• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Imbibing Itinerary or Cocktail Crawl

BryanZ

Need advice for a cocktail crawl I'm putting together for my friend and I this Monday. We'll likely end up doing a late lunch at some three- or four-star joint above 23rd. After that we'll probably mosey on downtown and start our late afternoon/evening of imbibing at the Flatiron Lounge. The Flatiron Lounge seems a good starting place, as it's centrally located and opens at 5 PM.

The question, is where to go from here.

Itinerary #1 includes the following:

-Walking from Flatiron downtown to Little Branch

-Walking further downtown to Employees Only

-Walking further downtown to Ushi Wakamaru for dinner

-Finishing out the night at Pegu Club

The problems with this itinerary include more walking than I'd like and the fact that Employees Only does not open until 7 PM. To counter this one could take the 1 down to Houston, going straight from Flatiron to Pegu (opens at 5 PM) to Ushi, then walking uptown hitting EO and LB along the way.

Itinerary #2 is more focused on the East Village:

-Again starting from the Flatiron Lounge, we can walk or subway it to Astor then walk on St. Marks to PDT

-Walk a couple blocks downtown to Death and Co.

-Walk a few blocks uptown to Momo and/or Momo Ssam and/or Setagaya for dinner(s)

This itinerary is more geographically focused and offers more food options. But then again the point of this trip is cocktails after all.

What do you guys think? I know Sundays are slow here on this board but I appreciate any feedback by Monday morning. I also wonder about comfort with all the walking in Itinerary #1 since I'll effectively be in dress clothes--likely a suit or a jacket at the least--because of our TBD high-end lunch.

If I want to maximize my cocktail and dining experiences while minimizing wasted time and discomfort, which should I do?

I vote for itinerary #2...you won't find better cocktails than those being made at PDT and Death & Company (which also doesn't open until 7). And once you're in the EV, everything is within a few minutes walk.

Just be sure not to have more than one drink at Flatiron, otherwise you might not make it much farther! Ssam also has some killer new menu items - imo, no comparison with Setagaya.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I love Little Branch, but it's very quiet early in the evening. Not even sure that it's open by 7. If you do #1 you could hit EO right after Flatiron and then go down another 3 blocks or so to LB after. I know that you're concerned about the walking, but it's not really much more than itinerary #2, just in the opposite direction.

#2 gives you the benefit of D&Co (which is quite spectacular) AND Momo. You can't go wrong there. I often go to both in one night b/c they're really close to each other. If you're still standing after all this and you wanted to hit Pegu, it's really not very far either. LB would be a very short cab ride away too and is more fun later on anyway.

I think I'm voting for #2.

As an aside, I don't go to Flatiron often for reasons that are entirely unclear to me, but I went about 2 weeks ago, and had some fantastic cocktails.

I was at D&C again on Sat evening. Phil made me 2 awesome cocktails - one, a riff on a Martinez with Beefeater, Carpano Antica, Punt Y Mes (both sounds odd to me now, but I'm pretty sure that's right), Luxardo and some of johnder's freaking ridiculously good Abbotts bitters, and two, a fresh peach/Plymouth/egg white/i'm sure there was lemon and simple in there but i wasn't paying enough attention to be sure concoction that rocked.

You have to go to D&C.

...Carpano Antica, Punt Y Mes (both sounds odd to me now, but I'm pretty sure that's right)...

It's Carpano Antica Formula, meaning "Carpano (the manufacturer) ancient formula." This is supposedly Carpano's old formula for vermouth. (Antonio Benedetto Carpano is the inventor of vermouth.)

The other one is Punt e Mes -- Italian, not Spanish, meaning "point and a half" (actually, to be technical, it's Piemontese dialect... Italian would be punto e mezzo or punt'e mezzo). This is a stronger version of vermouth (more herbal, more bitter, more intensely flavored) also made by Carpano. For some reason, it's somewhat common for people over here to say "Y" instead of "E" in the middle, I guess because we're more used to Spanish.

--

Thanks for the insights. We ended up having a great day of excessive eating and drinking. I'll post detailed reports in the appropriate threads, but we started off with a late lunch tasting menu at Bouley. After that it was off to the Barney's Warehouse Sale on 17th then straight to Flatiron Lounge. From there we went to PDT and were taken care by the most excellent John and Don. Two dinners followed at Ramen Setagaya and Momofuku. Finished out the night with light drinks at a bustling Death and Co.

• 6 months later...

Hey folks, wondering if I could get some advice from the locals.

In mid/late-April, I will be taking a long weekend to visit a friend in NYC who just accepted a position at Aquavit. Other than visiting my pal, I'm going because I want to take a drinking tour of some of the cocktail-centric spots around the city. I co-write a cocktail blog (www.scofflawsden.com) based in DC and am looking forward to bringing a better understanding of what a "cocktail" bar/culture should be along with the fantastic beverages I plan on having. (To be fair there are some great cocktail bars and mixologists in DC - PX/Todd Thrasher, EatBar/Gina Chersevani and PS7/Tiffany Short.)

Anyway, I want to hit the usual suspects, D&C, Pegu Club, PDT, Angel's Share, Milk & Honey and Flatiron. Of course I know there is a really good chance I won't be able to get into some of these places if they are packed or for any number of reasons.

What I'm wondering, and hopefully some of ya'll can help me with, is if you think there are better times to go to some of these places than other times, e.g. going to Pegu at 2am would be better than 8pm on Friday/Saturday. Any suggestions on a plan of attack?

