• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sea Salt for Less

We're attempting a whole salt-baked striped bass for a dinner party tomorrow night (theme: "Recipe for Disaster"--seriously) and need pounds of sea salt. Is there any place in Manhattan to buy large quantities for a somewhat reasonable amount? Anyone sell it in bulk?

Sorry. I have to limit it to Manhattan or possibly northern NJ very close to the city.

Thanks.

We're attempting a whole salt-baked striped bass for a dinner party tomorrow night (theme: "Recipe for Disaster"--seriously) and need pounds of sea salt. Is there any place in Manhattan to buy large quantities for a somewhat reasonable amount? Anyone sell it in bulk?

Sorry. I have to limit it to Manhattan or possibly northern NJ very close to the city.

Thanks.

Use kosher salt. A heck of a lot cheaper and it won't make a difference for the salt baked recipe you're doing.

FYI, my husband tells me he just found very VERY low-cost boxes of coarse sea salt at the Italian imports store in Chelsea market. Haven't seen or tasted it yet, but I imagine whatever it is, it'll work out fine. Unless it melts in the oven, of course. Oh well. That's sort of the idea of the dinner: Try something you've never attempted before, and if it doesn't work out, we'll call for pizza.

Pickling Salt should be even cheaper

I don't know that pickling salt will give the same results - doesn't it melt a lot more easily than kosher salt?

I compared the two types of salt, and I now use pickling salt as much as Kosher salt.

Kosher salt has a very even crystal, whereas pickling salt ranges from smaller to larger. It dissolves less quickly, but more immediately.

There is one additional problem with Kosher salt: it is not pure; the brands I see have one or even two additives, but pickling salt is pure.

The grocery store in K-town 32nd St. has sea salt in 5lb bags (or thereabouts). I can't remember the exact price, but I think it's reasonably priced (otherwise I wouldn't use it all the time).