• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

l'Original

bethala

has anyone been to l'original? i read that it is a new spot opened by monika terlecki and travis champion of garde manger and that the food is québécois.

can't believe it's not butter? i can.

walnuts and alexthecook, thanks for your replies.

alexthecook, are you saying that no one at l'original spoke french?

my sister and i are planning a visit to montréal next weekend. i think we've decided on leméac (both dinner and brunch), joe beef, jun I, and maybe BU wine bar, but will pass on l'original this time.

weatherwise, is it too cold for a wimpy new yorker to be walking around? is a visit to the underground city in order? and if so, any nice cafés underground?

thanks,

bethala

By mext weekend do you mean this coming weekend on St-Patrick's weekend? If the former, be aware that we're expecting about 8-9 inches of snow sat. Weatherwise, it's not as warm as NYC but not that cold at this time of the year and by no means warrant wasting your time in the mall inferno that is the underground city. You should go to Jean-Talon market where you'll fin plenty of specialty shops, cheesemongers and the likes.

By mext weekend do you mean this coming weekend on St-Patrick's weekend? If the former, be aware that we're expecting about 8-9 inches of snow sat. Weatherwise, it's not as warm as NYC but not that cold at this time of the year and by no means warrant wasting your time in the mall inferno that is the underground city. You should go to Jean-Talon market where you'll fin plenty of specialty shops, cheesemongers and the likes.

hi, campofiorin. we will be visiting the 13th through the 16th, right before st. patrick's day. i went to marché jean talon last time and loved it. should i try it again, or should i try one of the other markets?

has anyone been to l'original?  i read that it is a new spot opened by monika terlecki and travis champion of garde manger and that the food is québécois.

Just felt the need to chime in and say that Travis and Monika's new place is called L'Orignal (as in "The Moose"), not L'Original! :laugh: Have not had dinner, but it's a great spot for late night drinks.

has anyone been to l'original?  i read that it is a new spot opened by monika terlecki and travis champion of garde manger and that the food is québécois.

Just felt the need to chime in and say that Travis and Monika's new place is called L'Orignal (as in "The Moose"), not L'Original! :laugh: Have not had dinner, but it's a great spot for late night drinks.

mlle tatin, thanks for the correction! don't know if i would have ever picked up on that. i tried just now to correct the title of the thread, but it seems it's too late. here's the location, for anyone who's curious. it's in old montreal, by the way: 479 Saint-Alexis, Phone: 514 303 0479. also, haven't confirmed it, but it seems to be open til 3am on several nights, making it, as you say, a great spot for late night drinks. might just try to check it out...

Edited by bethala (log)

is a visit to the underground city in order?  and if so, any nice cafés underground?

I don't get why the tourist guides hype up the underground city so much. All it is is a bunch of malls interconnected through their basements. It's not like it's some bunker where albino people have developed night vision in order to navigate their way around the below-sea-level caverns of Montreal's "underground city".

Don't expect much from the "underground city". It's really not that big a deal.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

Don't expect much from the "underground city".  It's really not that big a deal.

thanks, riboflavinjoe. i had my suspicions about the underground city but wanted to double check. i'll brave the cold and use taxis and public transportation as needed in order to get to the best grub.

Don't expect much from the "underground city".  It's really not that big a deal.

thanks, riboflavinjoe. i had my suspicions about the underground city but wanted to double check. i'll brave the cold and use taxis and public transportation as needed in order to get to the best grub.

Think Manhattan Mall, only larger. If you've done JTM already, you might enjoy Atwater which is not very far from a subway stop. You could also have poutine at la Banquise on Rachel and enjoy the sights of the Platea Mont-Royal, the part of town in which it's located. Sorta like the Village down in the Apple. Man, I miss Murray's and and Joe's smoked Mozzarella.

Hi everyone,

perhaps we should leave the underground city talk to other topics - not that there's anything more to say about it! :biggrin: - and get back to talking about l`Orignal? I'd like to say that I doubt very much that a server there didn't speak French. I've never seen such a thing happen in Montreal. Also, I'd love to hear more comments from those who might have tried the food. I LOVE Garde Manger, so is the food just as good? Similar style? Anyone?

And don't you think that the name will be confusing for English-speaking tourists? Won't they find it puzzling and hard to pronnounce? And should that matter?

thanks!

A.

Alexandra Forbes

Brazilian food and travel writer, @aleforbes on Twitter

Official Website

I don't know if that last comment was a shot at my credibility, but you can be certain that my brother's comments weren't invented. And it has happened to me personally before to have a non-french speaking server in Montreal.

I don't know how your personal experience can mean that such a thing is impossible.

• 5 months later...