• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Imbibing Itinerary or Cocktail Crawl

BryanZ

I think one would have to worry if one were able to finish a Staggerac in the time spent to drink a standard up cocktail.  :biggrin:

You have never gone to pdt with H. du Bois.

Hey! Not my fault they're so damned good.

Glad you made it over there and had the opportunity to have one of Joaquin's cocktails.  (oh, and Kelvin rocks.)

Did you also hit Little Branch?

I did not - our schedule was tight and I was cutting it close just getting some time off to visit in peace. But there is a great list the next time I am there.

• 8 months later...

Hello wonderful New York Cocktailians...

I'm back in town through Wednesday afternoon... any new places / bartenders / cocktails over the past 6 mos you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Ricain

Bar Milano has closed for renovations and will re-open as another 'inoteca location so scratch that from your list. Grayz has closed and reopened as Atria, no idea how the bar is faring there.

Clover Club is fairly new, but out of the way if you are doing a Manhattan-centric crawl.

I don't think Tailor gets enough love, overall, as Eben definitely is doing his own thing. Otherwise, I think the lists above are solid.

Edited by kathryn (log)
"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Bar Milano has closed for renovations and will re-open as another 'inoteca location so scratch that from your list. Grayz has closed and reopened as Atria, no idea how the bar is faring there.

Clover Club is fairly new, but out of the way if you are doing a Manhattan-centric crawl.

I don't think Tailor gets enough love, overall, as Eben definitely is doing his own thing. Otherwise, I think the lists above are solid.

I will add that Clover Club is very close to a subway stop, I think the "F" train.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I'm back in town through Wednesday afternoon... any new places / bartenders / cocktails over the past 6 mos you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Ricain

sasha recently extended white star's menu to serve cocktails supposedly comparable to m&h/little branch. wondering if it'll be michael from little branch mixing the cocktails as he's manned the bar in the past.

fyi, m&h is closed until the 22nd, or at least that's when they're taking resys again. if you haven't heard, there's a paid membership policy that went into effect last november. however the site now lists the resy ph#, and i don't know what that means to the members vs non-members.

you may already have heard about apotheke in ctown, a french apothecary themed speakeasy. the scene and the noise level are the exact opposite of m&h. anyone serious about their cocktail may not appreciate the gimmicky herb-infused drinks. having said that, the bartenders seem knowledgeable and owner albert trummer puts on an impressive fire show at the end of the night. it's worth checking out but i'm not rushing to return.

Thanks in advance,

Ricain

If you didn't make it to PDT last time then you should hit it! (go early or late and sit at the bar)

Thanks in advance,

Ricain

If you didn't make it to PDT last time then you should hit it! (go early or late and sit at the bar)

Many thanks to all who have provided input. I have the following golden tidbits of information on my experience to share:

- My very best friend in the world, who lives in Brooklyn, met me at PDT tonight and swears by Clover Club. And she was not simply doing this to increase the perceived value of living in her neighborhood...

- We very much enjoyed the PDT "Staggerac" as well as a champagne cocktail...

- We then went to Death and Co. Our intention was only to sit for a single round... however, we met Joaquin... and well we ended up staying til past closing. I'll provide a list of the cocktails he recommended and prepared, which were fantastic (tomorrow)... but seriously Joaquin needs serious commendation - he was absolutely fantastic in recommending and creating the cocktails.

Tomorrow we're considering Little Branch and Tailor. If there is any serious opinion on what should be sampled my last night it would be appreciated.

Finally, two questions:

1) Any London favorites? Joaquin recommended the bar at the Connaught.

2) Is the community here familiar with the Velvet Tango Room in Cleveland, where I live currently? Joaquin was familiar and had been, so I was curious if other New Yorkers actually made the trek to the Mistake on the Lake to sample some of Bolognium's most excellent cocktails...

Edited by ricain (log)

Second the Crumble at Tailor, and add on the Nutty Monk or some of the solid cocktails (my favorite was the White Russian).

For Little Branch, ask for an East Side (and/or try it with tequila instead of gin).

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure