• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef Season 4

KristiB50

I didn't think this was a well put together episode.  Like last season's yacht meltdown, the way it was edited, people seemed pretty pleased with the dishes, particularly the Red Team. Then it just seemed out of nowhere that the judges were so hard on both teams.  Maybe I drifted somewhere, but I just don't remember any shots of the judges making many comments about the food.  Last week's zoo ep, for example, you pretty much knew how things were going to shake out.  I was as surprised as the Red team when they lost.

I think that was the whole point of the editing: I figured as soon as they started showing both teams so happy with all the dishes, and then no judge reactions, that we were due for a smackdown. Kinda formulaic, but I guess it didn't really bother me that much. Just gotta read between the lines, I think.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

But this seemed just seemed excessive. The comments and judgment should logically follow from what the viewer is presented. I did worry when Red team started kicking back and celebrating. But again, what we were shown was that attendees seemed happy with the food, everyone had a good time, there were more good comments aimed their way, and I just don't recall judges saying as many bad things, certainly not enough to say that both teams underperformed this time.

But this seemed just seemed excessive.

Yeah, I can agree with that. If I were editing the show every single one would basically flow logically, but I think they like to go out of their way to "mix things up." The contestants and judges provided the editors with the perfect fodder for this sort of thing when all the chefs were happy and all the judges were not.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I had the same reaction. The judges are very nitpicky, I think, when it comes to what dishes are "supposed to be." I think the chefs would be better off with a strategy to avoid the names of classic dishes. Like Richard's could have been "Spanish Inspired Rice with Sausage and Seafood" and they couldn't have nailed him about the crusty stuff on the bottom of the pot.

I think they all need to start doing the 'finger quote' thing when they call one of their dishes by a classic name.

My question is how does Richard feel about his taco being on Rick Bayless' menu? I know that's been an honor before and I would think it's kind of a mixed blessing -- seems to me they are taking someone else's idea and profiting from it.

Boy, I thought the same thing. I may have been reading too much into it but it looked to me that Richard registered some shock when that was announced. (Thinking about it, I must have made that up; they would have HAD to know that in advance, wouldn't they? :unsure: )

My question is how does Richard feel about his taco being on Rick Bayless' menu? I know that's been an honor before and I would think it's kind of a mixed blessing -- seems to me they are taking someone else's idea and profiting from it.

Boy, I thought the same thing. I may have been reading too much into it but it looked to me that Richard registered some shock when that was announced. (Thinking about it, I must have made that up; they would have HAD to know that in advance, wouldn't they? :unsure: )

Are there any topics on this board about recipe intellectual property or "borrowing" recipes?

I thought this was fairly standard practice in the industry. I mean I know Eric didn't invent the lobster corn dog thing...

Are there any topics on this board about recipe intellectual property or "borrowing" recipes?

I thought this was fairly standard practice in the industry.  I mean I know Eric didn't invent the lobster corn dog thing...

There is a lengthy discussion of the topic over here.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I thought this was fairly standard practice in the industry.  I mean I know Eric didn't invent the lobster corn dog thing...

There is a lengthy discussion of the topic over here.

Interesting Chris! And look who commented on it. Here with post #6. Sorry I don't know how to link directly to his post.

Edited by Tsulli1 (log)

Is it just me, or is the product placement in tonight's episode particularily egregious? I mean, if some TV crew came into my kitchen and said "Hey, we want to film a segment in here, can we plant some KC Masterpiece in your pantry" I'd tell them where they can put their KC Masterpiece!  :raz: It feels to me like that's a different level of product placement than just having those items conspicuously on camera in the Top Chef kitchen.

What about the Italian dressing in the fridge? Oh, yes, I just happen to have 3 bottles of SPICY Italian dressing unopened in my fridge.

I can only imagine the producers that day -- ok, I want you to open the fridge, grab one of the bottles sitting in the front of the shelf there, make sure the label is facing the camera and say "Hey! Italian dressing, SPICY Italian too!"

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Less swearing, although Andrew has regained the "annoying" title.

