• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lots of file'

Well...I ordered some file'...but I ordered rather more than I'm likely to use up on gumbo in the next few months!

What other foods benefit from the texture and taste of sassafras?

I'd like to know, too. The only place I can find file' around here is at Cash 'N Carry, and it's in a BIG jar. I've never made gumbo, and I'd like to try, but then what do I do with all the rest of the file'?

Your question got me thinking and I think I will try file in my next batch of red beans and rice. I often also do white beans and rice, both with sausage. I think the herbal qualities of file might go nicely with the mild taste of the beans.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

Oh gosh, any sort of stew, bean soup, I've even tossed it into some braises. Pork loves it, but it works with beef as well. Then of course, Chicken. Chicken Pot Pie to be exact. It thickens, but adds sort of an astringent component, that can actually lighten and brighten things a bit.

Just remember to use it as a finish.

I make a lot of gumbo and never used file' powder. The only time I saw it in the store -- extremely hard to find around here -- it came in a huge jar which I would never have used up. This thread verifies that. ;)

For gumbo, I just use Okra. Most gumbo recipes only call for file' it if you are not using Okra, and I like the texture okra gives to gumbo.

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

• 1 month later...

That's a good one! It would probably thicken a Chicken Fricassee up nicely, or any braised dish for that matter, especially game.

I make my own File, harvesting leaves from some Sassafras trees I found in my neck of the woods here in Michigan. Here is my post on the Subject of Homemade File Powder:

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2006/07/03/homemade-file-powder/

Also here is a link to a few recipes all using File, from Uncle Bill's File:

http://www.unclebillspices.com/recipes.htm

Well...I ordered some file'...but I ordered rather more than I'm likely to use up on gumbo in the next few months!

What other foods benefit from the texture and taste of sassafras?