• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for something a little different

PurpleDingo99

My dad is coming into town tomorrow and I'm trying to think of something really unusual for dinner. Nothing too high-end (The Hobbit, I digress, is right about the corner) and nothing too cheap (I am a college student trying to squeeze a decent meal out of his dad, after all. :raz: )

Anything from Orange to Newport is fair game, although he won't be on the road until 6:00. So, Dana Point is really out (though it sounds like there's some good eatings down there.) Currently, my fall back is the Agora Churrascaria in Irvine.

So, any ideas?

One place in Orange County that I know of is Marche Moderne at South Coast Plaza on the 3rd floor near Nordstrom's, if French food is something a little different. Mind you, I live in Los Angeles County and I rarely go out to eat in Orange County.

Were you thinking of something more ethnic, like Vietnamese in Westminster or Chinese in Irvine? There is a Chinese restaurant in Irvine called Sam Woo, which is pretty good. I think it's next to a 99 Ranch Market.

I hope you have a nice dinner with your father!

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

I'll second Marche Moderne as a great choice as it is probably the best restaurant in Orange County right now, and if I had a choice I'd go there in a heartbeat.

I guess we need some more info on what you are looking for when you say "different".

Taleo and Taco Roas are both higher end Mexican places with excellent regional Mexican dishes. Taleo is in Irvine Taco Rosa in Newport Beach.

I also really like The Crow Bar in Corona del Mar for a more casual atmosphere, but still really good food.

A final suggestion is Mesa located in Costa Mesa near the Lab on Bristol. It recently was very favorably reviewed by the LA times and the kitchen is helmed by a former Susanne Goin (AOC, Luques in LA) sous chef. I have not eaten there, only had drinks but by all accounts the food is much, much improved from some initial lukewarm reports. The atmosphere is on the hip and trendy side so if that is offputting to your father keep that in mind, though much of that might depend on what night you go, weekday vs weekend.

Have a great meal!

Edited by Swicks (log)

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

So, my dad tried to talk me into Wildfish in Newport (he happened to have a meeting nearby directly before) but I pulled up some pages on it and talked him out of the place rather quickly. He's a sucker for good Mexican (who isn't?) so Taleo became the easy sell.

The guacamole was worth the hype (note to self: use more of cilantro) and the entrées did not disappoint. I had the shrimp enchiladas with yellow mole and a bit of quasi-chimichurri sauce tucked in, which had a surprisingly refined texture. He had camarones de mojo de ajo, which, with a multitude of sides, looked perhaps more American-Mediterranean than Latin American. Whatever the inspiration, the culmination was a rich and balanced dish. No complaints on the edible end.

The wait staff and decor, along with the food, really drove the chic-but-accessible image home. Really, the only problem either of us had was finding the place (I had a map, he had a GPS, and we both still had to drive around!) All in all, it was a perfectly enjoyable dinner. Thanks for all your suggestions, and hopefully he starts visiting more often. :raz:

So, my dad tried to talk me into Wildfish in Newport (he happened to have a meeting nearby directly before) but I pulled up some pages on it and talked him out of the place rather quickly. He's a sucker for good Mexican (who isn't?) so Taleo became the easy sell.

The guacamole was worth the hype (note to self: use more of cilantro) and the entrées did not disappoint. I had the shrimp enchiladas with yellow mole and a bit of quasi-chimichurri sauce tucked in, which had a surprisingly refined texture. He had camarones de mojo de ajo, which, with a multitude of sides, looked perhaps more American-Mediterranean than Latin American. Whatever the inspiration, the culmination was a rich and balanced dish. No complaints on the edible end.

The wait staff and decor, along with the food, really drove the chic-but-accessible image home. Really, the only problem either of us had was finding the place (I had a map, he had a GPS, and we both still had to drive around!) All in all, it was a perfectly enjoyable dinner. Thanks for all your suggestions, and hopefully he starts visiting more often.  :raz:

Glad you had a great meal! Definitely glad you skipped Wildfish, I had an awful meal there about a year ago.

Next time give marche moderne a shot!

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

The wait staff and decor, along with the food, really drove the chic-but-accessible image home. Really, the only problem either of us had was finding the place (I had a map, he had a GPS, and we both still had to drive around!) All in all, it was a perfectly enjoyable dinner. Thanks for all your suggestions, and hopefully he starts visiting more often.  :raz:

Your meal sounds lovely. Perhaps the next time he gets to the area you might be able to wend your way inland a ways to Yorba Linda and try a meal (lunch or dinner are both excellent) at Blue Agave Southwestern Grill.

This is not a traditional "Mexican" restaurant but it is very, very good and many of the dishes are unusual and beautifully presented. Menu

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Glad you had a great meal! Definitely glad you skipped Wildfish, I had an awful meal there about a year ago.

