• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner in London ideas..

I'm looking for some ideas for dinner in london on sat 22nd. Budget no issue but obviously it's a bit short notice to get a table at some places (i tried to book petrus over 2 months ago for this weekend and could only get on the waiting list!).

I've tried Maze - somewhere i've always wanted to try - but they were completely booked. I'm going to The Square in April so there's not much point going there. I went to Arbutus in January as well. I can get a table at Foliage but i've heard mixed reviews?

Any ideas would be most welcome!

I would definitely take Foliage - I've never had a bad meal there - Chris Staines is a really excellent and rather innovative chef who takes real pride in his work and comines flavours and textures extremly well.

Failing that I would consiider Pied a Terre or maybe the Greenhouse?

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

how about Bacchus? not everybody's cup of tea, but at least I've never had a boring meal there... perhaps not high enough budget?

some further less-risky options but hard to say which will be booked up -- Ledbury or Capital may not be, Hibiscus will be booked I expect, Galvin at Windows, Atelier Joel Robuchon (same?), tom aikens, locanda locatelli, texture... let your fingers do the walking :smile:

Foliage has the best wine rack though. (rack, that is, not list...) and PaT and Greenhouse are great suggestions.

Edited by adt (log)

Ian

I go to bakeries, all day long.

There's a lack of sweetness in my life...

Definatly foliage, faultless meal last month, in fact every time i have been it has been if you cannot get in for dinner go for lunch

£29 menu and tastin 55 instead of 70 i think

then you could go some where else for dinner, bourdeau, nice rustic french

The green house had a good review in metro today

how about Bacchus? not everybody's cup of tea, but at least I've never had a boring meal there... perhaps not high enough budget?

some further less-risky options but hard to say which will be booked up -- Ledbury or Capital may not be, Hibiscus will be booked I expect, Galvin at Windows, Atelier Joel Robuchon (same?), tom aikens, locanda locatelli, texture... let your fingers do the walking  :smile:

Foliage has the best wine rack though. (rack, that is, not list...) and PaT and Greenhouse are great suggestions.

I'd like to try Bacchus but it's a bit of a trek isn't it? I think i'll stick with Foliage, you all seem to have a lot of good things to say about it :)

I'd like to try Bacchus but it's a bit of a trek isn't it?  I think i'll stick with Foliage, you all seem to have a lot of good things to say about it :)

10 minute brisk walk from Old Street tube iirc. worth trying some time, can be hit and miss but v. interesting and bit of a bargain.

recommend the thyme and milk chocolate combination at foliage if they're still doing it.

The green house had a good review in metro today
young Italian sommelier Jacopo Focacci ... treated us to a preview of something very special: a computerised wine list, its clunky technology hidden in smooth, discreet leather casing. The Greenhouse has already won several international wine awards and this mesmerising gadget, only the second in the world (the other is in Vegas), tips it up a notch. It's the ultimate wine-geek toy

sounds a bit intimidating! going there soon, wonder if this will be in operation...?

Ian

I go to bakeries, all day long.

There's a lack of sweetness in my life...

I'd like to try Bacchus but it's a bit of a trek isn't it?  I think i'll stick with Foliage, you all seem to have a lot of good things to say about it :)

Which Baccus are we talking about?

Edited by TheSwede (log)