• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blanc Burgers + Bottles

We (Kansas City) are on the cusp having two locally-owned and operated dedicated burger spots. From reports, these are no road-side diner sandwiches; the "gourmet burger" is about to arrive in Kansas City.

On March 20, Eddie Crane, owner of The Drop on Martini Corner, will be opening the doors of Blanc at 419 Westport Road (between Starbuck’s and Blayney’s).

For a preview of the menu, visit my blog, where I have it posted.

Blanc will be open for lunch starting the Monday after the opening and will be open 11am until 1:30am seven days a week.

The other burger restaurant that I refer to is Chef Burger, a Rob Dalzell (of 1924 Main, Souperman, and pizzabella) enteprise. Chef Burger will be opening in the Power & Light District.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

We (Kansas City) are on the cusp having two locally-owned and operated dedicated burger spots.  From reports, these are no road-side diner sandwiches; the "gourmet burger" is about to arrive in Kansas City.

On March 20, Eddie Crane, owner of The Drop on Martini Corner, will be opening the doors of Blanc at 419 Westport Road (between Starbuck’s and Blayney’s).

For a preview of the menu, visit my blog, where I have it posted.       

Blanc will be open for lunch starting the Monday after the opening and will be open 11am until 1:30am seven days a week.

The other burger restaurant that I refer to is Chef Burger, a Rob Dalzell (of 1924 Main, Souperman, and pizzabella) enteprise.  Chef Burger will be opening in the Power & Light District.

Blanc? Is it dedicated to vocalist Mel or are all of the walls white?

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

That spot on Westport road might be cursed - haven't there been like 3 restaurants open and close there in the past year? It was some kind of sandwich place, then Tatsu's, then a Mexican place. Might as well see if a burger place does any better.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

I think that spot may work if it's the right concept. The problem is only young party kids go to that end of westport at night and have about 30 bucks in their pockets. So weekend night food sales are going to be hard to come by. Lunch during the week is how most restaurants make money there. But doing a neighborhood burger joint it may work. The only thing I'm concerned about is making it too trendy. Westport is kinda divey and people like it that way. I feel bad for Tatsu too....He tried hard and I liked both places he tried to put in there. KC is just such a fickle town :wacko:

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

Blanc?  Is it dedicated to vocalist Mel or are all of the walls white?

I don't, but the name seems to have become a trend, nation-wide. Bar Blanc, which is a new hot thing in NYC, comes to mind.

I have no idea how burgers in Westport are Blanc.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Egads, I shudder whenever confronted with the prospect of yet another gourmet hamburger. My mind's gullet, scarred by so many disappointments, envisions a humongous, overcooked beef patty, slathered high with incongruous toppings, and presented on a too big bun that crumbles and slithers on the way to one's mouth.

A true gourmet burger: a three or four to a pound, non-lean, non-kobe or pseudo-kobe beef patty hand formed loose and plump, grilled in butter on a cast iron skillet or broiled over real charcoal to a proper medium rare, served on a toasted hamburger bun or white bread, and adorned with nothing more daring than sliced vine-ripened tomato, sliced white onion and/or the greenest and least curly of lettuces.

A reasonable cheese, properly grilled bacon, red relish and/or sauteed onions are acceptable variations on a theme. Perhaps mayonnaise or a non-yellow mustard for lubrication. Ketchup, too, if puberty is still in your future. Truffles, fois gras, avocados and bean sprouts are but a few unacceptable embellishments.

Of course they may do things differently in Kansas City.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

... if puberty is still in your future.

These two thoughts should really be linked more closely together, Holly. :wink:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Egads, I shudder whenever confronted with the prospect of yet another gourmet hamburger.  My mind's gullet, scarred my so many disappointments, envisions a humongous, overcooked beef patty, slathered high with incongruous toppings, and presented on a too big bun that crumbles and slithers on the way to one's mouth.

I really hate the ones that are taller than they are wide. I mean, why should I have to eat my hamburger with a pin skewered in it?

A true gourmet burger: a three or four to a pound, non-lean, non-kobe or pseudo-kobe beef patty hand formed loose and plump, grilled in butter on a cast iron skillet or charcoal broiled over real charcoal to a proper medium rare, served on a toasted hamburger bun or white bread, and adorned with nothing more daring than sliced vine-ripened tomato, sliced white onion and or the greenest and least curly of lettuces.

A reasonable cheese, properly grilled bacon, red relish and/or sauteed onions are acceptable variations on a theme.  Perhaps mayonnaise or a non-yellow mustard for lubrication.  Ketchup, too, if puberty is still in your future. Truffles, fois gras, avocados and bean sprouts are but a few unacceptable embellishments.

