• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cross-Country Transition Information Hunt

So I'm an avid culinary warrior, heading from Michigan to Portland for a change of pace as early as June, as late as August.

Seeing how I'm transitioning everything, from all my personal markets where I find the best deals, to all the restauranteurs with whom I've worked, I'd love a bit of information regarding the food scene on several levels--

Shopping-- a need for quality/selection combined with a "creative" budget.

Eating out-- see previous...

Working in the food scene-- I'm currently a private chef, and have done everything from serving/bartending to executive chef-ing.

Any help/info would be great!

Torren O'Haire - Private Chef, FMSC Tablemaster, Culinary Scholar

"life is a combination of magic and pasta"

-F. Fellini

"We should never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

-J. Child

You have to try the P-Land Farmers Market, but its too big and comercial for my taste. Try the Vancouver FM - it's smaller, more intimate, better produce (IMO).

There's only one Whole Food in town (In deep down town), but there are a number of New Seasons (which I'm told have been bought by Whole Foods.)

For beef and pork DO NOT MISS Gartners (gartnersmeat.com)

And check out PortlandFood.org. Its a great community of food lovers who meet and know everything about the Portland food world.

Welcome to the best city in the world (Just don't tell anyone else!)

Jamie Lee

Beauty fades, Dumb lasts forever. - Judge Judy

You have to try the P-Land Farmers Market, but its too big and comercial for my taste.  Try the Vancouver FM - it's smaller, more intimate, better produce (IMO).

There's only one Whole Food in town (In deep down town), but there are a number of New Seasons (which I'm told have been bought by Whole Foods.)

For beef and pork DO NOT MISS Gartners  (gartnersmeat.com)   

And check out PortlandFood.org.  Its a great community of food lovers who meet and know everything about the Portland food world. 

Welcome to the best city in the world (Just don't tell anyone else!)

Whole Foods bought Wild Oats, which used to be Natures. As far as I know, New Seasons is still locally owned.

• 3 weeks later...

And check out PortlandFood.org.  Its a great community of food lovers who meet and know everything about the Portland food world. 

I second this suggestion. Portlandfood.org is a very comprehensive source for all things Portland. You are gonnna love it there!

Born Free, Now Expensive