• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese cookbook recommendations

Akiko

If you are looking for just Japanese, I would recommend Tsuji's Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art, if you are maybe looking for a General Asian cooking book (that covers Japan as well) then you might try Madhur Jaffrey's A Taste of the Far East of Essentials of Asian Cuisine by Corrine Trang.

The wonderful thing about Japanese cooking is that it doesn't become dated!

The Tsuji book is also on the older side but really an incredible resource, I have glanced through a lot of the newer books on the amrket and have been very disappointed in most of them.

Good Luck! and feel free to ask any questions here! :biggrin: we are better than a book.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 2 months later...

I just picked up a new cookbook today, it is in Japanese and I can't wait to try it out, it is called

Bio farm Matsuki no yasai recipe zukan (Illustrated book of vegetable recipes form Bio farm Matsuki)

by Matsuki Kazuhiro

The author, a former chef at Taillevant Robuchon (Joel Robuchon's Tokyo restaurant), decided to leave the restaurant world after 17 years and in 2000 he moved to Shizuoka prefecture and started an organic farm. His vegetables a nice mix of Japanese and European are sold to restaurants and are available for personal home delivery.

His book also combines a nice nice mix of Asian and Western, a recipe of an asparagus oven omelette is follwed by aspara gohan (asparagus rice), a couple pages later is a dish of Indian spiced okra and then teriyaki style corn and a grilled corn and marche salad.

For information on the man, the book or his produce, look here:

http://www2.odn.ne.jp/bio/

(Japanese only)

Currently, here in Tokyo, I own:

"Quick and Easy Japanese Cooking for Everyone" by Miyoko Sakai and Motoko Abe, published by The Japan Times. This is a great book for basic, homestyle dishes that one would find being cooked in any kitchen on any given night in Japan.

"The Cook's Encyclopedia of Japanese Cooking" by Emi Kazuko, With Recipes by Yasuko Fukuoka, published by Barnes & Noble Books. Very comprehensive collection of ingredients used in Japanese cooking, with some top-notch recipes to boot.

"Japanese Cooking For The American Table" by Susan Fuller Slack, published by The Berkley Publishing Company. I bought this one before I ever moved to Japan, for the sole reason that all of the ingredients used in it are available in the U.S. Some of the recipes aren't real authentic though, i.e. Teriyaki Walnut Roll, or Ham and Cheese Rolls with Shiso, (uses Monterey Jack cheese) :cool: But, the results do taste good, and at the end of the day, that is what counts the most, eh?

MM

• 1 month later...

This is a "broadening" of sort of an earlier query I had on my inability to find Japanese regional cuisine cookbooks, other than those about Okinawa. More generally, I am looking for books (in Japanese or English) that provide a sensitive and nuanced explanation of the cultural and geographical context behind particular Japanese dishes.

While there are a huge range of cookbooks published in Japan, many of which focus on high-end gastronomic cuisine (particularly celebrity chef cookbooks), I've been surprised by the lack of books providing an introduction to the unique cuisines of the different regions, or to subcuisines such as temple cooking or the various schools of kaiseki. Ideally such cookbooks should provide information about the sociocultural context in which each cuisine came into being.

Recently, I've come across a number of books put by the "Graph-sha" publishing house, that seemed to promise more that what I've typically come across so far. On is called Nihon Ryouri Shiki Moritsuki(?) that provides a good introduction to seasonal cuisines, as well as another called Kaori Yasai o Tsukatta Reshipi which discussed different herbs and how they might be used in Japanese cuisine. Even their introductory books on Okazu and Japanese Cooking provide a much more in-depth discussion of the cultural philosophy behind the recipes than most cookbooks.

My encounter with these books was mostly serendipitous, they seem to occasionally appeal on markdown at the book corner of our local Shirokiya. However, even when I've been to Japan and searched through Shinjuku Kinokuniya and the like, I haven't been able to find anything closer to what I'm looking for. I know there must be more, but perhaps I haven't researched deeply enough. I'm aware of the encylopedia-like collections of articles about Japanese ingredients and the like that are availabe, but am not yet ready to pay the 10K+ yen that purchasing such books involves.

And what is your opinion of Graph-sha? And can anyone here give me more advice on where else to look for books that discuss Japanese subcuisines (regional or otherwise) in a cultural-informed manner? Thanks!

