• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef Season 4

KristiB50

After watching this episode again, I wonder if the death of the handheld smoker for Richard/Dale/Andrew didn't work to their advantage. I keep thinking to myself 'plastic wrap on a plate does not look like fine dining.' If I paid a lot for a meal and someone served me something with wrap on the plate, I would not be impressed.

A clear glass dome over the food would be a different story. But plastic wrap? I wonder what Daniel Boulud would have to say about that. Or am I totally off base?

I think, more importantly, there's only so many times Richard can smoke and wrap a dish before it gets tired. One more time, and I think tast dog won't hunt anymore.

Blog.liedel.org

After watching this episode again, I wonder if the death of the handheld smoker for Richard/Dale/Andrew didn't work to their advantage. I keep thinking to myself 'plastic wrap on a plate does not look like fine dining.' If I paid a lot for a meal and someone served me something with wrap on the plate, I would not be impressed.

A clear glass dome over the food would be a different story. But plastic wrap? I wonder what Daniel Boulud would have to say about that. Or am I totally off base?

Sorry, the computer clicked faster than I could on that last post. The dreaded plastic wrap once again raises its ugly head!

Darcie I totally agree with you about that darn plastic wrap. I ranted about it when Richard used it on his first dish on episode #1. Tacky, tacky, tacky.

Certainly Glad Wrap is one of the many sponsors of Top Chef that is trying to get their products noticed-I seem to remember having seen some plastic containers sitting next to a roll of Glad Wrap in the pantry. I'm not all that bothered by the commerical aspects of Top Chef. Without sponsors of course there wouldn't be a Top Chef.

But when the urge to hawk a product becomes so blatant that it interferes with the theme of the show, then that really, really, bugs me. It just seems odd to me when I see a product like Glad Wrap used by a Top Chef to showcase an upscale dish that would be served in a nice dining room. Very unprofessional looking. I just have to believe that there are very nice china serving dishes in the pantry that are fitted with lids or domes that could be used instead of that flimsy, silly plastic wrap. I think that would be a more classy way for Richard to transmit his smoke signals.

Richard's been doing variations on the smoke theme for a little while now, and I had the pleasure of experiencing it in Atlanta twice with a mussels dish. It works. I can see how some might be turned off, but when you have the dish in front of you, with the chef bringing it out and explaining the smoke, you get it. And the aroma is, like he said, the proverbial cherry on top of the sundae. The dish would be great without it, but it adds that extra touch.

I've also experienced Alinea's "pillow" and "burning leaves" - those are certainly more "elegant" ways of doing something similar - but the restaurant Richard was at (Element) was decidedly more casual and inexpensive.

Edited by biskuit (log)

I'm pretty sure Tom does the booty shake every time someone showcases a product.

Tom doing the booty shake...now that's a frightening visual.

One of the funniest lines of this series....

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Richard's been doing variations on the smoke theme for a little while now, and I had the pleasure of experiencing it in Atlanta twice with a mussels dish. It works. I can see how some might be turned off, but when you have the dish in front of you, with the chef bringing it out and explaining the smoke, you get it. And the aroma is, like he said, the proverbial cherry on top of the sundae. The dish would be great without it, but it adds that extra touch.

I've also experienced Alinea's "pillow" and "burning leaves" - those are certainly more "elegant" ways of doing something similar - but the restaurant Richard was at (Element) was decidedly more casual and inexpensive.

I'm not discounting the use of smoke and Richard has been and continues to be my favorite for being named the Top Chef. Go Richard. I think leading his team in presenting that wonderful salmon dish using a hint of smoke was extemely creative. I just can't buy into using plastic wrap to uncover the dish.

Glenn Close boiling rabbit. And who wouldn't fry a chicken, and serve it with toast? I mean, c'MON. The possibilities there were endless. The steak/baking scenes in Moonstruck. Anything Mexican with a romantic floral note from Like Water for Chocolate. Fried Green Tomatos, anyone? You could have worked anything southern in there. Maybe chefs just don't get out to the cinema very much.

Willie Wonka was inspired. They deserved to win just for getting into the spirit of the thing.

Edited by pax (log)
“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

I just can't buy into using plastic wrap to uncover the dish.

I guess I failed to mention that - I meant to say that the plastic wrap approach itself worked in person. I do agree it might not work for Collichio though!

I just can't buy into using plastic wrap to uncover the dish.

I guess I failed to mention that - I meant to say that the plastic wrap approach itself worked in person. I do agree it might not work for Collichio though!

I know it worked for you, but I would be dismayed to get Glad-wrapped dishes, no matter the explanation. To me plastic wrap is cheap, tacky, and says "leftovers."

As I said before, a glass cover or dome would be different. I think that would be kinda cool.

They could've used Moonstruck, too, as inspiration.  I'm still trying to work out the food inspiration in Dumb and Dumberer, but I have to admit, I unfortunately missed that stellar bit of film history.

I've been ruminating on that movie as well. All the ideas I have are good, but not nec. fine dining (much like the movie, actually). I haven't seen the movie in a while, either, so my memory might be foggy:

1. Something involving chile peppers, evoking the scene where they accidentally kill the hitman sent to take care of them.

