• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Travelogue: Spirited Away

Peter Green

Amy's current blog has triggered me to get my act together and start collecting more info.

As a number of you figured out from my not too subtle hints, I'm off to Japan. The boy is flying out from Vancouver and the two of us will see how much trouble we can get into.

I've had a lot of help from Prasantrin (Rona) already, and the itinerary is pretty well firmed up. The lodgings may not be, but the itinerary is (I take all blame for the really stupid parts, however).

It'll be Osaka first, then Kyoto, and finally Tokyo, where we'll wrap up with the Tokyo International Anime Fair. (Plus a couple of nights in Hong Kong on the way back, but that'll have to go in another spot, it won't belong here).

I'm looking for the "must eats" that people feel strongly about. No guarantees that we'll make it to them, but if I don't know, I won't try.

And I'm a very trying person.

Okay, let's get this party started.

I have returned my tray to the upright position and fastened my belt . . .

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

What is your price range for "must eat" places? Could you give me an example of a restaurant you really enjoy in your home area so I can make better suggestions?

What is your price range for "must eat" places? Could you give me an example of a restaurant you really enjoy in your home area so I can make better suggestions?

Dear John,

We'll be in the under $200 a head range for most of it, I should think, but I could probably up the ante at individual moments by feeding the boy separately and then sedating him with electronics.

Parenting skills, you gotta have them.

Cheers,

Peter

Yay! Peter's back (the Green one not the Eater one, but don't get me wrong, I love reading PtE posts too). Oh boy, this is going to be fun!

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Yay! Peter's back (the Green one not the Eater one, but don't get me wrong, I love reading PtE posts too). Oh boy, this is going to be fun!

My thoughts, exactly! :biggrin:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Wheeee! I can't wait!

No recommendations, sadly, since abject poverty has meant I have eaten in a restaurant exactly twice since returning to Japan after Christmas. I shall live vicariously through your photos, as ever.

I had to stop reading the Korea thread because it made me so homesick, but I shall have no such problem with this one.

I've had a lot of help from Prasantrin (Rona) already, and the itinerary is pretty well firmed up.  The lodgings may not be, but the itinerary is (I take all blame for the really stupid parts, however).

:unsure:

Do I want to know? I have a feeling it will make my head hurt if you tell me, but you know how to get in touch if you need help!

We'll be in the under $200 a head range for most of it, I should think, but I could probably up the ante at individual moments by feeding the boy separately and then sedating him with electronics.

Is that any way to treat your first born and only son? Shocking! Simply shocking! :shock::biggrin:

It was cruel of you Mr. Green to give us this much advance notice. I keep checking in to see if you and Scud have arrived yet. Travel on... We need input! Seriously- as always- we so appreciate your detail and narrative. Looking forward to a great trip.

Is that any way to treat your first born and only son?  Shocking!  Simply shocking!  :shock:  :biggrin:

Hey! I didn't even get to Plan B for when we're really down and out!

He'll function perfectly well on one kidney.

It was cruel of you Mr. Green to give us this much advance notice. I keep checking in to see if you and Scud have arrived yet.  Travel on... We need input! Seriously- as always- we so appreciate your detail and narrative. Looking forward to a great trip.

Advance notice? Heck, I'm out of here in three more wake-ups! I still haven't packed, and my business cards haven't arrived for Scud to drag along (more on our cunning plan as it develops). Cameras need to be checked out, passports found, and money secured.

And, to prepare myself, I need to read more Azu Manga Daioh! (That's what Serena says).

gallery_22892_5790_11313.jpg

Spot Serena in this picture.

(Serena and I are still trying to figure out the link between meatball sandwiches for school lunch and Osaka)

There's a thought.....

Would Godzilla, King Ghidora, Gamora....the lot of them.....

Would they taste like chicken?

(I left Mothra out.  He's more of a bug)

I think Rodan would taste like chicken (the flying monster, not the French sculptor).

