• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canned Chicken

NoNiceTime

Yes, we have Costco (and Walmarts and now Target and no doubt a few others), but these Canadian stores don't carry all the same stock as in the USA. I'll look for canned chicken next time in.

Thanks, Lindag

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I admit it is mostly curiosity on my part, having worked as a researcher for many years.

OTOH, a can is something you can keep for long periods on the shelf to make something in just a few minutes when you are tired, preoccupied, out of ingredients, with downed power lines (and a generator), etc. We are starting an emergency food storage and so canned meat is of some interest to me.

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

We used to be able to buy canned chicken in all the supermarkets in Canada during the 70's and 80's. It was a whole chicken with gelled stock, and handy for lunch when our band of 6 was travelling on the road in a motorhome. I was able to prepare lunch on the move. It was juicy and didn't need much chewing. :rolleyes: The product disappeared for a while, but a friend gave my son a can as a joke for his birthday last year. Not sure if it was a new product or one from his parents' emergency supply from 30 years ago. :laugh:

Not sure how the meat would work in soup, unless you add it at the last minute to heat up. But, it would certainly work for emergency supply.

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I admit it is mostly curiosity on my part, having worked as a researcher for many years.

OTOH, a can is something you can keep for long periods on the shelf to make something in just a few minutes when you are tired, preoccupied, out of ingredients, with downed power lines (and a generator), etc. We are starting an emergency food storage and so canned meat is of some interest to me.

OK. Thanks. I don't know how extreme your weather conditions are.

Just something I've never come across and I've lived in extreme climates.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Suddenly Dejah, I have this vague memory of a can...no, wait it was a ham maybe...

As for the weather, Liuzhou...we lose our power quite often out here in the country in the winter especially. Trees across the road loaded with ice pull all the wires down with them. And it can be up to 5 days or so to have it restored. Ice Storm '98, some folks in Ontario and Quebec were weeks without power. The devastation was incredible and if you didn't have stored food, you would have been lost. We were very lucky and missed it all in our area.

ps. I loathe canned meat except for Hereford Corned Beef, a leftover from childhood.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Darienne, the brand name, here in the States is Sweet Sue, and the label looks like blue checks, very country. The also do a canned chicken and dumplings, that with a little gussying up isn't too bad! For emergency food, it'll do! (Oy, between carnying and hurricanes, could I tell you about emergency food!)

For emergency chicken salad, the canned stuff works well, except you need to add textural elements like water chestnuts, maybe broken walnuts, minced leftover ham, etc. and plenty of seasoning.

ETA: salad

Edited by judiu (log)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

We are starting an emergency food storage and so canned meat is of some interest to me.

An excellent idea. Living in earthquake country, we did the same thing, and created two big containers filled with emergency items, including canned foods. We have camping gear to use should power be out, so we can cook on the camping stove and have adequate heat and light.

... Shel

Found Kirkland canned chicken breast packed in water in our local Costco. 354 grams per can, with recipes taped to the top of the pile. Product of the USA, prepared for the Canadian market. Haven't worked up the courage to open a can yet.

P1010001_32.JPG

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Worked up my courage. Looks like canned tuna chunks. Has the texture of canned tuna chunks. Tastes very reminiscent of chicken. Going to put it into tonight's salad.

P1010002_01.JPG

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Commercially canned chicken is vile!!!

The phosphates they add to it make taste absolutely horrible....all for the sake of water retention!

It's so easy and a much better deal to 'can' it at home.....without the phosphates!

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

haha, they used canned whole chicken on an episode of Chopped a while ago, when they opened the can to get it out it looked like a can giving birth to a chicken, yikes! Never even heard of whole bird canned before. Of course, now I'm gonna get one once I see it somewhere, just because

• Like 1

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Not long after finishing college, and having almost nothing to cook w., I bought one of the whole canned chickens. Don't know why I thought what was in the can would be anything like the golden roasted bird on the label. When I opened the can and slid the product out, I recall a feeling of horror.

I was hungry enough, and poor enough that I picked the breast meat out of the gelatinous mess. It was edible, but scooping away the skin was pretty disgusting.

But, having sat in a frigid house for nearly 4 days after a winter storm power outage, I keep a few cans of chicken, ham, corned beef waiting to be heated by a camp stove.

• Like 2

So, this is nothing to brag about, but it is sort of funny. :raz: The second half of the can of canned chicken breast, opened three nights ago, got put by DH into the fridge straight in the bowl, uncovered, in which it sat. He took the chicken out last night and remarked that somewhat dried out, it tasted better and more like chicken than it had when freshly opened.

It gets added to tonight's salad supper.

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.