• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great restaurants in South Beach

worldtoughmilkman

"great restaurants in South Beach" is kind of an oxymoron.

Sardinia is very good regional Italian but that doesn't sound like what you're going for.

Places like Table 8, the restaurant in the Setai, the Blue Door, Mark's, or Wish do standard big-city trendy restaurant food...some of which is edible, some of which isn't. but the emphasis is never on the food.

"great restaurants in South Beach" is kind of an oxymoron.

Sardinia is very good regional Italian but that doesn't sound like what you're going for.

Places like Table 8, the restaurant in the Setai, the Blue Door, Mark's, or Wish do standard big-city trendy restaurant food...some of which is edible, some of which isn't.  but the emphasis is never on the food.

While not on South Beach, for 'new and exciting' I would recommend Michy's or North One10 on the Biscayne Corridor in Miami; and Michael's Genuine and Brosia in the Design District (for a current Brosia review, and an idea of what is going on in the DD, click on Brosia Dining Review. You can cab it.

On Lincoln Rd., try Le Bon, a teriffic Belgian spot for moules frites and Belgian beers. New and exciting? Sardinia for Sardinian food and wine, maybe La Marea at the Townhouse? Haven't been, but I heard a few good reports.

A bit north of SoBe is one of my favorites -- The Forge. I also like A Fish Called Avalon (haven't been there in about a year plus). I spend a couple of weeks a year there and have always had enjoyable meals. Although I am not a "chain" guy, the Smith & Wollensky is in my rotation. There's another place that a friend took me too -- Italian flair, small, husband and wife operation -- very nice. I'll have to get the name.

Good luck and enjoy.

Eric

A bit north of SoBe is one of my favorites -- The Forge. I also like A Fish Called Avalon (haven't been there in about a year plus). I spend a couple of weeks a year there and have always had enjoyable meals. Although I am not a "chain" guy, the Smith & Wollensky is in my rotation. There's another place that a friend took me too -- Italian flair, small, husband and wife operation -- very nice. I'll have to get the name.

Good luck and enjoy.

Eric

Thanks for all of the input. I have settled on Michael's for Wednesday and will try and find a few Haitian/Carribean joints on Tuesday.

• 2 weeks later...
maybe La Marea at the Townhouse?  Haven't been, but I heard a few good reports.

La Marea at the Townhouse? There's Bond Street Sushi at the Townhouse Hotel, and La Marea at the Tides Hotel - which I found to be pretty mediocre:

http://www.chowhound.com/topics/469845

Danny, were you thinking of something else?

Yes...La Marea at The Tides. Heard some good reports; haven't been myself.

Yes...La Marea at The Tides.  Heard some good reports; haven't been myself.

There was a published review that was pretty glowing - my experience was decidedly underwhelming. Place was also absolutely dead, which I wouldn't hold against it other than that it rarely bodes well for food quality (low inventory turnover and all).