2. Lloyd is a pet groomer -- something with hot dogs/sausages?

3. The whole end of the movie takes place in aspen, and involves the untimely demise of a snow owl (or was it a whooping crane...I might be confusing it "PCU"). There you can go in the small cooked bird direction.

Okay, enough of this....

A braised rabbit evoking Fatal Attraction would have been just beautiful dark genius.

No Chicago movies, either. Risky Business Puttanesca anyone?

s

[

A braised rabbit evoking Fatal Attraction would have been just beautiful dark genius.

OH MY GOSH! That would have been beautiful in the most sick way possible.

My mind is now heading down a devious path involving pot pie and Sweeney Todd. You'd have thunk Spike would have figured this out, but hind sight is twenty twenty.

Blog.liedel.org

[

OH MY GOSH! That would have been beautiful in the most sick way possible.

My mind is now heading down a devious path involving pot pie and Sweeney Todd. You'd have thunk Spike would have figured this out, but hind sight is twenty twenty.

Both brilliant! Meat pies? Bunnies? A little offal, maybe? Bourdain would been yowling in delight had someone gone that route and had he been judging that ep! Edited by Claudia Greco (log)

I liked this episode in general. I wish we could have seen all of the Quickfire dishes and techniques used.

I didn't think the product placements were nearly as obnoxious this time -- or am I just getting used to them? And I join those who can't quite figure out plastic wrap as being appropriate for a fine dining experience, though.

I had the same reaction do Ryan's comment about working for Boulud ... woah, wasn't he the guy that Bayless didn't like? I hated his comments about Mark ... plus he likes "Dumb & Dumber" ... he has now overtaken Andrew as the guy I'd like to see gone.

Speaking of that pair ... I have a cooking question about Mark & Ryans' carrot puree, which everyone seemed to rave about. I'd love to try it at home but I'm puzzled by the directions. The full recipe is on the Top Chef site.

It says:

"Roast carrots in saute pan with ginger, onion and corn oil. In stages, add carrot juice, cook all the way down and add twice more until soft."

I don't understand this. Forgive me if this sounds stupid ... but to me, you roast in a roasting pan in the oven, or you saute in a saute pan on a stove. It sounds like he's calling for you to roast in a saute pan on a stove -- right? I don't now how else you'd keep adding carrot juice and cooking it down. Any tips for roasting in a saute pan on the stove? And what's the difference between roasting and sauteeing when it's done on a stove? Thanks for any insight you could provide.

My blog: Rah Cha Chow

No Chicago movies, either.  Risky Business Puttanesca anyone? 

s

Brilliant. :laugh:

Oh, this is just getting better and better. A few of you guys should have been the "creative consultants" to the competing chefs!

I would, and this is a bad guess, start them in an oven to get the slow roasted flavor in and finish in a saute pan on top of the stove for the reduction. I'd use the same saute pan for both, using the carrot juice to deglaze the pan.

I'd also use peanut oil, but I'm not a big fan of corn oil, so ignore me on that one.

I agree that the recip was poorly written.

Speaking of that pair ... I have a cooking question about Mark & Ryans' carrot puree, which everyone seemed to rave about. I'd love to try it at home but I'm puzzled by the directions. The full recipe is on the Top Chef site.

It says:

"Roast carrots in saute pan with ginger, onion and corn oil. In stages, add carrot juice, cook all the way down and add twice more until soft."

I don't understand this. Forgive me if this sounds stupid ... but to me, you roast in a roasting pan in the oven, or you saute in a saute pan on a stove. It sounds like he's  calling for you to roast in a saute pan on a stove -- right? I don't now how else you'd keep adding carrot juice and cooking it down. Any tips for roasting in a saute pan on the stove? And what's the difference between roasting and sauteeing when it's done on a stove? Thanks for any insight you could provide.

Blog.liedel.org

They could've used Moonstruck, too, as inspiration.  I'm still trying to work out the food inspiration in Dumb and Dumberer, but I have to admit, I unfortunately missed that stellar bit of film history.

I've been ruminating on that movie as well. All the ideas I have are good, but not nec. fine dining (much like the movie, actually). I haven't seen the movie in a while, either, so my memory might be foggy:

1. Something involving chile peppers, evoking the scene where they accidentally kill the hitman sent to take care of them.

2. Lloyd is a pet groomer -- something with hot dogs/sausages?

3. The whole end of the movie takes place in aspen, and involves the untimely demise of a snow owl (or was it a whooping crane...I might be confusing it "PCU"). There you can go in the small cooked bird direction.

Okay, enough of this....

for dumb and dumber. . .sea bass!! the best line of the whole movie, "kick his ass, sea bass" (sea bass was played by hockey great cam neely). the scene takes place in a diner, although i think they're eating breakfast (i can't remember).

They could have made Pea Soup ala the exorcist!

--------------------

The obvious one I guess would be liver, fava beans and a nice Chianti, (que disgusting toungue sucking sound) for Silence of the Lambs.

