• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help in Kanata

ddueck

I am out in Kanata for a week staying at the Country Inn. Is everything here a chain restaurant or a box store?

Please help me find some good food. I did have a pretty good steak at Baton Rouge, but I understand that is a chain as well.

Any suggestions would be welcome. I am ready to try just about anything.

I am out in Kanata for a week staying at the Country Inn. Is everything here a chain restaurant or a box store?

Please help me find some good food. I did have a pretty good steak at Baton Rouge, but I understand that is a chain as well.

Any suggestions would be welcome. I am ready to try just about anything.

Kanata is typically suburban and yes, chain restaurants and box stores are the norm there.

You could go to Ottawa... it is not that far.

In any case, what type of food are you looking for?

Oops, I didn't look close enough to what I was doing. I can't believe I posted in the wrong forum. Anyways thanks for the responses. I normally stay in downtown Ottawa but I have long days here in Kanata. I just brought up the Brookswood and that looks like a wonderful evening. I purposely didn't ask for any specific type of food as the options out here seem rather limited.

I have just been informed about Fratelli's. I think I will have to try this before I leave.

(Moderator, please accept my apologies and move this thread to the proper location. Thanks)

• 2 months later...

In Centrum, OX Head has good Pho; not the best in the city, but more then good enough to enjoy. Kanata Sushi is decent, though a bit "north american" in terms of selection. The non-sushi is hit and miss; most of the dishes are in too much sauce and kind of "canadian chinese" in nature. There is also the obligatory sharma shop there (it was Moms Shwarma, but I think they changed the name).

South of the 417, we enjoyed Isaacs, though I think they need to learn a little restraint with flavour, but it was still very good. Bell's Corner has at least one excellent Thai Resturant and isn't *that* far away.

Just of Carling where it meets march road, there is The Clay Oven, which has competent (and sometimes better then competent) NA-style Indian (lots of coconut based sauces, lots of meat) and are very nice people. There is also a new Thai place there that is decent; mostly they need to brighten up their menu (too many heavy sauces), but still decent and proprietor owned.

At March Road and Terry Fox, Papa Sam's makes, IMO, the best pizza in town.