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

Graph-sha puts out great cookbooks, most of their stuff is what I would possibly call "classic" they really stand the test of time, unfortunately they have this sort of "old" look to them and the photography just doesn't compare to some of the other books on the market.

Cookbooks in Japan really seem to follow trends, 5 years ago it was Italian, every other cookbook was about Italian foods, a year to 2 years ago it was cheap food, with titiles like feeding 4 on 1000yen a day. This year it seems to be healthly foods, lots of macrobiotics, genmai (brown rice) and other grains, books focusing just on vegetables, etc. The other new trend are books that have recipes for just one or two people.

You should be able to find some books on things like temple foods now because of the current health/macrobiotic trend but I am not sure how much historical information you will find in them.

I think it is time for me to take a trip to the bookstore and check out the shelves! :biggrin:

Have you had a look at these books?

Japanese Cooking- Contemporary and Traditional

Japanese and vegetarian food expert Miyoko Nishimoto Schinner presents traditional Japanese dishes and regional specialties from Kyusju in the south to Hokkaido in the north. She draws from a long tradition of vegetarian cooking in Buddhist temples, as well as an abundance of vegetable- and legume-based dishes that can be found in traditional Japanese cuisine. For those dishes that are usually prepared with meat, fish or fowl, Miyoko has created innovative substitutes utilizing tofu, seitan, and other vegetarian foods to create what is truly a unique vegan cookbook.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=books

and

The Folk Art of Japanese Country Cooking

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=books

While Tsuji and Andoh have risen far above most other authors of the "Japanese cookbooks" genre, Homma is really at the pinnacle in helping the Westerner understand what Japanese cooking is all about in the cultural context. Whereas most books provide a workable recipe and a useful picture of the presentation, allowing one to do a reasonable job of "cooking a Japanese dish in an American kitchen", this book provides the social and historical context in which the ingredients and the dish exist, so that one understands what one is doing when using a recipe. Not to be found in other books are discussion of breakfast and recipes for it; once you've made and enjoyed okayu you'll do it again and again (and eventually invest in a neuro-fuzzy-logic rice cooker with timer so that the okayu is waiting for you in the morning). The book has many useful illustrations not found elsewhere, such as three ways to set a breakfast tray. Homma's sincere desire to convey the "spirit of Japanese cooking" and the stories he tells add incomparable charm. Highest recommendation

• 8 months later...

This must have been discussed in this or another forum (I apologize if this is redundant), but I was wondering if any of you had particular recommendations for Japanese cookbooks written in English.

I know this might sound vague, but I am looking for books that go beyond just covering the basics of traditional home cooking, something a little more comprehensive (and accurate!!) that would also explain some of the regional differences. All of my wife’s cookbooks are in Japanese and I unfortunately do not speak the language - I know, shame on me, but it’s in the works - We have both been to several bookstores here in the US (Kinokuniya probably being the best source), but even there once you set aside the “make your own sushi kits/books” and the Nobu type cookbooks, the choice dwindles down significantly.

Thanks in advance for your input!

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

I pretty much swear by the Dictionary of Japanese Food by Richard Hosking.  It covers nearly all ingredients, tools, and techniques of Japanese cookery with entries in both english and Japanese (with Japanese characters).  No recipes per say though...

This is the kind of material I am looking for. Thanks

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

• 3 weeks later...

I own several of her books, and her book called "Tare no Hon" is very good and I do use it for inspiration often. Her "Sosu no Hon" is not as good though. I do like that fact that she enjoys using some non-Japanese ingredients to come up with new ideas (I also enjoy doing that too). However, her rendition on Western style food seems very basic and not inspiring at all.

I think my favorite now is Hisama Hirano - very easy to follow his recipes.

• 6 months later...

I just ran across this review for a book called The Enlightened Kitchen: Fresh Vegetable Dishes from the Temples of Japan by Mari Fujii.

It sounds very interesting, I can't wait to take a look at it when it comes out.

• 6 months later...

