• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The First Thing to Cook

Chufi

So, I´ve mentioned this a dozen times on every possible thread, but I´m moving next week :biggrin:

Tonight we´re having tomatosoup from a can with a salad, tomorrow we´ll be dining at Ikea, and from then on we´ll be pampered by different friends and relatives who were kind enough to invite us over, then on Monday (moving day) we´ll probably go out to dinner, Tuesday will probably still be a mess, but I´m guessing that on Wednesday, I´ll be ready to Cook Something in my new kitchen. It´s not brand new, it´s been in the new apartment for 6 years, but it´s new to me, and it looks pretty good, and it especially will after the big cleaning I´m going to give it this weekend.

Cooking means everything to me and I can´t WAIT to inaugurate the new kitchen. Ofcourse, there´s a pretty good chance that the first meals won´t be anything special, because we will still be unpacking and working and finishing up the house, but I´d like to dream about this special first dinner... something to keep my mind of packing :biggrin:

What did you cook, first night in your new house? was it something special with symbolic meaning or was it just something quick and easy to feed the crowds?

In the last 35 years we've moved about a dozen times. Each time, the first meal in the new home was a pizza, at first take-out and then homemade. Move=pizza.

Don't know why. Well, yes I do. We :wub: pizza!!

What do you mean you're moving?

Alright, I read it somewhere. You'll be giving up that view of the Openluchtschool for something even better I'm sure.

We don't have a new house ritual but we do have a tradition of getting Chinese take-out and a big bottle of white wine for the last night in a place. You can get those two things pretty much anywhere in North America. And it has to be enjoyed on the floor of an empty room.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I'm speaking as a single gal who doesn't have to account for anyone else's needs.....I like to get special alone time to get to know my kitchen better. :raz: What I make on "my first date" with a new kitchen depends on the time of year.

In warm weather, I buy really nice fruits, greens (to dress simply, usually with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper), cheeses, olives nuts and crackers and assemble more than anything. But I get to appreciate my neatly (newly) organized space! And I have stuff left over to nibble on while unpacking and organizing.

In cold weather, I braise something so that the kitchen smells INSANELY good (like the scent is blessing it or something!)....and I know that at some point, everything going to be tender and melded enough so I have an excuse to stop the incessant unpacking and begin eating! Maybe braised short ribs, or coq au vin.

Also good might be a warming pot of minestrone or lentil soup and fresh-baked bread, again for the smell factor.....

But what can beat the smell of roasted chicken? Or a homemade pizza?

Obviously, I'm no help. :wink: I'm just glad you're excited about your new living space, and can't wait to hear about your first dinner!

Hmmm. Since most of the burners on my stove didn't work in the house we most recently moved into, and come to think of it, the oven didn't work either (well, it did work, it just took 3 hours to get to 300 degrees), I opted for the trusty Weber Kettle, some apple wood chunks and a pork butt and opted to smoke instead. Oh, and I pulled out the crock pot and made baked beans.

But, the first and only thing I cooked on the old stove were bacon and over easy eggs. Simple, fast, and very comforting!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Freshly baked bread...it's a tradition! Even if you cannot make the dough for the first time, store-bought will be fine. We have half-baked dough at the supermarket nowadays that you can buy and bring home and put in your oven -- for the heck of it. Roast chicken can't be beaten if you have another oven. I have a twin oven when we first moved in here so I did both.

The smell of freshly baking bread is a strong welcome to anyone coming inside the house.

Just my millionth cent's worth...

austramerica

Life is short: Break the rules...Forgive quickly...Kiss slowly...Love truly...Laugh uncontrollably...And never regret anything that made you smile. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance...

You did more than get a new stove, but every move or new stove I (did) do stir-fry. A family favorite and I need to know where I stand on the firepower. "Cuz the only other choice will be the cajun burner.

What did you cook, first night in your new house? was it something special with symbolic meaning or was it just something quick and easy to feed the crowds?

Klary, how about some comfort food? Something from your childhood or to remind you of your parents or grandparents, so you'll start off cooking with good memories.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

What do you mean you're moving?

Alright, I read it somewhere. You'll be giving up that view of the Openluchtschool for something even better I'm sure.

allright, since you ask :smile: :

gallery_21505_2566_212246.jpg

that's the view I'll have when standing at the sink.

gallery_21505_2566_48897.jpg

Susan I really like the idea of bacon and eggs.. needs only one frying pan and 2 plates, and it will be nice to baptize the stove with some splatters of bacon grease.

And maybe some Dutch applepie in the oven. The oven is tiny (and will be replaced in time) but I'm eager to find out what I can do with it.

Edited by Chufi (log)

I know this is not exactly what you asked ..but oh well since i turned 50 this morning I think I can say anything I want to!!! :shock:

I always burn a candle to bless the kitchen after I clean itand before I cook in it

I am agnostic but it seems so right to me to to do this

good luck ... Chufi and enjoy your new home!

eta

I think it is like a baby you wait to name until you meet him/her...look at your kitchen after you clean it and then it will tell you what to make in it!!!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I know this is not exactly what you asked ..but oh well since i turned 50 this morning I think I can say anything I want to!!!  :shock:

I always burn a candle to bless the kitchen after I clean itand before I cook in it

yes you can say anything you want and not just cause it's your birthday :smile:

I think the candle is a lovely idea!