Yeah, I only found one favorable review online, and it was written right at opening. The user reviews were particularly dismal. I think he just wanted to stay there and drink for a bit more than anything. :wink:

Hopefully he finds his way down here before the end of the semester, because I'm trying to transfer up to Berkeley but I really want to try Marche Moderne. Oh Egullet, why must you always introduce me to such great things which I cannot even begin to afford? :raz:

Your meal sounds lovely. Perhaps the next time he gets to the area you might be able to wend your way inland a ways to Yorba Linda and try a meal (lunch or dinner are both excellent) at Blue Agave Southwestern Grill.

This is not a traditional "Mexican" restaurant but it is very, very good and many of the dishes are unusual and beautifully presented. Menu

Those platings are outrageous! They look like something out of a family restaurant, but they sound amazing. For those prices, I just might be able to haul a group of college kids out there next time someone has a birthday. :wink:

I guess I was expecting something like The Blue Agave in Pleasanton California (not 10 minutes from my house- http://www.blueagaveclub.com/blueagave.html .) Perhaps Pleasanton has the 'classier' establishment, but I already like your recommendation better. :raz:

Yeah, I only found one favorable review online, and it was written right at opening. The user reviews were particularly dismal. I think he just wanted to stay there and drink for a bit more than anything. :wink:

Hopefully he finds his way down here before the end of the semester, because I'm trying to transfer up to Berkeley but I really want to try Marche Moderne. Oh Egullet, why must you always introduce me to such great things which I cannot even begin to afford? :raz:

MM actually has an excellent lunch deal which I believe is around $20 for three courses. Can someone confirm?

In any case, that is a phenomenal deal that you may want to take advantage of. I think it would be worth forgoing a few pints at the bar one night, no? :biggrin:

MM actually has an excellent lunch deal which I believe is around $20 for three courses. Can someone confirm?

In any case, that is a phenomenal deal that you may want to take advantage of. I think it would be worth forgoing a few pints at the bar one night, no? :biggrin:

I still got another nine months, so that's more like ten bottles of Two-Buck Chuck to me. :raz:

Swicks, you are correct, sir. The lunch "Spontanee" is $20 and usually includes a nice salad, entree and dessert. Last time I had the braised pork cheeks. Mmmm....

Swicks, you are correct, sir. The lunch "Spontanee" is $20 and usually includes a nice salad, entree and dessert. Last time I had the braised pork cheeks. Mmmm....

Thanks for the tip. Is it usally just one set menu or do they give you a few options? I gotta get in there for that.

I had the pork cheeks last time I was in, delicious.

Thanks for the tip. Is it usally just one set menu or do they give you a few options? I gotta get in there for that.

I had the pork cheeks last time I was in, delicious.

Every time I've been to MM for lunch, the "Spontanee" gave you a option on the main, last time it was the pork cheek or skate wing (I think). Pork Cheek vs. Skate Wing = Pork Cheek wins every time.

• 3 weeks later...
MM actually has an excellent lunch deal which I believe is around $20 for three courses.  Can someone confirm?

In any case, that is a phenomenal deal that you may want to take advantage of.  I think it would be worth forgoing a few pints at the bar one night, no?  :biggrin:

I've tried the lunch meal several times, but I didn't really consider that great of a bargain. The dessert is really uninspired, and been pretty much the same thing anytime I've eaten their lunch meal. And, if its going to be like that, I'd rather not get the dessert and so I start looking at the lunch as if I'm paying for two, not three courses. I've also noticed that the lunch menu isn't really that market driven, as they regularly repeat those dishes.

I also suspect that the diners who buy the lunch meal are not treated the same as those who don't. One time, there was a bone in my fish. And, another time, I noticed that the chef stopped by and talked to all the diners without stopping by at my table.

The food is nice enough, and the place is definitely fabulous looking, especially the outside patio, but I think foodwise, there are better bargains in OC if you go to Westminster or Santa Ana.

MM actually has an excellent lunch deal which I believe is around $20 for three courses.  Can someone confirm?

In any case, that is a phenomenal deal that you may want to take advantage of.  I think it would be worth forgoing a few pints at the bar one night, no?  :biggrin:

I've tried the lunch meal several times, but I didn't really consider that great of a bargain. The dessert is really uninspired, and been pretty much the same thing anytime I've eaten their lunch meal. And, if its going to be like that, I'd rather not get the dessert and so I start looking at the lunch as if I'm paying for two, not three courses. I've also noticed that the lunch menu isn't really that market driven, as they regularly repeat those dishes.

I also suspect that the diners who buy the lunch meal are not treated the same as those who don't. One time, there was a bone in my fish. And, another time, I noticed that the chef stopped by and talked to all the diners without stopping by at my table.

The food is nice enough, and the place is definitely fabulous looking, especially the outside patio, but I think foodwise, there are better bargains in OC if you go to Westminster or Santa Ana.

Interesting. Sorry you had bad experiences.

What places do you think offer that type of quality for that price level? (of course assuming you got a satisfactory meal)

For the record I have eaten at Marche several times (one lunch, 3 dinners) but not had this specific lunch deal.