I don't know how the rest of KC likes its burgers, but I, for one, wouldn't mind a burger place that could offer me a simple, thick, and medium rare patty with any good cheese, onion (raw or caramelized), tomatoes/lettuce (if in season) on a toasted hamburger bun, or even something with a crusty crust, like ciabatta. No mustard, unless grainy. No ketchup. Mayonnaise is felonious. I'll can easily part with the fries, chips and even a can of Cel-Ray if I can get decent fat, beer-battered onion rings. (There was this GREAT place for onion rings out in Sedalia that my dad I and used to stop at on our way down the Ozarks on fishing trips. No one seems to do them correctly (anymore) in Kansas City.)

I suppose I wouldn't mind avocadoes and alfa alfa sprouts, if they're seasonal, and truffles... but why?

Foie gras - no, sorry.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

In no particular order, these are my three favorite burger places in KC:

- Westport Flea Market (just east of SW Trafficway on Westport Rd)

- Jim's Fatburger (70th and Prospect)

- Corner Cocktail (on the east side of 85th and Wornall)

• 4 weeks later...
Blanc?  Is it dedicated to vocalist Mel or are all of the walls white?

I don't, but the name seems to have become a trend, nation-wide. Bar Blanc, which is a new hot thing in NYC, comes to mind.

I walked by this place one night, not connecting it to this thread at first glance, All I could think was that it looked like an iPod exploded inside.

Went for lunch with the BF on a Saturday. Couldn't resist the Kobe burger with truffle butter and balsamic onions, medium rare. Tasted delicious, but I was overwhelmed with the impression of softness - soft buttery bun, slippery onions, and burger itself crumbling apart. Also the watercress was mostly stems and seemed a little out of place. The fries were excellent, of the curled but not curly skinny variety, and served in a cute mini-shopping cart with 3 dipping sauces of the ubiquitous flavored mayo/mustard that purports to be aioli type.

So all in all, tasty, tasty food, but very pretentiously trendy (wouldn't be out of place in the Power & Light district). We spent $35 for two (no alcohol, just Lost Trails Root Beer), which is more than I like to spend for a casual lunch. But definately try it for the food.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

dividend.

Good for you, and good for us. Thanks for that nice report.

Did you two share the Kobe burger?

I love your description of it. Is there a "Genius Bar" in the back? :wink:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

We ate at Blanc recently, and enjoyed it immensely. I wish we would have had our camera. Three of us shared a Pulled Pork Burger, Turkey Burger, and an Au Poivre Burger. We all got different sides. There is a Monday thru Saturday lunch special, which is a selection of several burgers and sides for 8 bucks. Quite reasonable to us. Our sides were Boulevard Pale Ale Onion Rings, Sweet Potato Fries, and regular Fries.

The Pulled Pork Burger was seriously tasty. It was pulled pork molded into a burger shape, then grilled on a flat top it seemed and served on a Farm to Market bun with Chipotle Slaw and pickles. We all loved it. We ordered the Sweet Potato Fries with than. They were some of the best of their kind that we've had.

The Turkey Burger was good, not as exciting as the Pulled Pork. It had the ubiquitous special sauce, avocado, tomato, etc. It was on a Farm to Market Whole Grain Bun. We had the nicely crispy regular fries with that. Chefburger should do fries that well.

The Au Poivre Burger had just the right amount of pepper without being too harsh. The Boulevard Pale Ale Onion Rings were terrific. The portion was so generous, three of of couldn't finish them, but hey, we are older folks!

I understand at night the fries and other side orders come in a little toy cart...ala carte. When we were there last Saturday, the lunch speciasl had the sides right on the platter with the burgers. That's ok by us.

3 of us spent $30 for the lunch specials and our drinks (no booze) not including the gratuity. We didn't feel that 10 dollars per person was out of line. It was a very good lunch.

Edited by maftoul (log)

...There is a Monday thru Saturday lunch special, which is a selection of several burgers and sides for 8 bucks.

Monday through Saturday?

I'm assuming that you mean that the $8 lunch special gives you a choice of ONE of several burger options and ONE side. If, indeed, you mean $8 for several burgers AND sides, that is quite a steal!

For those of you who have been to both ChefBURGER and Blanc, what's the verdict?

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

...There is a Monday thru Saturday lunch special, which is a selection of several burgers and sides for 8 bucks.

Monday through Saturday?

I'm assuming that you mean that the $8 lunch special gives you a choice of ONE of several burger options and ONE side. If, indeed, you mean $8 for several burgers AND sides, that is quite a steal!

For those of you who have been to both ChefBURGER and Blanc, what's the verdict?

Yes, you assumed correctly, it's a choice of one burger and one side for $8. It's still a steal. Of course you knew that :biggrin:

I'd be more likely to return to Blanc. The food was a notch or two above Chefburger, at least to our party.

Edited to add:

A smilie face to not appear snippy, which was not intended!

