• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Annabella's Mozzerella in East Rutherford

Batard

The place is really called Annabella's Salumeria E Groceria Italiana, but the locals just call it Annabella's, and it is the best kept secret in the area. They make the finest mozzarella I ever had; at first I thought it was buffalo mozzarella because it had so much depth, but it also tasted too fresh to be imported. Turns out the owner, Billy, makes his own. And he knows what he is doing.

Annabella's is in an out-of-the way place, on 246 Hackensack St, East Rutherford, NJ, right next to the Park and Orchard. They make fantastic and very creative hot and cold sandwiches and the menu has a lot of imagination. The entrees are also outstanding. All the salads, marinated items, and little appetizer items like rice balls are made in house. It's mostly take out, though they do have one nice table that could seat 6. The best thing about this place is Billy, the owner/cook. You can tell he really loves food and puts his heart into everything he makes, and that's what separates him from the other million Italian places in the area. Really fresh ingredients help too.

I went in tonight and asked him to make me something -- whatever he felt like. I ended up with a beautiful Piadina, made with Calabrese sopressatta, artichoke hearts, and a little shaved Romano. Simple and delicious, and as Billy pointed out to me, a sandwich that has a 2,000 year old history. If you walk in and order a wrap he will make it for you, but he would really rather make you a Piadina. He understands that sometimes "less is more" when cooking Italian, and how to build combinations that really add up.

Now it looks like his business is a little slow, and I hope word gets out about this place and people give it a try. He doesn't advertise. As you all know, there is nothing more disappointing than when a little neighborhood place you just love goes out of business, and all that's left are the million other cruddy Italian places.

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

The place is really called Annabella's Salumeria E Groceria Italiana, but the locals just call it Annabella's, and it is the best kept secret in the area. They make the finest mozzarella I ever had; at first I thought it was buffalo mozzarella because it had so much depth, but it also tasted too fresh to be imported. Turns out the owner, Billy, makes his own. And he knows what he is doing.

Annabella's is in an out-of-the way place, on 246 Hackensack St, East Rutherford, NJ, right next to the Park and Orchard. They make fantastic and very creative hot and cold sandwiches and the menu has a lot of imagination. The entrees are also outstanding. All the salads, marinated items, and little appetizer items like rice balls are made in house. It's mostly take out, though they do have one nice table that could seat 6. The best thing about this place is Billy, the owner/cook. You can tell he really loves food and puts his heart into everything he makes, and that's what separates him from the other million Italian places in the area. Really fresh ingredients help too.

I went in tonight and asked him to make me something -- whatever he felt like. I ended up with a beautiful Piadina, made with Calabrese sopressatta, artichoke hearts, and a little shaved Romano. Simple and delicious, and as Billy pointed out to me, a sandwich that has a 2,000 year old history. If you walk in and order a wrap he will make it for you, but he would really rather make you a Piadina. He understands that sometimes "less is more" when cooking Italian, and how to build combinations that really add up.

Now it looks like his business is a little slow, and I hope word gets out about this place and people give it a try. He doesn't advertise. As you all know, there is nothing more disappointing than when a little neighborhood place you just love goes out of business, and all that's left are the million other cruddy Italian places.

Batard,

I too am a regular at Annabella's and feel the same as you do about Billy. He is always prodding his customers to break out of their ruts to try something new, and when he makes a recommendation it is always delicious.

A couple of weeks ago he had Cotechino as a special and was amazed that he did not have to explain what is was or pitch it to someone that came through the door. Cotechino is not something you find everywhere and transforms a mundane weekday lunch into something special. He gets a thrill out of turning his clientele onto different dishes or ingredients and his culinary inclinations and mindset are more like that of a passionate gourmand than that of a typical deli owner.

I hope his slow down in business is only an abberation because of the colder weather, and not due to lack of interest in what he is offering. It is always sad when a place that tries to offer a different experience to its patrons does not resonate and they are forced out of business. He has expressed to customers upon ocassion that he does not regret leaving his previous career behind to pursue this opportunity and it is very apparent that he loves what he is doing.

Also, I believe he has 2nd location in Hackensack, which I have never been to. I hope that this place prospers as well.

Edited by Anthony A (log)