• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do they eat in la Sarthe?

Abra

I'm having a lunch guest who's originally from la Sarthe, Le Mans more specifically. Google isn't turning up much at all inthe way of typical regional dishes that I could surprise her with. Can anyone help?

How does this tarte aux rillettes look? I'm afraid that due to being in Lyon until just a few hours before this lunch I won't be able to make the rillettes myself. This would seem like one way to make the best of a commercial rillette product, assuming that I can find some here. If not, I'll schlep them on the train from Lyon.

How does this tarte aux rillettes look?  I'm afraid that due to being in Lyon until just a few hours before this lunch I won't be able to make the rillettes myself.  This would seem like one way to make the best of a commercial rillette product, assuming that I can find some here.  If not, I'll schlep them on the train from Lyon.

The tarte aux rillettes sounds... very weird. It is, in fact, a quiche with rillettes added. I'm not sure I like the idea. Might be better than it sounds though.

The "trompe-goule" that you find as you scroll down the page looks to me like a better option. It is a real traditional dish and it looks yummy.

gallery_16307_215_46261.jpg

I did end up making the tarte aux rillettes, using rillettes du Mans from the deli, and it's actually very good. Our Sarthoise guest said that eating warm rillettes was unusual enough to transport her instantly back to her childhood where she and the other kids stood around a huge pot over an open outdoor fire helping her grandmother stir a giant pot of rillettes, an all-day project. The kids were rewarded with bites of steaming pork, and thus the tarte made her feel like a good helpful kid all over again. For that reason alone I'd say that it was a success, but it's worth making even if you grew up in town. And it's very easy to prepare, so if you like rillettes you might want to give it a try.

gallery_16307_215_46261.jpg

I did end up making the tarte aux rillettes, using rillettes du Mans from the deli, and it's actually very good.  Our Sarthoise guest said that eating warm rillettes was unusual enough to transport her instantly back to her childhood where she and the other kids stood around a huge pot over an open outdoor fire helping her grandmother stir a giant pot of rillettes, an all-day project.  The kids were rewarded with bites of steaming pork, and thus the tarte made her feel like a good helpful kid all over again.  For that reason alone I'd say that it was a success, but it's worth making even if you grew up in town.  And it's very easy to prepare, so if you like rillettes you might want to give it a try.

I think that's one of the highest compliments that a cook can hope to receive - to transport your guest to another place and another time full of good memories.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”