• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need a fishmonger again in north Atlanta

Now that Tom and the Gulf Coast Seafood are gone, what is everybody doing? I need to find one soon. Here it is crawfish season and none to be had. And I miss having a convenient stop on the way home, but that is how it goes.

Now that Tom and the Gulf Coast Seafood are gone, what is everybody doing?  I need to find one soon.  Here it is crawfish season and none to be had.  And I miss having a convenient stop on the way home, but that is how it goes.

We use Halperins - they do a very nice job with lots of stuff. I got fresh mussels last week and they were nice, Salmon is always prime. Monkfish was very nice and if it comes in to them bad they don't send it out - Call and talk to Barry - he is my rep - tell him the "guy" at the Golf Club of Georgia sent you on

The mini crab cakes are good too - We make our own large ones , but the small ones they have are really nice. Price wise - a little higher - but the quality is A++

Now that Tom and the Gulf Coast Seafood are gone, what is everybody doing?  I need to find one soon.  Here it is crawfish season and none to be had.  And I miss having a convenient stop on the way home, but that is how it goes.

We use Halperins - they do a very nice job with lots of stuff. I got fresh mussels last week and they were nice, Salmon is always prime. Monkfish was very nice and if it comes in to them bad they don't send it out - Call and talk to Barry - he is my rep - tell him the "guy" at the Golf Club of Georgia sent you on

The mini crab cakes are good too - We make our own large ones , but the small ones they have are really nice. Price wise - a little higher - but the quality is A++

They look like they are restaurant sales only? No retail presence that I saw.

For convenience's sake I usually go to H-mart as it is closest. Most of it is still from small counties overseas with few regulations in place to ensure quality.

For mudbugs, I go to dekalb Farmer's Market and buy them by the sack, we then do a true louisiana boil with at least 2 sacks (70lb). Which we will be doing soon.

My wife and I are contemplating going to Jazzfest in New Orleans, if so we will stock up on shrimp there. Along with french bread to freeze, you just can't get the same quality bread at 2000ft above sea level.

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

For convenience's sake I usually go to H-mart as it is closest. Most of it is still from small counties overseas with few regulations in place to ensure quality.

For mudbugs, I go to dekalb Farmer's Market and buy them by the sack, we then do a true louisiana boil with at least 2 sacks (70lb). Which we will be doing soon.

My wife and I are contemplating going to Jazzfest in New Orleans, if so we will stock up on shrimp there. Along with french bread to freeze, you just can't get the same quality bread at 2000ft above sea level.

I just don't trust the sourcing at Hmart. We are regulars there, but not in seafood anymore.

Do you know what they are getting for a sack at DFM? And do they sell "chef's sacks" ie the small 5-10 lb ones?

I just don't trust the sourcing at Hmart. We are regulars there, but not in seafood anymore.

Do you know what they are getting for a sack at DFM? And do they sell "chef's sacks" ie the small 5-10 lb ones?

There is a place called Boudreaux's in downtown Duluth 770-814-8388. It's a restaurant with a seafood market. I have eaten luch there several times and it's pretty good.

http://www.boudreauxscajun.com/

There is a place called Boudreaux's in downtown Duluth 770-814-8388.  It's a restaurant with a seafood market.  I have eaten luch there several times and it's pretty good.

http://www.boudreauxscajun.com/

Yea, I've been there. Good and cheap are so seldomly found in the same market. Their prices are so close to Whole Foods', you might as well go there.

The food we ordered was good though. But, all that stuff I can make for myself.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)

Whole Foods wanted $4 a pound for a sack of crawdads.  :blink:

That is some crazy expensive head suckin and tail squeezin.

I called Dekalb Farmer's Market but they refused to give prices over the phone.

Last year they were selling the sack for $1 less than the bin with the tongs price (How ludicrous is picking out crawfish with a pair of tongs?) I think I remember it being under $3 a pound.

Last year in LA the price was under $1 when I was there. How many pounds do you have to buy to make it worth the gas to go get it?

Whole Foods wanted $4 a pound for a sack of crawdads.   :blink:

That is some crazy expensive head suckin and tail squeezin.

I called Dekalb Farmer's Market but they refused to give prices over the phone.

Last year they were selling the sack for $1 less than the bin with the tongs price (How ludicrous is picking out crawfish with a pair of tongs?) I think I remember it being under $3 a pound.

Last year in LA the price was under $1 when I was there. How many pounds do you have to buy to make it worth the gas to go get it?

I was working in Lafayette one time and it was time to go home. The guy that was with me split a sack with me (I think we paid all of $20) and we divided via the hotel bathtub into coolers. We then checked our coolers as luggage, flew home and were eating by evening. The cabbie did not believe me and screamed when I opened the cooler.

• 2 months later...

Crawfish boil this staurday for the Belmont Stakes. Fortunately its my friends party and he'll be buying the bugs. DKFM gets them in on mondays. They's always been alive when we bought them on staurday. I'll let you know what the $/lb was. I expect two 30-35# sacks to be about $70-80 total.

Crawfish boil this staurday for the Belmont Stakes. Fortunately its my friends party and he'll be buying the bugs. DKFM gets them in on mondays. They's always been alive when we bought them on staurday. I'll let you know what the $/lb was. I expect two 30-35# sacks to be about $70-80 total.

Let me know.

Let me know.

They were out when we got there, ut if there were any left they would have cost;

$2.99/lb if you pick them out wuth tongs (LOL)

$1.75/lb if you buy them buy the sack.

Prices vary by shipment.

My friend from NOLA who hosted the boil knows hot you can get them flown in and you go pick them up at the airport for $3.00/lb

My other friend who is also from NOLA went to Boudreaux's and got them pre-cooked for $3.99/lb and they were teeny tiny. Not a good season I guess.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)