And while we're at it, I recall Mothra laying eggs so she's more of a bug.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Peter,

Serena would be the first girl on the left with the long black hair. :)

Tell her Billy says hi and to be careful of great white sharks. LOL

D

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

glad I check this thing once in a while....

HURRY UP (:

I'm moving, I'm moving.

There's a limo waiting on the other side of 8 hours of work. From there to the airport, from there to Hong Kong, from there to Narita.

I so enjoy sitting in a metal tube in the sky for extended periods of my life.

But it'll be worth it.

Cheers,

Peter

Amy's current blog  has triggered me to get my act together and start collecting more info. 

As a number of you figured out from my not too subtle hints, I'm off to Japan.  The boy is flying out from Vancouver and the two of us will see how much trouble we can get into.

I've had a lot of help from Prasantrin (Rona) already, and the itinerary is pretty well firmed up.  The lodgings may not be, but the itinerary is (I take all blame for the really stupid parts, however).

It'll be Osaka first, then Kyoto, and finally Tokyo, where we'll wrap up with the Tokyo International Anime Fair.  (Plus a couple of nights in Hong Kong on the way back, but that'll have to go in another spot, it won't belong here).

I'm looking for the "must eats" that people feel strongly about.  No guarantees that we'll make it to them, but if I don't know, I won't try.

I highly recommend trying kushikatsu (deep fried stuff on skewers) in Osaka, specifically in the seedy Shinsekai area. Daruma is my favourite place but the area is filled with kushikatsu restauarants.

For extra fun you could have kushi-age, kushikatsu's refined cousin, while in Tokyo. Hantei in Nezu (will shortly be posting about a recent lunch there) is tops for atmosphere and fanciness of food; Kushinobo (chain) is almost as nice and better value; Kushiya (chain) is the least fancy: you have to cook it yourself, in little vats of oil that are built into the table.

Let me know if any place interests; will provide addresses/directions.

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

Amy's current blog  has triggered me to get my act together and start collecting more info.  

As a number of you figured out from my not too subtle hints, I'm off to Japan.  The boy is flying out from Vancouver and the two of us will see how much trouble we can get into.

It'll be Osaka first, then Kyoto, and finally Tokyo, where we'll wrap up with the Tokyo International Anime Fair.   (Plus a couple of nights in Hong Kong on the way back, but that'll have to go in another spot, it won't belong here).

I'm looking for the "must eats" that people feel strongly about.   No guarantees that we'll make it to them, but if I don't know, I won't try.

I highly recommend trying kushikatsu (deep fried stuff on skewers) in Osaka, specifically in the seedy Shinsekai area. Daruma is my favourite place but the area is filled with kushikatsu restauarants.

For extra fun you could have kushi-age, kushikatsu's refined cousin, while in Tokyo. Hantei in Nezu (will shortly be posting about a recent lunch there) is tops for atmosphere and fanciness of food; Kushinobo (chain) is almost as nice and better value; Kushiya (chain) is the least fancy: you have to cook it yourself, in little vats of oil that are built into the table.

Let me know if any place interests; will provide addresses/directions.

Thanks, Amy!

I'll get back to you on these. Gotta catch my ride to the airport.

Peter

Don't tell Peter, but from what I can tell, he's staying in Shinsekai. :biggrin::unsure:

But I hear the area has experienced some sort of gentrification, and if not, he's a big guy...I'm sure he can handle himself...

And if nothing else, things that go wrong are not my fault! :raz:

:shock:

Hey! Weren't you the one that said there weren't any "bad" areas in Japan?

Is this going to be on par with my Hotel 88 Bencoolen stay in Singapore?

(Not to worry, I've watched enough Takashi Miike films to expect the bizarre :raz: )

:shock:

Hey!  Weren't you the one that said there weren't any "bad" areas in Japan?

Is this going to be on par with my Hotel 88 Bencoolen stay in Singapore?

(Not to worry, I've watched enough Takashi Miike films to expect the bizarre    :raz: )

Twenty-four posts, and you haven't even gotten there yet? What are you trying to do, torture us? C'mon, man, we're hungry! Let's eat!