Yesterday I happened upon what I think is Elizabeth Andoh's newest book, "Washoku." It's terrific with interesting text and beautiful pictures. The first chapter goes into quite a bit of depth on basic Japanese ingredients. For the seasoned Japanese cook, the recipes might be too basic. And for those seeking "innovative" Japanese cuisine (eg Nobu-esque), this is not the book for you. But for the beginner who really wants to get a feel for what real Japanese home cooking is like, it seems like it would be perfect! I wanted to buy it but decided that I wouldn't want to lug it to Japan when I move there in April. :biggrin::rolleyes::biggrin: Surely there are other great cookbooks to be found in Tokyo, right?

I learned a tremendous amount from Hiroko Shimbo's "The Japanese Kitchen." Similar to "Washoku" it covers all the basic ground. It's not as shiny and glamourous, but I would definitely recommend it for the beginner.

My first post, after reading probably thousands! :wink:

Yesterday I happened upon what I think is Elizabeth Andoh's newest book, "Washoku."  It's terrific with interesting text and beautiful pictures.  The first chapter goes into quite a bit of depth on basic Japanese ingredients.  For the seasoned Japanese cook, the recipes might be too basic.  And for those seeking "innovative" Japanese cuisine (eg Nobu-esque), this is not the book for you.  But for the beginner who really wants to get a feel for what real Japanese home cooking is like, it seems like it would be perfect!  I wanted to buy it but decided that I wouldn't want to lug it to Japan when I move there in April.  :biggrin:  :rolleyes:  :biggrin: Surely there are other great cookbooks to be found in Tokyo, right? 

I learned a tremendous amount from Hiroko Shimbo's "The Japanese Kitchen."  Similar to "Washoku" it covers all the basic ground.  It's not as shiny and glamourous, but I would definitely recommend it for the beginner. 

My first post, after reading probably thousands!  :wink:

Is that the same book as that referred to here? Carrot Top speaks highly of the book.

Yes it is. It really looks a terrific book. Rather than being page after page of recipes, it's an interesting read and is visually stunning. I think that those who have moved beyond the basics of Japanese cooking would still be interested to see what she has to say about the recipes and Japanese cooking in general. I wonder if Carrot Top (or anyone out there) has had a chance to try out any of the recipes?

Yesterday I happened upon what I think is Elizabeth Andoh's newest book, "Washoku."  It's terrific with interesting text and beautiful pictures.  The first chapter goes into quite a bit of depth on basic Japanese ingredients.  For the seasoned Japanese cook, the recipes might be too basic.  And for those seeking "innovative" Japanese cuisine (eg Nobu-esque), this is not the book for you.  But for the beginner who really wants to get a feel for what real Japanese home cooking is like, it seems like it would be perfect!  I wanted to buy it but decided that I wouldn't want to lug it to Japan when I move there in April.  :biggrin:  :rolleyes:  :biggrin: Surely there are other great cookbooks to be found in Tokyo, right? 

I learned a tremendous amount from Hiroko Shimbo's "The Japanese Kitchen."  Similar to "Washoku" it covers all the basic ground.  It's not as shiny and glamourous, but I would definitely recommend it for the beginner. 

My first post, after reading probably thousands!  :wink:

sk_ward,

Welcome to eGullet and the Japan Forum!

Elizabeth Andoh's new book is wonderful. I recently did an interview with her and will be writing it up in pieces for eGullet.

There are many books but if you are looking for English language ones I suggest you buy them in the US , the price almost doubles in the bookstores over here. If you read Japanese then you won't have too much to worry about as there is an incredible selection available and Japanese cookbooks are normally very thin.

What would it be ?

I am looking for a "quintessential Japanese Cookbook" as a gift and would like to know your pick and why.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Everyone recommends this cookbook: Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art by Shizuo Tsuji and I think that I really ought to buy myself a copy ..

Tsuji organizes the book in a unique way. Instead of dividing the book by course or ingredient, he creates a section for each cooking technique (grilling, steaming, deep-frying). Each technique is discussed in depth with one recipe accompanied by illustrations to clarify each step.  With its clear illustrations, and detailed explanations on Japanese cooking techniques, customs, and ingredients, Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art is a great place to start for those looking to learn more about cooking Japanese cuisine.
full review here

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I got a copy of Elizabeth Andoh's Washoku book recently. It really is wonderful just to read. I wish it had more complete menu suggestions because I don't feel very confident in my ability to put together meals that represent Japanese ideals. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

I look forward to reading Kris's interview!

Jennie