• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wedding Registry

johnjohn

We are getting married and need to register. Which place is the best place for kitchen supplies. We don't have much in terms of quality products.

We have thought about -

Macy's

Williams Sonoma

Sur la Table

Bed Bath and Beyond

Crate and Barrel

Pottery Barn

Any othe rsuggestions.

We are getting married and need to register.  Which place is the best place for kitchen supplies.  We don't have much in terms of quality products.

We have thought about  -

Macy's

Williams Sonoma

Sur la Table

Bed Bath and Beyond

Crate and Barrel

Pottery Barn

Any othe rsuggestions.

I'd consider all of your suggestions except for Bed, Bath & Beyond, as quite upscale. If you have friends and family with money, then they're good choices.

If your friends and family don't, then BB&B would be a good choice. I'd also put Target's wedding registry in the latter category. While these two may not offer the higher-end quality products that the others do, you can still get good kitchen equipment there.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I beg to differ on the BB&B as not having "upscale" items. They are the exclusive retailers of several designers as far as china, flatware and service ware. Give their website a once over, or go visit an "A" level store to see what I mean. My fiancée and I have registered there and have a full set of Kate Spade on our list.

They also fawn all over people who are registering, so give them a shot.

Gear nerd and hash slinger

I beg to differ on the BB&B as not having "upscale" items. They are the exclusive retailers of several designers as far as china, flatware and service ware. Give their website a once over, or go visit an "A" level store to see what I mean. My fiancée and I have registered there and have a full set of Kate Spade on our list.

They also fawn all over people who are registering, so give them a shot.

I think there's a difference between "upscale" and "designer". But then, neither upscale nor designer mean the same as "quality" (the three are not necessarily exclusive of one another, but none infers the others).

I don't know about the other places, but Williams-Sonoma will give you a discount on anything on your list that you didn't receive. They do have a range of products that could fit all budgets.

We registered at amazon.com and a couple of other places I can't even remember. I think most of the stuff we got ended up coming from Amazon. They have a lot of good stuff, including Le Creuset and All-Clad for not-bad prices.

Fortunoffs....everything I thought I could get at Macy's I actually found at Fortunoffs

Tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

It just depends.

Are your guests well-heeled urban/suburban types? If so, Crate and Barrel, Williams-Sonoma and Sur La Table should be good choices.

Are your guests starving artists? Go Target.

For upscale porcelain and stemware, Fortunoff or Macy's. And if you're near a Macy's check out Martha Stewart's new line. It rocks like a rowboat in a hurricane.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Wherever you end up registering, make sure that there's a store near you that will handle returns with no hassles. Regardless of how carefully you register and how well managed the stores' registries are, you'll get lots of duplicates of stuff, or stuff you don't want. Trust me on this one. I used to be in charge of the registry at a Sur La Table store.

Sur La Table and Williams Sonoma both have easy return procedures -- the other stores mentioned might too, but you do want to check. And check to see if you can return online or catalog purchases at a brick and mortar store. Not all stores allow that. If you register with Amazon, keep in mind that you'll be sending a lot of stuff back.

Also keep in mind where your guests live, and how they will be ordering. Although a lot of people like to order online, there are also people who prefer to go into a store.

I'm pretty sure BB&B lets you return registry gift items for cash - hence why it's a popular registry. At least that's what I recall from when I was registering last year.

Macy's also lets you do 15% everything you don't get after the wedding. They also give you something called Macy's points that supposedly translates into a Macy's gift card (um, where's my card Macy's?? I think I better call them...)

We registerd at Macy's, Crate and Barrel and a small local china shop. Crate and Barrel was by far the most popular among our guests. No one went to the local china shop - even though you could purchase online.

• 1 month later...
Thanks guys, this was a very helpful, being a British bride registering in the USofA and therefore clueless as to where to even start!

If you register at Williams sonoma, there are plenty of good quality free gifts you can earn. and about a month after the event, you get a card entitling you to a 10 % discounts on any purchase in 6 months. On anything, drinks, foods, snacks. Cool deal. check out their website. I was pleased with my registry. :smile:

Edited by s_hustava (log)

Oh, go put on your big girl panties and just DEAL with it!

BB&B worked for us, because they had our china, silverware, and glasses.

A huge chain like them was important because we had people coming from all over -- it would make it easier for them to be able to go to a store, or shop online.

Additionally, for some harder-to-find and more expensive items, we had Macy's. With everything online now, you can really have as many as you want.

I got married almost a year ago, and we registered at Bloomingdales, Amazon.com, and Barneys. (Barneys was at my mom's insistence. She got a bee in her bonnet about china.).

My parents' friends shopped almost exclusively at Bloomingdales because it had an online system they could handle, and if they got freaked out by it they could just go to the store. Almost no one went to Barneys.

Our friends shopped mostly on Amazon, and it was great because it offered such a crazy range of prices. Our starving artist friends maybe got a couple books or a cupcake pan.

And Amazon has deals with both Target and Williams Sonoma, so you can get plastic measuring cups and Le Creuset on the registry. It's a good option if you have tech-savvy friends. But older people like my parents couldn't even find the registry when I sent them a direct link to it.

My friends got married and used Williams Sonoma. As a shopper, I found it very easy to use, but that couple did not put a wide enough range of prices on the registry.

FWD

Elizabeth Licata

Will eat for food

I wish we had a Sur la Table or Crate & Barrel here in Vancouver!

We're getting married next year, and we'll be registering at Williams-Sonoma for our upper-range, and The Bay/Home Outfitters for mid & lower-range stuff.

I'd also add that it helps guests out if you register for way more than you think you'll ever need. We were invited to a wedding, oh, seven or eight years ago. By the time we finally got out to shop for the gift, nearly everything on the registry list had already been purchased by someone. There were just a couple of items left, the big-ticket ones that cost probably ten times what we'd been planning to spend. We wound up looking at the list of stuff that had already been purchased and finding something else within our price range that we thought somehow went with the rest of everything. (IIRC, they'd ordered stuff like chopsticks and plates. We wound up getting them the Asian porcelain soup spoons and some teacups or rice bowls or something like that.)

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I'd echo MelissaH's advice. We registered at a variety of places, both online and offline, over a range of prices. We've appreciated shopping for couples who took that approach since then.

11 years ago we registered at Crate and Barrel and a local kitchen store for our kitchen goods. Both registries ran smoothly, and I never had to find out about return policies. C&B's online and catalog presence was helpful for distant friends who wanted to ship. I liked supporting a local kitchen store as well, and the best thing was that a number of guests gave gift certificates to that store. Spending those over the ensuing months as we figured out what else we wanted was great fun.

We decided against Williams-Sonoma because their markup is so high: everything we found there that we wanted, we could find elsewhere (usually C&B) for considerably less. Of course they have lovely proprietary linens and china, but we didn't need those.

If I'd known about Sur La Table then, I'd have registered with them too.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown