• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tony Bourdain, brought to you by Michelob

PDC

Looks like you know...not much.

I receive exactly zero compensation--from Bravo, from Michelob, from anyone--not one dollar, not "any thing of value" --for blogging Top Chef. I'm a fanboy and occasional participant on the show (certainly not for the money--cause they pay shit). I like the show. I like watching the show. I like hanging out with Tom and Ted and assorted chef cronies and tasting food.And I enjoy dishing about the show on line . Period.

And I don't drink Michelob. Cause it tastes like crap. You can quote me.

Aww shit. Look what you did. You made me post here.

abourdain

But don't they have artisanal Michelob now? :rolleyes: Really. They got real, live commercials and ever-thang! :laugh:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

I receive exactly zero compensation--from Bravo, from Michelob, from anyone--not one dollar, not "any thing of value" --for blogging Top Chef. I'm a fanboy and occasional participant on the show (certainly not for the money--cause they pay shit). I like the show. I like watching the show. I like hanging out with Tom and Ted and assorted chef cronies and tasting food.And I enjoy dishing about the show on line . Period.

Hey Tony! So what is the beer of choice for a Top Chef judge? Could have been worse; Natty Light comes to mind.

But don't they have artisanal Michelob now? :rolleyes: Really. They got real, live commercials and ever-thang! :laugh:

Some of those are fantastic beers. I had an oak aged vanillar porter that came in at about 9% alcohol at Christmas. First class beer. In a funky howitzer shell shaped bottle.

Begin suck-up statement.

Not always thrilled with Bourdain, but I can't see the dude selling out. He'd be flayed alive by his fan base and while he does not pander, he does seem to respect it.

Some folks don't strike me as, "sell out types." Anthony Bourdain and Alton Brown as well as Tom Colicchio don't seem to be those types. Which is why I'm willing to watch them and not some other chefs. Who shall remain namelss, but I bet we could all name them without much thought.

End suck-up statement.

I calls em as I sees em.

Blog.liedel.org

Begin suck-up statement.

Not always thrilled with Bourdain, but I can't see the dude selling out. He'd be flayed alive by his fan base and while he does not pander, he does seem to respect it.

Some folks don't strike me as, "sell out types." Anthony Bourdain and Alton Brown as well as Tom Colicchio don't seem to be those types. Which is why I'm willing to watch them and not some other chefs. Who shall remain namelss, but I bet we could all name them without much thought.

End suck-up statement.

I calls em as I sees em.

"Flayed alive"? I doubt it. I think any endorsement would be greeted with all sorts of "well after all those years in the industry, he deserves to get paid". People tend to forgive the perceived sins of those they liked or admired to begin with.

Me, I don't think there's a sin in selling out at all vis-a-vis the media business. Without advertising, television, radio and periodical print media would by and large cease to exist. That includes PBS...what you don't think the five minutes of "thanks for underwriting us" spots at the end of every cooking show aren't just commercials?

"Flayed alive"?  I doubt it.  I think any endorsement would be greeted with all sorts of "well after all those years in the industry, he deserves to get paid".  People tend to forgive the perceived sins of those they liked or admired to begin with.

Me, I don't think there's a sin in selling out at all vis-a-vis the media business.  Without advertising, television, radio and periodical print media would by and large cease to exist.  That includes PBS...what you don't think the five minutes of "thanks for underwriting us" spots at the end of every cooking show aren't just commercials?

I do sort of see your point, but I also think that the average Bourdain fan likes him because he's not a sell out. He's straight talking, even if you don't agree with him.

On the other hand, I'm a published author (pen name and no, I'm not going to share) and you would be surprised how little a writer makes, so I can see giving some leeway to a writer who is trying to make the rent. Even with a best seller, we're not talking retirement here. I see Bourdain as a writer first (Chef, of course, but a writer gets a lot of respect in my book). Television celebrity second.

I'd still be pissed if he started doing ads for Michelob. Shudder.

Blog.liedel.org

Some of those are fantastic beers. I had an oak aged vanillar porter that came in at about 9% alcohol at Christmas. First class beer. In a funky howitzer shell shaped bottle.