I really hope that when/if he goes down he is removed by security gaurds... ... as he requested. :biggrin:

I thought the look on Colicchio's face was priceless when Andrew told the judges, "It's MY house [i'm not leaving]." Colicchio looked like he'd been hit with a paella pan. EXCUSE me - a "Spanish-inspired rice dish" pan. (Since there apparently was no paella in this week's challenge (!)) :biggrin:

The entire "shopping at peopel's houses" idea was ridiculous and pointless. The food items were obviously placed intentionally. Did they just need to fill up some time on the show?

I would much rather see more details about specific dishes and their critiques than watch people collect ingredients from random places.

Richard (as you can see from the post in the Daily Gullet) puts a high price on craft, and I'm sure he's fine with Bayless copying the dish -- it's a sign of respect, after all. But it's one thing to say you're appropriating a dish; it's another thing to actually put it into service.

Richard is like a guy I knew who got rich in the early 80's tech scene. He used to say "Ideas are easy. Making them work is the trick." I've seen Blais invent dishes on the spot with ingredients that just show up on the dock (at Element, he had a standing order with his fruit-and-vegetable guy to just bring the best stuff he could find; the crew would figure out a way to get it on the menu).

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Pasta Salad? While I can understand not wanting to make it I question the wisdom of including it at all. IMHO a nice baked pasta dish would have been a better choice.

As for Andrew's little hissy fit... Gad. Way to win friends and influence people. I'm pretty sure he's not actually on Meth but his behaviour sure is suggestive of tweaking which makes me want to reach through the TV and smack him.

I sometimes wonder if the contestants have even watched previous seasons at all-

making classic dishes that don't match what the dish is supposed to be and or trying to hold food that does not benefit by long holding sure seems to be a recurring theme.

Still feeling perplexed by many of the choices being made as far as menu items go.

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

I can't believe that no one has said anything about Blais's faux pas during the quick fire. Didn't anyone notice that he double dipped in the avacado salsa or whatever it was. He tasted the dish and stuck the spoon right back in to stir it some more. As soon as Blais did that, my husband said something about how there would be pages of posts about it. Oh well, I guess he was wrong.

I was amused how the losing team actually thought that they should cook for the masses and not for the judges. It was ok that the corndogs were soggy because what does middle America care?

I can't believe that no one has said anything about Blais's faux pas during the quick fire.  Didn't anyone notice that he double dipped in the avacado salsa or whatever it was.  He tasted the dish and stuck the spoon right back in to stir it some more.  As soon as Blais did that, my husband said something about how there would be pages of posts about it.  Oh well, I guess he was wrong. 

I SAW that, and was pretty horrified. But then again, I've seen it on Iron Chef, too (Japanese version), but I'd have to look at my tapes again to see if it was Morimoto or one of the other ICs.

I think he was mashing up avocados in a Mexican mortar/pestle (the name of which escapes me) . . . but STILL . . . ! :shock:

(Oh, damn, no green/barfy emoticon . . . )

I was amused how the losing team actually thought that they should cook for the masses and not for the judges.  It was ok that the corndogs were soggy because what does middle America care?

That was stupid and insulting...as was what his name's comment about Mexican food cannot be fine dining!! I sure am not sorry to see him go.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Last night I just kept thinking..."Hey Spike, K-Fed called and he wants his hat back".

Hahaa, I definitely agree with that. And also, when Andrew said, "It's MY house" - I couldn't help but burst into laughter. I'm sure he was quite serious, but he's so awkward, it was funny.

There is no love sincerer than the love of food. - George Bernard Shaw

star shaped cookies - my blog

I can't believe that no one has said anything about Blais's faux pas during the quick fire.  Didn't anyone notice that he double dipped in the avacado salsa or whatever it was.  He tasted the dish and stuck the spoon right back in to stir it some more.  As soon as Blais did that, my husband said something about how there would be pages of posts about it.  Oh well, I guess he was wrong. 

I was amused how the losing team actually thought that they should cook for the masses and not for the judges.  It was ok that the corndogs were soggy because what does middle America care?

Oh! I thought that right away, about Richard double dipping. I just forgot about it until you mentioned it.

I agree that they are better off cooking for the judges. Speaking as someone who grew up in Chicago, I would have rather had good food ... I can get crappy pasta salad any day.

My blog: Rah Cha Chow