• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Morcilla (blood sausage) substitute?

TAPrice

I'm in the mood for Spanish food, and a surprising large number of recipes in Penelope Casas' early book call for blood sausage. Not a lot of morcilla. And it's usually optional. But I want to make the dish right!

Is there anything I can use to substitute (I could get blood from the Asian market, but it's not cooked)? Anything else that would get close?

Are there any sources for morcilla in the U.S.?

And if I found a supply of morcilla, is this something that I could freeze?

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Black pudding, boudin noir (sp?) could be substitutes, but I don`t know if you can get them over in the USA ??

As for freezing, black pud freezes very well !

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

Black pudding, boudin noir (sp?) could be substitutes, but I don`t know if you can get them over in the USA ??

As for freezing, black pud freezes very well !

All things that are hard to find in the U.S.

I don't suppose any other sausage would provide the same flavor as blood sausage? Or even a distant approximation?

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

If you have a good Eastern European butcher or deli around, you could try kishka, it's the Polish version of boudin noir. Not sure how it stacks up, but it's a soft fine textured sausage that's good fried, and is almost jet black.

I'm in the mood for Spanish food, and a surprising large number of recipes in Penelope Casas' early book call for blood sausage. Not a lot of morcilla. And it's usually optional. But I want to make the dish right!

Is there anything I can use to substitute (I could get blood from the Asian market, but it's not cooked)? Anything else that would get close?

Are there any sources for morcilla in the U.S.?

And if I found a supply of morcilla, is this something that I could freeze?

tienda.com has morcilla. I think it's on sale right now.