• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

bacon as craft material

baroness

Very interesting! Thanks for posting this.

I'm thinking that the weaving, though, on the baskets is just an aesthetic thing and not really necessary for the final piece. Won't the bacon keep it's shape when it cooks and all stay together anyway without the weaving?

Perhaps this needs further testing... :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I was thinking that you could wrap the bacon around a cannoli mold bake it then stuff it with something like scrambled eggs w/mushrooms and onion.

There is a post somewhere here on eGullet where someone suggested wrapping chicken skin around a cannoli mold and frying it crisp, then filling it with mashed potatoes.

Bacon could be just as good. :wub:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Thank you for the links. Now my next party will have a conversational piece to focus on...hope what I put in it will taste good too, so I can have a double whammy.. :raz:

Cheers,

austramerica

Life is short: Break the rules...Forgive quickly...Kiss slowly...Love truly...Laugh uncontrollably...And never regret anything that made you smile. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance...

For the baconophiles:

bacon baskets

and

bacon placemats!

I have done similar things with noodles and potato, as I am sure many are familiar with here. Tried grits and that was not as kind.

That basket needs to be filled with garlic cheese grits and topped with a fried egg lid. It's whats for breakfast.

can you please point me to your thread or do you still have the instructions? I am just a newbie here so I really had not seen that thread yet...and may not if you did not mention it here...

Thanks....austramerica

Life is short: Break the rules...Forgive quickly...Kiss slowly...Love truly...Laugh uncontrollably...And never regret anything that made you smile. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance...

For the baconophiles:

bacon baskets

and

bacon placemats!

I have done similar things with noodles and potato, as I am sure many are familiar with here. Tried grits and that was not as kind.

That basket needs to be filled with garlic cheese grits and topped with a fried egg lid. It's whats for breakfast.

For a noodle basket? Same idea. Take a remkin, grease it, turn upside down on a cookie sheet, cover in cooked noodles and bake till set. Same for potato slices. Or fry if have the equipment. I have a tortilla folder that is fun to use as well since you can press the noodle or potatoes into a taco shell shape.

can you please point me to your thread or do you still have the instructions? I am just a newbie here so I really had not seen that thread yet...and may not if you did not mention it here...

Thanks....austramerica

There is a post somewhere here on eGullet where someone suggested wrapping chicken skin around a cannoli mold and frying it crisp, then filling it with mashed potatoes.

Bacon could be just as good. :wub:

I like crispy chicken skin even more than bacon, the thigh skin is the best. How about wrapping a piece of chicken skin around a piece of boudin then frying it till it's crispy. I really need a drool emoticon here.

Edited: To make that Zumo's smoked boudin.

Edited by JimH (log)