--------------------

I don't think the budget for the Elimination Challenge, ($150 for 8 diners), probably would have been enough to create a dish from my favorite movie with a food theme:

"Caille en Sarcophage avec Sauce Perigourdine"

(Quail in Puff Pastry Shell with Foie Gras and Truffle Sauce)

Even if the budget would have covered the cost of the ingredients, I doubt that the Whole Foods market where the Chefs shopped would have sold lobes of foie gras-reportedly banned from being served in Chicago restaurants.

I don't think the budget for the Elimination Challenge, ($150 for 8 diners), probably would have been enough to create a dish from my favorite movie with a food theme:

"Caille en Sarcophage avec Sauce Perigourdine"

(Quail in Puff Pastry Shell with Foie Gras and Truffle Sauce)

Even if the budget would have covered the cost of the ingredients, I doubt that the Whole Foods market where the Chefs shopped would have sold lobes of foie gras-reportedly banned from being served in Chicago restaurants.

Edited to add that this dish is of course from "Babbette's Feast."

If my budget of $150 wasn't enough to buy quail, black truffles and foie gras, and if Whole Foods had some turtle meat, (nah-they wouldn't sell meat from a precious species like a turtle would they?), I would have gone with:

Potage a’la Tortue

(Turtle Soup)

Failing the budget crunch and lack of politically unpopular ingredients, I would have settled for the dessert from Babbette's Feast:

Baba au Rhum avec les Figues

(Rum Cake with Dried Figs)

Although we are only four weeks in, this was my favorite episode of season 4 so far. A fine episode of cooking. For the most part.

I liked the fact that the producers presented the Chefs with two challenges that tested their culinary skills. And while I am sure we will see some ridiculous challenges in the coming weeks, I hope that we will not be shamed with one of the absolute worst challenges of Top Chef seasons past. Was it year one or two when the Chefs were challenged to create a sumptuous dish using ingredients from the pantry of the local Convenience Store? You remember, dishes of Fried Pork Rinds and Suzy Q's. How dreadful.

But in contrast to my criticism of laughable challenges of the past, I give kudos to the webnerds at Bravo for adding a new feature to the Top Chef website, "Rate The Plate." I like seeing photos and descriptions of the dishes presented by the Chefs. But.....a word of advice to the keepers of the website....make it fair for all the Chefs.

It you click on the photo of Andrew's Quickfire dish, you see a horribly out of focus plate with something red, something white and something black. That's it, a bad photo and no description of the ingredients in the dish. That isn't fair to Andrew.

Just two clicks away you see a clear photo and description of Dale's winning Quickfire dish of "Daikon Marinated in Tobanjan, Tournee of Avocado and Cucumber." Looks nice Dale and you deserved the win.

All the Chefs and all the photos deserved the same treatment. Make "Rate the Plate" fair for all Bravo.

I did like the Quickfire Challenge testing the chefs "technical" skills. I did chuckle a bit to myself, (and said a little "I told you so"), when Chef Boulud prophetically told the chefs prior to announcing Dale the winner to "take 5 minutes to THINK of a plan." Exactly Chef and what I've screamed about for weeks-put some thought into your dish first before lighting ten burners on the stove. Think first, cook second, lest you might present a weak dish ala Manuel.

Sadly for Manuel, Chef Boulud had to admonish him for his dish being "very weak, a fennel frond is NOT technique." Ouch!

Richard has established himself as the front runner at the first turn of this long horse race. He really was the "Top Chef" of the team with Andrew and Dale as his Sous Chef partners. And what a team they were.

Their dish of "Smoked Salmon with Faux Caviar and White Chocolate with Wasabi" looked as delicious as the judges said it tasted. And what a beautiful presentation with the accompanying cocktail of "Pear and Celery Soda." Fabulous and definately a "Top Chef" dish.

As always, comedic relief was rife in this episode, with two amusing quips standing out in my mind:

Andrew-the herky-jerky one who has given us three weeks of cheftainment, doesn't disappoint this week when he proclaims that "we will make them (the judges), culinarily crap in their pants." Well, I don't know if they crapped when they tasted the white chocolate-wasabi combination, but your team did win.

Richard-the Chef who by his own self-admission is a student of the School of Molecular Gastronomy, shared a bit of insightful humor about how silly this particular art form can be when he said it's a "bit like a gumball that tastes like a roast beef sandwich that turns into a blueberry pie." No thank you, I prefer your Salmon please.

And of course, we can't leave this week's show behind without commenting on poor Zoi, the woman with the white chocolate inferiority complex.

Zoi opened the door of intimidation when she said that "I can't compete with white chocolate." And..."if that's what THEY want, then I'm outta here." Zoi-the door is now open for you to walk through.

What the judges want isn't the only key to success on Top Chef Zoi. Had you created the lamb dish that fit within the theme-the one you sort of described to the judges-and had it awakened the tastes of the judges through its bold flavors, you and Antonia may not have been before the judges as one of the two least favorite teams.

All in all, a good episode.

I am a but frustrated that Tom didn't submit a blog this week. I would have liked to see a blog from Boloud as well.

--------------------