still be there.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Agreed. I was shocked they kicked Ryan off! Sure his concept was idiotic, but still she was downright bad. She grilled some store-bought sausages fro heaven's sake! Oh yeah and added some grilled onions and peppers for good measure. Any semi-good cook would've at least made an effort to make their own sausages, let alone a Top CHEF contestant. She. Cannot. Cook.

True. my teenage daughter can cook better.

Top Chef has finally, quietly lost my interest and I didn't even realize it. Until just now, 2:23 a.m. Friday morn, I had completely forgotten there was an episode Wednesday.

I'll catch it on a rerun, and perhaps the show will pull me in again, but my hunches on this season have thus far been correct. I think the novelty has worn off.

I don't think that store-bought sausage is a bad thing, last year one of the contestants won with using pre-cooked chicken. At the very least she should have bought a more interesting sausage and top it with something different.

She failed at sausage & peppers and mac & cheese. Come on.

The only way she'll make it through the next round is if they have a team challenge and she happens to be part of the winning team.

Top Chef has finally, quietly lost my interest and I didn't even realize it. Until just now, 2:23 a.m. Friday morn, I had completely forgotten there was an episode Wednesday.

I'll catch it on a rerun, and perhaps the show will pull me in again, but my hunches on this season have thus far been correct. I think the novelty has worn off.

Funny enough, that was my first or second episode of this season.

Edited by Daniel (log)

I don't think that store-bought sausage is a bad thing, last year one of the contestants won with using pre-cooked chicken. At the very least she should have bought a more interesting sausage and top it with something different.

Store-bought sausage (or pre cooked chicken) in of itself is not bad. For example, If she removed it from the casing and used it to stuff a butterflied pork loin. That can then be rolled and tied and grilled and made into porchetta sandwiches. That would've been great and no one would be complaining about her laziness and uncreativity. However, she chose to use the sausage as her main dish! In that case she most certainly was just a bad lazy cook by choosing to not make her own sausage.

I cannot remember what the other contestant used the chicken for in previous seasons, but I'm willing to bet it was not a stand in for roast chicken. Was it?

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Store-bought sausage (or pre cooked chicken) in of itself is not bad. For example, If she removed it from the casing and used it to stuff a butterflied pork loin. That can then be rolled and tied and grilled and made into porchetta sandwiches. That would've been great and no one would be complaining about her laziness and uncreativity. However, she chose to use the sausage as her main dish! In that case she most certainly was just a bad lazy cook by choosing to not make her own sausage.

I cannot remember what the other contestant used the chicken for in previous seasons, but I'm willing to bet it was not a stand in for roast chicken. Was it?

I agree with you, I think she lacked creativity in her choice, and to top it off it was not very good.

I can't remember what the pre-made chicken was for, maybe a taco or quesadilla.

I think Dale used the pre-made roasted chicken last year.  I believe it was for some sort of pasta filling.

Yes, if I remember correctly he made pierogi's and used pre-roasted chicken and instant potatoes. It was the episode when everyone had to remake classic, but healthier, American dishes.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I don't know if this is funny or sad...

24 Prince

Also, if this has ever been discussed, I apologize, but if you already own your own restaurant, why go on Top Chef. Does anyone else think that the negative attention Nikki is getting going to hurt her in the end?

Like I said before, the issue is not that she USED a premade sausage. It's HOW she used it. Using it for filling a ravioli is great (a la pre-roasted chicken in pierogi)...but maybe not for a tailgate.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog