• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where and how do you store your rice?

sygyzy

I like rice and I have lots of it. Varieties I mean, not quantity. Usually just small bags that hold 2-3 cups. Anyway, rather than have random clipped bags strewn about my cupboard, I think it'd be cool to have some sort of clear plastic container that had multiple compartments to store the rice. It would be easy for me to distinguish among them so I can choose what I want to use for a particular meal.

I don't have much room in my apartment but I'd still like to hear some ideas.

Thanks.

I have a bunch of those small clear plastic containers with the lids that lock on (I have a strong tendency to drop things, and an exploded rice container is no fun to clean up after!). I either put stickers on them with the variety, or clip the label off the bag and put it in the container.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Mason jars, sharpie on the lid for a label. Do the same for barley. I live in high humidity, and they actually seem to stay drier in the Mason type jars - not to mention keeping the pests either out or contained. Stackable as well, and reusable. I have an aversion to plastic. Can't drink out of it, hate to store in it.

You can pick them up this time of year at places like "Big Lots" for next to nothing.

I have a bunch of those small clear plastic containers with the lids that lock on (I have a strong tendency to drop things, and an exploded rice container is no fun to clean up after!). I either put stickers on them with the variety, or clip the label off the bag and put it in the container.

ditto, except it's a big clear plastic container that can hold 50 lbs of rice.

ditto, except it's a big clear plastic container that can hold 50 lbs of rice.

So you have one type of rice and alot of it? I am not looking for large grain or flour storage solutions. I like some of the other ideas here and will check them out. Mason Jars might work. I don't have a Container Store or Big Lots in town so I'll have to wait til my next trip to LA.

I keep mine in the freezer all together in the original wrapper in a large plastic container. Some rices went rancid faster than others when I kept them in the pantry, so now they all go in the freezer.

So you have one type of rice and alot of it? I am not looking for large grain or flour storage solutions. I like some of the other ideas here and will check them out. Mason Jars might work. I don't have a Container Store or Big Lots in town so I'll have to wait til my next trip to LA.

I didn't get mine anyplace special: even my local grocery store carries a small selection. I have both large and small varieties, both of which work equally well, and they all stack together neatly and are rectangular, maximizing storage space.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I use big (4 / 8 / etc quart) plastic tubs with locking lids- food safe air tight, relatively cheap and readily available at Smart & Final and/or a restaurant supply stores.

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

Have you considered something Like This?

or this.

or this one.

I have a large rice dispenser that drops a cup each time the lever is pushed. I think it holds 25 pounds and I keep regular long grain rice in it. Other types in smaller amounts are stored in Cambro round containers and as mentioned in an earlier post, some are stored in the freezer along with other whole grains, farro, kamut, amaranth, wheat berries, etc., as they tend to turn rancid. On the other hand hulled millet seems to keep practically forever and I use a lot of that also.

I buy the Cambro translucent containers at Smart & Final. They are cheap, can go from freezer to microwave and last forever - at least I haven't been able to seriously harm one.

Get the translucent ones, which are flexible, not the clear. The lids on these fit tighter.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Rice are like flours. You have to store it in a tightly covered containers. Clear plastic containers will do, but sometimes small bugs can still get into it, that is why we have to wash the rice twice (at least in my culture...)

If you are going to store rice or flour in an ordinary the pantry (or outside the fridge) make sure you also have a open cupful of apple cider vinegar with a drop of dishwashing liquid in the same cabinet (or pantry) where you store your rice or flour. This is one way of keeping those flying bugs away from your pantry, away from your flour or rice. Make sure you also change that mixture once or twice a week.

Just my two cents.

Life is short: Break the rules...Forgive quickly...Kiss slowly...Love truly...Laugh uncontrollably...And never regret anything that made you smile. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance...

I just store the rice with a few bay leaves (dried) in the container, same with other grains, flours, meals, etc.

For some reason, pantry moths and weevils don't seem to care for sweet laurel.........

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett