• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

venice restaurants good for kids

ellenesk

• 1 month later...

First off I highly recommend a book Chow Venice its available on Amazon. It is by two authors who post frequently on my primary message board www.slowtrav.com

You can try posting there it is quite active over there.

The kids may be frustrated depending on their age etc. on the pacing of a typical restaurant. I recommend two categories

Osterias- specific recommendation near Piazza San Marco- Leon bianco Osteria

Pizza! its great and places also frequently have salad or pasta as weell. service tends to be more efficient as well.

Will be there in June.  need suggestions for places that will accomodate non seafood eaters, and not break the bank(under 40 euros per person).  We are staying near piazza san marco.

We've eaten at Osteria Da Alberto (Calle Giacinto Gallina, Phone: 041.5238153.) with kids. Good unpretentious food. It was no problem with kids and if they are old enough they can play in the piazza outside while you finish up.

I second Da Alberto, especially for lunch. We had a late lunch there, just walked in. The tables were well-spaced, and even tho no kids were with us I would definitely have been comfortable w/kids. The waitstaff was very sweet and relaxed. And the mussels were out of this world. I'm sure they would make your kids a simple plate of pasta.

I looked in vain for good pizza in Venice. One place was okay, with nice outdoor tables next to a small canal (can't remember the name) but I would avoid Ae Oche, which for some reason is highly touted in the guide books. At night it was full of young noisy people (not that that's a bad thing), sevice was slow and we all thought the pizzas were dreadful.

Another thought for pizza is Pizza Accademia, at the foot of the Accademia bridge on the side across the Grand Canal from San Marco.

This pizza is fine (nothing great, but adequate for Venice). The seating is outdoors in a spectacular setting with a phenomenal view of the Chiesa della Salute.

Katie, was the place by the small canal by chance Il Refolo? It would be great for kids -- the address is Campiello del Piovan 1459, behind the Church of San Giacomo dell’Orio, in Santa Croce. And a third vote for da Alberto, in Cannaregio. The further you get from San Marco, the more reasonably -- and better -- you eat. as a general rule.

No, I wish! Il Refolo was closed when we were in Venice. I think they close early for the season, but I am sure they will be open in June. That's a good suggestion--I've heard great things about it.

I have one bit of advice for anyone visiting Venice. Get the Rough Guide Map, the one sold separately and printed on rain-resistant paper. It's better than the map that comes with the Rough Guide book Venice, because it actually has EVERY street on it! No other map I've seen has every little street with every street name. It was invaluable. I've never seen anywhere in the world where more people were consulting maps at every intersection. Sometimes we just gave up and wandered aimlessly; you get lost and found about two hundred times a day.

If the kids don't like to eat fish but like to look at amazing sea creatures (albeit mostly on ice) take them to the Rialto fish market, which operates almost every morning. There was a whole swordfish (really big!), live eels, teensy weensy live crabs, and all manner of amazing things.

If that's too gross, make it up to them by stopping (again) at one of the six thousand gelaterias. If you want to see their eyes pop (unless they are already too high on sugar) take them to Marchini, just a couple of blocks from San Marco. It's worth it for the visuals alone; pastries from out of a dream. But then Venice is a whole city that's like a giant beautiful confection.