• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wheat prices........

chefpeon

I can't get my head around the fuel prices argument....fuel is cheap cheap cheap in the US and Oz and that's where a shedload of wheat is grown.....we are paying £1.05/litre over here.............and are thinking about growing wheat on our farm.....

I buy beef and pork from a self sustaining farm in Ontario. Out of 900 acres, they are setting aside 20 to grow Canola, to supply oil for their diesel powered equipment. It is a good choice, as the oil would not be as good as Canola from the western provinces (food grade) and the by-products include a protein mash for the animals, and compost. Plus, a certain freedom from oil prices.

A story about the rising global demand for wheat, and accompanying high prices, was on the cover of yesterday's NY Times.

I heard a bit on the radio the other day about widespread disgruntlement in Italy over the skyrocketing costs of pasta and bread as well.

I can't get my head around the fuel prices argument....fuel is cheap cheap cheap in the US and Oz  and that's where a shedload of wheat is grown.....we are paying £1.05/litre over here.............and are thinking about growing wheat on our farm.....

To us, gas prices are very high. I guess it's all relevant to where you're from.

It's all about the dollar. Rising commodity prices are just the first sign.

It's going to look bad if we continue what we are doing though. A good example of what might happen is Germany's hyperflation of the paper Mark