Freshly baked bread...it's a tradition! Even if you cannot make the dough for the first time, store-bought will be fine. We have half-baked dough at the supermarket nowadays that you can buy and bring home and put in your oven -- for the heck of it. Roast chicken can't be beaten if you have another oven. I have a twin oven when we first moved in here so I did both.

The smell of freshly baking bread is a strong welcome to anyone coming inside the house.

Just my millionth cent's worth...

austramerica

a second for that!!

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

That is a lovely new view - a potent source of inspiration for you in your new kitchen.

Does the canal freeze? I've always thought Dutch speed skaters win so many Olympic medals because of the frozen canals.

What is that vertical panel to the left of the sink? Does it swing up to become a surface?

Happy birthday hummingbirdkiss!

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

• 1 month later...

May we not have an update, with another picture now that you've claimed the kitchen for your own? And what WAS that first delicious repast?

In the first house we built, we officially moved in on Christmas Eve; I came home to a huge car-sized bow on the front door and a pot of coffee perking. And it was just around the road from the "old" house so we sorta moved in pickups and wheelbarrows, even the boys' little red wagon.

First lunch was tuna salad sandwiches on toast, because I could find a few things, after all the helpers set down stuff. For some silly reason, I remember the snick of the tuna cans as the can opener pierced each one---my first "cooking" in that brand new kitchen. (A dead ringer for the Brady Bunch's abode---Daddy asked what color, and I said "Orange countertops"---Alice woulda been right at home).

This house---our BIG old black Franklin was one of the first things down the stairs, so I put on a pot of soup to simmer, and we officially "walked out" the back gate for the first time to get a sackful of deli meats, cheese, and bread. Lotsa miles on that old pathway by now---we've been here 9 1/2 years.

Roast Chicken with mashed potatoes and a nice salad?

Classic, homey, not too difficult, and you get to test out your oven and range.

Good luck. Enjoy your new kitchen!!! :biggrin:

Roast Chicken is exactly what I made in my new house last summer. Plus rosemary roasted potatoes, roasted summer squash and zucchini with oregano, carrots, peas and a salad. It was moving day and we unpacked the kitchen boxes first. I may have made a poor choice there since it was like 90 degrees out and I didn't have central air yet. We were all sweating at the dinner table but it tasted great. Needless to say, I got my central air done that week. Thank goodness my cousin has his own HVAC business.

I can't thank my family enough for getting me unpacked so quickly. I also had to go out of town that week but my sister, her husband and two kids spent the week at my house and unpacked the rest. They moved out of their house the same day I moved into mine and were waiting on their apt to be ready (they are building a new house).

I've been so happy this first year in my new house back in the town I grew up in. I get to cook for my family (mom, dad and sister's family) every Sunday and have a place where there's enough room to do all that cooking.

OK guys I'm so sorry not to have reported back sooner! Moving is hard work you know :wink:

Here are some updated pics of what the kitchen looks like now that I've taken possession. These are action shots taken just this evening in the midst of cooking dinner, so I did not clean up for you, but you get to see what it really looks like..

The 'newest' thing about my new kitchen is that now, my study/office/place to work/ whatever you call it, is actually right in the kitchen. I wasn´t too sure how I would feel about this beforehand, but I LOVE it! Right now I´m typing away while dinner is on the stove, I can move between laptop and countertop in 3 easy steps. It´s my ultimate, favorite space.

megan, the floorboards are diagonal because the apartment is in a round tower, and is actually like a quarter of a pie, this makes for a very interesting lay-out.

Now what did I cook? The first week I made only very quick one-pot-one-bowl dinners like pasta carbonara, stirfries etc. Then on the first weekend we were here I made a sort of braised curry, loosely based on a recipe from Molly Stevens All About Braising. It was wonderful to have the aromas waft through the house while we were unpacking boxes.

We´ve had quite a few dinnerparties, casual supper-get-togethers, etc. so far. It´s been a true joy cooking in this kitchen.

This weekend is my birthday and I´ll be cooking for 24... the ultimate kitchen test!

gallery_21505_4397_107685.jpg

gallery_21505_4397_194437.jpg

edited to add: we´re planning to add a little bar area/extra counterspace right where the trashcan now stands. It will be a great place to hang out with a drink, to have breakfast, and simply to enjoy the view.

Edited by Chufi (log)

Wonderful to see your new kitchen, all arranged, drawers filled, light streaming in. I look with envy at ANY house with a tower---but the entire place---I'd feel like a princess every day. I'd also stand at those windows with my coffee, mesmerized to see the fog lift/sun rise/rain fall as the day begins.

How many stairs? Elevator now? Hauling in groceries for two up several flights, but for 24!!! Looking forward to the birthday pictures---what day exactly is it?

And will you think nostalgically (but not wistfully) of your rope-and-basket?

A kitchen with a view like that brings me out of lurkdom! So beautiful! And so much light in your kitchen. :cool:

Our house is "in the woods" which we love for the shade in our hot summers but the kitchen gets so little natural light. I would think your cooking would be so inspired by light and water from your beautiful city!

By the way, I think I made a simple bolognese and spaghetti for our first meal here.

Happy Birthday!

Marsha