Edited to add:

In retrospect, comparing Chefburger to Blanc is not quite fair. Their approaches and intents seem to be quite different. Blanc is a table service place, Chefburger is certainly a fast food type operation, but with very good fast food. Both places have great things going for them.

Edited by maftoul (log)

Ah, but the problem with the lunch special is that is does not include the Kobe burger, which costs $12 and adding fries is an additional cost.

Were the sweet potato fries good? I love them elsewhere, but I was splitting with the BF and he doesn't do sweet potatoes.

Were the sweet potato fries good?  I love them elsewhere, but I was splitting with the BF and he doesn't do sweet potatoes.

Not even sweet potatoes when fried and seasoned? He doesn't know what he's missing.

More sweet potato fries for us!

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Ah, but the problem with the lunch special is that is does not include the Kobe burger, which costs $12 and adding fries is an additional cost.

Were the sweet potato fries good?  I love them elsewhere, but I was splitting with the BF and he doesn't do sweet potatoes.

Yes, the sweet potato fries were quite good. Very crispy, which is usually a problem. They were seasoned perfectly. Sometimes sweet potato fries can be sticky, these were not.

In case anyone missed it, Lauren Chapin did a short write-up of Blanc in her Good & Cheap column.

It DOES look like an iPod exploded in there! The "Pork" Burger sounds wonderful.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know if Blanc Burgers + Bottles has put up a website, yet?

I can't locate a site for Blanc. When they do set it up, I hope it is as good as the one for The Drop. That is a very nice website.

Gone twice now and both times have been great and it seems like they have a never ending beverage list with the sodas and beer.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

• 1 month later...

I hate to draw comparisons, but the fact that blanc burgers + bottles and chefBURGER–both offering “fancy” hamburgers–opened within a month of each other makes it inevitable.

From what I’ve seen, there’s no doubt that chefBURGER wins by a good stretch. On certain points, I don’t think it’s fair to compare the two. I don’t think these two restaurants are even in the same league. I’m not sure that chefBURGER ever intended or intends to compete directly with blanc. chefBURGER caters to the sports and beer crowds of the Power & Light District. blanc holds court in Westport, where the yuppies, hipsters, and Bohemians hang.

But, as I stated, I think that comparison and competition is inevitable. blanc is a sit-down service restaurant. It has a bar and an impressive beer list. Their burger selection, though not as comprehensive (or inflated) as chefBURGER’s, is more focused and clean. Presentations are pretty, service is lovely and rather efficient, and blanc’s ingredients and flavors pop more. The prices are pretty comparable, with blanc averaging about $2 more per burger. And, loudness and haze aside, I like the feel of blanc more than chefBURGER, which has all the personality of a high school cafeteria. The only advantage that chefBURGER has over blanc burgers + bottles–and this is a minor one–is that it has a great website. blanc, inexplicably, only has a “My Space” page. Now THAT’S high school.

I’ve been to chefBURGER only once and blanc burgers + bottles twice. I need to visit both more to reach a more definite verdict. But, I think chefBURGER needs to pull out some pretty impressive game in order to change my mind. Judging by the crowds, I don’t think I'm alone.

To read the food portion of my review, visit the ulterior epicure.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I hate to draw comparisons, but the fact that blanc burgers + bottles and chefBURGER–both offering “fancy” hamburgers–opened within a month of each other makes it inevitable.

From what I’ve seen, there’s no doubt that chefBURGER wins by a good stretch. On certain points, I don’t think it’s fair to compare the two. I don’t think these two restaurants are even in the same league. I’m not sure that chefBURGER ever intended or intends to compete directly with blanc. chefBURGER caters to the sports and beer crowds of the Power & Light District. blanc holds court in Westport, where the yuppies, hipsters, and Bohemians hang.

But, as I stated, I think that comparison and competition is inevitable. blanc is a sit-idown service restaurant. It has a bar and an impressive beer list. Their burger selection, though not as comprehensive (or inflated) as chefBURGER’s, is more focused and clean. Presentations are pretty, service is lovely and rather efficient, and blanc’s ingredients and flavors pop more. The prices are pretty comparable, with blanc averaging about $2 more per burger. And, loudness and haze aside, I like the feel of blanc more than chefBURGER, which has all the personality of a high school cafeteria. The only advantage that chefBURGER has over blanc burgers + bottles–and this is a minor one–is that it has a great website. blanc, inexplicably, only has a “My Space” page. Now THAT’S high school.

I’ve been to chefBURGER only once and blanc burgers + bottles twice. I need to visit both more to reach a more definite verdict. But, I think chefBURGER needs to pull out some pretty impressive game in order to change my mind. Judging by the crowds, I don’t think I'm alone.

To read the food portion of my review, visit the ulterior epicure.

I’m confused – did you mean “ From what I’ve seen, there’s no doubt that blanc wins by a good stretch.”?

Edited by ChefCAG (log)

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris