• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Groovy" dessert

pastrymama

We are having a father - daughter night at the club where I work. The theme is the 60's. They would like to have a "Groovy" dessert, whatever that means.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? I am at a loss.

Thanks for any help. Marilyn

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

Awhile ago I cut out a picture from some magazine for a tie-dyed cheesecake. I think it is served at one of the Disney restaurants. You just make the batter for a cheesecake and then divide it up into 4 or 5 equal portions and dye them each a different color. You pour the batters into the pan and swirl them around and bake. It was really pretty and I thought it would make a good dessert for a teenager party.

Ok, just take any old dessert that you have in your repertoire......panna cotta, molten chocolate cake....whatever......serve it on a plate that has swirled sauces on it (similar to Kim's suggestion about the swirled cheesecake), add a "peace sign tuile" and voila......groovy man! :raz:

We just had a groovy one after lunch today while watching the snow and accidents down the road:

a box of chocolate chip cookies topped with ice cream...not really ice cream cookies but similar. Ice cream cookies has cookie on top and at the bottom and ice cream in the middle. This is just one cookie topped with ice cream. No mess dripping on the side...and you can have any flavour you want.

Life is short: Break the rules...Forgive quickly...Kiss slowly...Love truly...Laugh uncontrollably...And never regret anything that made you smile. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance...

I am at work so I can not take time to find the exact recipe but I think it is in this thread ..the picture here anyway rainbow jello

this is groovy!!!

perhaps even psychodelically groovy!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

We are having a father - daughter night at the club where I work.  The theme is the 60's.  They would like to have a "Groovy" dessert, whatever that means.

Does anyone have any ideas for me?  I am at a loss.

Thanks for any help.  Marilyn

As a child of the 60s, dessert fondue was pretty popular by mid- to late-60s. Chocolate Fondue would fit the theme.

You could also take the organo-hippy granola-crunchy route. Not only granola, but also rolled oats, dried fruit/trail mix, and other things that we now consider health-food staples (or cliches) began creeping into popular food culture around that time.

Though I admit that chocolate fondue or tiedye cheesecake sound more invitingly decadent... :laugh:

Child of the '60's here too.

My mom served rainbow Jell-O with fruit in it. There must be a take on that which would be spectacular and not involve green.

I adored the crepe idea. Mom really got into those. We had a crepe pan and she went to town. She also got her paws on a Chocolate Souffle recipe. Those were a major rage when I was little. I mostly remember much tip-toeing and colorful metaphors.

Oh, wait! Baked Alaska! There was a whole rage over that when I was about 6. If it involved fire, or meringue, mom was wall over it. That satisfied two needs. That would have been in 1969 (ugh. Am I that old?). It was a major todo at every dinner party, or Cherries Jubilee.

Edited by nliedel (log)

Blog.liedel.org

Thanks for all the ideas. The jello would certainly look groovy, but I think they would be disappointed to have it for dessert on such a special night. I work for a French chef and he has asked me to do individual frazier's, which is a strawberry cream cake and do some decorations that would suit the theme. I'll post back when I have it worked out. Thanks again.

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com