Thanks for the tip Doodad. I really like beer, but always detested Michelob. I'll definitely give it a chance only because of your personal recommendation. It's just the fact of hearing the words "Michelob" and "artisanal" used in the same sentence in the commercial was more than a little disorienting for me. :rolleyes:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Thanks for the tip Doodad. I really like beer, but always detested Michelob. I'll definitely give it a chance only because of your personal recommendation. It's just the fact of hearing the words "Michelob" and "artisanal" used in the same sentence in the commercial was more than a little disorienting for me. :rolleyes:

It is only the really small batch ones that are good. Not the honey porter and such that come in a variety pack. The ones I saw were all large, specialty container beers. I had never seen them before.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much, although, really, who cares? Go make money. The only reason everyone doesn't sell out, is because they can't find someone to sell out TO! How about appearing at the Food Network/Amstel Light SoBe Wine and Food Fest-if they're paying you to write, or to show up, you don't always get to pick the sponsors-I understand. Free week in Miami, all expenses paid, maybe you say some stuff for a half-hour and get adored over. Nobody does any of this for the money, because there isn't any, right? Or maybe they just don't want you to think that they're doing it for the money. I think that's quaint. Or maybe something else. And to respond to the 'writer': AB has a hit TV show. I'm sure there's no money in that, either. It's all about the love. Or maybe you should call your agent, dude. Edited by Miami Danny (log)

And to respond to the 'writer': AB has a hit TV show.  I'm sure there's no money in that, either.  It's all about the love.  Or maybe you should call your agent, dude.

Except that it's not a agent's job to handle publicity. That's a publicist. Different breed altogether.

Last time I checked, Tony Bourdain had a hit show too.

Blog.liedel.org

And to respond to the 'writer': AB has a hit TV show.  I'm sure there's no money in that, either.  It's all about the love.  Or maybe you should call your agent, dude.

Except that it's not a agent's job to handle publicity. That's a publicist. Different breed altogether.

I specifically posted that AB has a hit TV show. From which he earns probably a pretty decent living. But if not, he should probably call his agent. :wink: [sarcasm] I'm sure he's doing quite well, was my point.

And last time I checked, agents handled the money. We're talking about money here, not publicity, no disrespect intended (toward anyone, or toward money, either).And it appears Mr. Bourdain is well-equipped to defend himself, no?

Some folks don't strike me as, "sell out types." Anthony Bourdain and Alton Brown as well as Tom Colicchio don't seem to be those types.

Explain this then...... :huh:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.... nailed.

Of course I'd hold up a bottle of piss too if you paid me enough. Hell, if you paid me even.

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

Of course I'd hold up a bottle of piss too if you paid me enough. Hell, if you paid me even.

Alton Brown once said that he did not endorse products he didn't actually use.

I would assume this means he actually drinks that stuff.

Alton Brown once said that he did not endorse products he didn't actually use.

I would assume this means he actually drinks that stuff.

Yep, that's how I took that too. He's been pretty careful about using what he says he likes and not holding the bottle up for the camera.

Blog.liedel.org

Some folks don't strike me as, "sell out types." Anthony Bourdain and Alton Brown as well as Tom Colicchio don't seem to be those types.

Explain this then...... :huh:

Too funny!

I'd draw the line at piss. But I can't imagine a beer I wouldn't put on a big happy face for. And I wouldn't have a problem with Bourdain doing the same. My motto for beer: "It's all good."

My blog: Rah Cha Chow

I specifically posted that AB has a hit TV show.

<aside>I believe around here, AB=Alton Brown and TB=Tony Bourdain. Hence the confusion.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I specifically posted that AB has a hit TV show.

<aside>I believe around here, AB=Alton Brown and TB=Tony Bourdain. Hence the confusion.

The topic's about Bourdain, but I see the confusion. Both he and Alton Brown are pitchmen, and both have fans who claim them to be pure. Anyone who believes that celebrities only endorse products they use and/or like, is likely unfamiliar with the way the advertising business works. Edited by Miami Danny (log)