I would also be interested to hear if there are any places you think I should hit while in town.

Thanks for reading and much obliged for any help you can give!

Cheers,

Marshall

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them. -Winston Churchill

Co-Author: The Scofflaw's Den

Hey folks, wondering if I could get some advice from the locals.

In mid/late-April, I will be taking a long weekend to visit a friend in NYC who just accepted a position at Aquavit.  Other than visiting my pal, I'm going because I want to take a drinking tour of some of the cocktail-centric spots around the city.  I co-write a cocktail blog (www.scofflawsden.com) based in DC and am looking forward to bringing a better understanding of what a "cocktail" bar/culture should be along with the fantastic beverages I plan on having.  (To be fair there are some great cocktail bars and mixologists in DC - PX/Todd Thrasher, EatBar/Gina Chersevani and PS7/Tiffany Short.)

Anyway, I want to hit the usual suspects, D&C, Pegu Club, PDT, Angel's Share, Milk & Honey and Flatiron.  Of course I know there is a really good chance I won't be able to get into some of these places if they are packed or for any number of reasons. 

What I'm wondering, and hopefully some of ya'll can help me with, is if you think there are better times to go to some of these places than other times, e.g. going to Pegu at 2am would be better than 8pm on Friday/Saturday.  Any suggestions on a plan of attack? 

I would also be interested to hear if there are any places you think I should hit while in town.

Thanks for reading and much obliged for any help you can give!

Cheers,

Marshall

at D&C really early or at prime times, give them your number and they'll call you.

PDT is easiest really early or late...so you could make it your final stop.

you text M&H and then they text you when they have a spot. late (2:30/3) is easier.

Pegu is never a problem but I'd highly suggest early for the simple reason that for some reason it's packed with the goose and soda crowd after midnight on weekends.

on the other hand, Flatiron Lounge gets the goose and soda crowd early.

Angel's Share is only ok. really more of a date place.

instead, go to Elettaria and Tailor -- Eben's unique creations are masterful.

also, feel free to PM some of us before you come.

Thanks for the advice Nathan! My friend at Aquavit was already talking about Tailor and I'm certainly game to try anything that Mr. Freeman mixes up.

I also appreciate your offer of contacting some of ya'll before heading up. I'll certainly take you up on that!

Cheers,

Marshall

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them. -Winston Churchill

• 3 weeks later...

As an addendum to my question above, are there any particular dress codes of which I should be aware? I know for PX in Alexandria, I haven't had any trouble getting in with nice jeans, shoes, button-up shirt and sport coat. Same for the places above? Since this is the closest thing to a vacation I'm going to get anywhere in the near future, I would like to leave the "business" attire at home and rock the jeans/sport coat look.

Thoughts, ideas, musings, all are welcome!

Cheers!

-Marshall

Edited by TMFIII (log)

As an addendum to my question above, are there any particular dress codes of which I should be aware?  I know for PX in Alexandria, I haven't had any trouble getting in with nice jeans, shoes, button-up shirt and sport coat.  Same for the places above?  Since this is the closest thing to a vacation I'm going to get anywhere in the near future, I would like to leave the "business" attire at home and rock the jeans/sport coat look.

Cheers!

-Marshall

you can basically wear whatever you want...t-shirts, sneakers, whatever...as long as you don't look like a homeless person.

As an addendum to my question above, are there any particular dress codes of which I should be aware?  I know for PX in Alexandria, I haven't had any trouble getting in with nice jeans, shoes, button-up shirt and sport coat.  Same for the places above?  Since this is the closest thing to a vacation I'm going to get anywhere in the near future, I would like to leave the "business" attire at home and rock the jeans/sport coat look.

Cheers!

-Marshall

There is no dress code at these type Cocktailian bars/lounges unless you are working behind the bar.

No sportcoat requirements or shiny shoes required. That said, it's downtown NYC, so displaying at least some modicum of personal style is always recommended.

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

If you two are both male you might have some trouble getting into some places at peak times. You might want to bring a female along to increase your chances of entrance.

That is almost completely false with reference to serious cocktail bars in NY. Seriously. You have no clue what you are talking about.

Nice jeans, shoes, button-up shirt and sport coat sounds perfect to me. It's not required, as others have said, but these aren't dive bars, you know?

I was at D&C on Easter Sunday, around 6:45, and the place was already 75% full, with a few large parties in the booths and all but 2 bar seats claimed. By 7pm, people were getting turned away at the door. And it was still light out, outside!

Edited by kathryn (log)
"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

If you two are both male you might have some trouble getting into some places at peak times. You might want to bring a female along to increase your chances of entrance.

That is almost completely false with reference to serious cocktail bars in NY. Seriously. You have no clue what you are talking about.

Classic.

Excuse me, but I do believe that you got me in.

(Because they don't turn you away lightly, although you can't say that without sounding like an asshole).

I'm awfully glad we did get in. I loved those drinks, and it was fascinating watching Johnder and Donbert making them. I can't remember the name of the last drink I got, though. Something that began with an S, but not the Staggerac. So good.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Greatly appreciated.

My long weekend is set for April 18-20, arriving in Manhattan just before Noon on the 18th. Turns out my chef friend will be on duty Friday night, but his lovely fiance will probably be showing myself and my co-writer around. So there will be three of us at any easy speaking joints on Friday night. Saturday night I'm guessing will be just the guys, but I could be wrong and we'll have a member of the fairer sex with us. That *may* keep me out of trouble. :cool:

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Marshall