• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Another Possibly Dumb Cooking Question...

fyfas

Frank Bruni, restaurant critic of the New York Times, today continues his piece on the Top Ten New Restaurants in America.

Discussing #6 - Fraiche in Culver City California - he speaks of a monkfish dish where the meat is sliced into thin medallions "which are floured, dipped in egg and sauteed in olive oil and white wine."

So here's the first question... I don't believe I've ever heard of sauteeing in olive oil and wine. If I'm showing my ignorance, apologies. I've made many pan sauces after sauteeing where adding wine is part of the deal.

Bruni goes on to extol the "character" that the monkfish had and that it had "the faintest suggestion of a crust".

Other questions that come to mind have to do with the importance (or lack thereof) of variety of wine used and how much wine to use in relation to the amount of oil.

As always, all comments are appreciated; I'm assuming you're all more out of the genius mold than I am. :wacko:

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

Sounds like just a slopping way of saying, "Saute in olive oil and deglaze in white wine."

Thanks. I like that. A bit of "sloppy" journalism.

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher