• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Malaysian Banana Cake

I love Malaysian banana cakes- it's fluffy, moist and incredibly flavourful. I understand pisang emas is used. I'm not sure what kind of banana is sold here but it's definitely not pisang emas. The bananas here are larger with rather thick skins.

I'll go to the Asian shop this weekend to see if I can get pisang emas. Does anyone have an amazing recipe? My idea of a perfect banana cake does not contain chocolate chips or anything else..just banana! It doesn't have a thick crust, moist , fluffy and the crumb is very fine... This stall in SS2's pasar malam (Mondays) used to sell them and I miss it very much...

yunnermeier - I would suggest you buy the bananas, let them age on the kitchen counter and then when they're dark brown, put them in the fridge for 1 day. The next day defrost and peel and use in your recipe. To get the banana bread really moist, try doubling the amount of bananas in your recipe and if you can get banana milk, use that instead of regular milk.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Thanks.

I was looking for a Malaysian Banana cake recipe not kueh ^_^

In the end, I use a recipe from my mother's recipe book and whilst it yielded a very nice rustic banana cake, it's not THE banana cake I wanted. I think I may have been mistaken because I would think there is no way a cake with fruits can be as fluffy as the one I love . The cake I like could possibly not be banana cake at all but a pound cake flavoured with banana essence? Either that or I should've mashed my banana even more finely!

I'm going to try the pound cake with banana essence next.

If you're interested, here's the banana cake recipe I used. It's moist and goes great with cream cheese frosting.

Ma's Banana Cake

8oz butter

8oz sugar

10.5oz self-rising flour sifted with 3/4 tsps of baking soda (I used baking powder and it rised fine)

5 eggs

1.3 cup mashed ripe bananas (this should be about 3-4 large bananas)

4tbs orange juice

i) Cream butter and sugar until light. Add egg yolks one at a time and continue beating.

ii) Add the mashed bananas and beat well.

iii) Fold in the egg whites which have been beaten to a stiff froth.(good luck doing this if you are making the cake without the aid of a mixer . my hand's aching like crazy)

iv) Fold in flour and add orange juice.

v) Bake in greased pan for about an hour at 150 degrees celscious ( mine took almost 1.5 hours to bake but this could be because of the oven I used).

This is what happens when you slice it with a blunt butter knife...

gallery_21328_3810_464991.jpg

Edited by yunnermeier (log)

Maybe this should be in the Pastry forum, but I think if you melted the butter with the sugar, and mix the egg yolks and mashed bananas into the butter sugar mixture, before folding it into the egg whites, it might work?

Not sure how well mashed bananas mix with melted butter, though I make a fairly cake-like brownie this way.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Here is a recipe I use from the King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion

It is in my own words. Also I add a lot more cinnamon than the original recipe.

BANANA BREAD

2 large eggs

7 ounces. Sugar granulated

2 ¼ oz (1/3 cup) vegetable oil

7-9 ounces mashed bananas

2 tsp. Vanilla Extract

1 tsp Baking Soda

1 tsp Baking Powder

1 tsp. salt

2 tsp Cinnamon ( I use ½ Saigon and Ceylon cinnamon original called for 1 tsp.)

½ tsp. nutmeg

11 3/8 ounces A.P. Flour

8 oz. buttermilk (yogurt, or sourcream)

4 ounces walnuts chopped

Preheat the oven to 350F

Grease and lay parchment in a 9X5 loaf pan

Beat eggs, and oil until you get some volume and then beat in the sugar. Add in the bananas and vanilla.

Take a tsp. of the flour and coat the walnuts.

Sift the flour, spices, salt, baking soda, baking powder, soda together. Make sure they are mixed together thoroughly. Add all of the dry ingredients to the egg mixture. Mix everything quickly but thoroughly, mix in the buttermilk, and nuts.

Place batter in the loaf pan, and bake for 1 hour if it looks like it is browning too quickly tent with foil.

Cool on a cooling rack for ten to 15 minutes in the tin then pull cake out and finish cooling before cutting.

I wrote that I loved the texture of the bread, and Dh said it was between cakey and dense. I hope this works for you or at least a jumping off point. I think I also reduced the sugar but not by much but I forgot to write that down. :sad:

Good luck! Report back if you can.

• 4 months later...
Thanks.

I was looking for a Malaysian Banana cake recipe not kueh ^_^

In the end, I use a recipe from my mother's recipe book and whilst it yielded a very nice rustic banana cake, it's not THE banana cake I wanted. I think I may have been mistaken because I would think there is no way a cake with fruits can be as fluffy as the one I love . The cake I like could possibly not be banana cake at all but a pound cake flavoured with banana essence? Either that or I should've mashed my banana even more finely!

I'm going to try the pound cake with banana essence next.

If you're interested, here's the banana cake recipe I used. It's moist and goes great with cream cheese frosting.

Ma's Banana Cake

8oz butter

8oz sugar

10.5oz self-rising flour sifted with 3/4 tsps of baking soda (I used baking powder and it rised fine)

5 eggs

1.3 cup mashed ripe bananas (this should be about 3-4 large bananas)

4tbs orange juice

i) Cream butter and sugar until light. Add egg yolks one at a time and continue beating.

ii) Add the mashed bananas and beat well.

iii) Fold in the egg whites which have been beaten to a stiff froth.(good luck doing this if you are making the cake without the aid of a mixer . my hand's aching like crazy)

iv) Fold in flour and add orange juice.

v) Bake in greased pan for about an hour at 150 degrees celscious  ( mine took almost 1.5 hours to bake but this could be because of the oven I used).

This is what happens when you slice it with a blunt butter knife...

gallery_21328_3810_464991.jpg

This looks like a nice recipe and the picture is good too :smile:

I can't wait to try this one at home .

Thanks for sharing .

Easy Recipes - A place to find and share cooking recipes that are easy to make.

Buy Kitchen Blenders : Online shop to order kitchen blenders for home & commercial use - All brands listed - Some items ship within 24 hrs