• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ingredients in, and Using Commercially Prepared Fondant

chefpeon

So my boss, who is like in this weird boss-like frenzy right now, asked me if I use any ingredient that has trans-fats. At first I said no, but then upon further inspection, I looked at my bucket of Pettinice rolled fondant, and I'll be damned, there's partially hydrogenated oil in it. Argh!

Does anyone know if Pettinice is reformulating their fondants so there is no trans-fats in it?

And does anyone know if there's a commercially made fondant that does not have trans-fats?

I really don't want to use anything other than Pettinice, because I like the way it handles. But this whole trans-fat thing may make me change brands.

Info appreciated!

i don't know the ingredients, but have used different brands (carma is one of them) of 'masa ticino' (rolling fondant) with ease and success...

i tried to look up the ingredients (didn't look too hard) but was unsuccessful. you might try calling a purveyor to find out.

I just checked my Albert Uster buckets, and all of them have hydrogenated veg oil so don't bother going there. Most commercially made fondants are going to have this in it; when Crisco changed their formula, the homemade fondants didn't work well and people started to switch to Spectrum shortening (I think that's the brand...)

If you call Bakels and tell them, they'll definitely respond. Especially if they hear from enough of us. Maybe they don't even realize that this "trans fat free" thing will affect them. And there's no way people will pay for fondant designs and HAVE to peel off the fondant. If you don't like it, that's one thing. But having to remove it because you're not allowed to eat it is another!! :raz:

Edited by JeanneCake (log)

You're right!

I get Liberty Group's Virgin Ice rolled fondant from the Bulk Barn, a Canadian bulk food retailer. A four pound tub is $15.

Here is the list of ingredients: icing sugar, glucose, water, vegetable shortening, glycerin, gelatine, gum tragacanth, CMC and titanium dioxide.

The shortening contains trans fat. Glycerin is a common food protein, tragacanth is a natural gum, CMC is a safe thickener/stabilizer and the titanium is for color. Gelatine is a spelling mistake - the second "e" belongs on the French side of the package.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

who actually eats fondant anyway? isn't it just there like a wrapper to be peeled off the cake?

I don't think it's so bad really. Just tastes like a chewy marshmallow to me.

Actually, once the cake is sliced, you hardly have to take the effort to peel it off.....it just sort

of falls off by itself anyway. :raz:

That doesn't necessarily mean trans fats. What you need to look out for is partially hydrogenated oils.

Wha? I thought hydrogenation, whether partial or complete meant "trans fats". Also, as I recall, every time I see the word "hydrogenated" the word "partially" usually comes before it. I can't remember seeing just "hydrogenated" by itself. But then, my memory isn't 100% reliable either. :wacko:

Wha? I thought hydrogenation, whether partial or complete meant "trans fats". Also, as I recall, every time I see the word "hydrogenated" the word "partially" usually comes before it. I can't remember seeing just "hydrogenated" by itself. But then, my memory isn't 100% reliable either. :wacko:

From about.com (no sources cited, but I've read this elsewhere. maybe a real chemist can comment ...)

"Hydrogenation is the chemical process by which liquid vegetable oil is turned into solid fat. Partially hydrogenated oils contain trans fatty acids, or trans fats, which are thought to be more harmful than saturated fats.

When liquid vegetable oil is fully hydrogenated, however, almost no trans fats remain. The resulting fat is even more solid, taking on a hard, waxy consistency, even at room temperature. Full hydrogenation increases the amount of saturated fat, although much of it is in the form of stearic acid, which is converted by the body to oleic acid, a monounsaturated fat, which doesn't raise levels of bad cholesterol. This makes fully hydrogenated fats less harmful than partially hydrogenated fats.

Crisco's trans-fat free shortening contains fully hydrogenated cottonseed oil, which is blended with sunflower oil and soybean oil to soften what would otherwise be a too-hard fat. To be clear: just because it is trans-fat-free doesn't make it low fat. One tablespoon of trans-fat free shortening contains 110 calories, 12g of fat, 3g of which is saturated. It is cholesterol free, however.

Beware: if a package simply lists "hydrogenated oil," without expressly stating whether it is partially or fully hydrogenated, it may not be trans-fat free. Sometimes the terms "hydrogenated" and "partially hydrogenated" are used interchangeably. If the package clearly states that it contains fully hydrogenated oil, then it will be trans-fat free. Since stricter labeling laws came into effect, trans fats are more transparent than they used to be, and many food manufacturers continue to look for healthier alternatives for their products."

Notes from the underbelly

Wow! Thanks for the info and clarification on that. I wondered how Crisco was able to switch their formula to a non-transfat shortening......now I know. I wonder if labeling laws will be stricter from now on and require companies to designate fully hydrogenated from partial......

• 1 year later...

I've been playing with fondant filled confections lately; using my grandmother (in laws) formula for Fondant. For the heck of it, I bought a small supply of Amerfond from my local bakery supply house and have been playing with that as well. The ease of the Amerfond is amazing, and I haven't been able to tell much difference between that product and the product I make from scratch. Has anyone else ever used the "prepared" based fondant? Any comments? Does anyone make fondant based confections anymore or are they an item that belongs to the past?

I haven't tried the Amerfond. I made my fondant and added butter and other flavoring to make soft centers to dip. It's tricky making the fondant as you can't overcook it otherwise when it sets it can be hard as a rock. But since you used prepared fondant that may be something I may want to try. do you use it as a soft center for chocolates? and did you add any flavoring like freeze dried fruit powders?

Rena

The only thing I've used it for so far is for chocolate covered cherries, and with the inclusion of some of the cherry juice and invertase they have become all liquid centers, which I'm happy about. I was thinking of playing with some different centers this weekend, but thought I would reach out here to see if anyone has experienced the commercially prepared vs. fresh -

I almost exclusively use the soft white fondant from Qzina. Can't be bothered to make it from scratch unless I have a specific project - and often then I will make a 'bob' syrup - i.e. cook the sugar, liquid and glucose to the required temperature, then when it cools to about 60C, drop in some premade fondant to act as seed.

Kerry

I have several books that refer to a "bob" - however, either I'm just dense, or stupid, I can't figure out which, I'm unable to grasp a simple definiation of a 'bob'. Can you shed some light? Are they all comprised of the ingredients you list above? Are they used as anti-graining agents?

Kerry

I have several books that refer to a "bob" - however, either I'm just dense, or stupid, I can't figure out which, I'm unable to grasp a simple definiation of a 'bob'. Can you shed some light? Are they all comprised of the ingredients you list above? Are they used as anti-graining agents?

Basically a bob syrup is just the fondant ingredients boiled to the appropropriate temperature. You could cool and beat them, or if you just add existing fondant as seed - you get the same result either way - crystallized sugar.

With commercial fondant being so cheap vs the time and effort to make my own, I've been using the commercial stuff. I get mine from AUI in large buckets. It lasts pretty near forever.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"