• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Coffee Cakes, Sticky Buns, Muffins & More

Brigid Mary

I just bought this book yesterday. After seeing it at my aunts house, I knew that I had to have it! I've already made the Simple sweet dough into cinnamon Buns, and I currently have the Rich Sour Cream Dough sitting in my fridge.

I want to know who else has this book and what you've made/plan to make! We have other threads based on certain books, I was hoping we could do the same for this one. It has a lot of great recipes and I can't wait to try them all! My brother's been begging me for a cherry danish, so I'll be making the danish dough soon.

The banana date muffins on p94 are exceptional, topped with the country streusel. I find that the recipe yields 12 perfect muffins rather than the 14 as printed.

The "too good to be true" bran muffins were winners also.

I may do a babka for Easter - I'm currently smitten with Zoe Francoise's "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes" from another thread on Eg that I cannot keep up with all the bread. I need my 20- something son to move back home.

Banana Date Muffins sound really, really good. I'm totally looking forward to the blueberry ones and the orange cream cheese with Pepita crunch. YUM.

My aunts making a babka for Easter dessert at her house so I can't wait to try it out when she makes it!

So, my sour cream dough became a Swedish Tea Ring, double recipe because I didn't want to divide the dough. I gave it Carole's Favorite Streusel Topping, and the orange glaze instead of vanilla. I haven't actually tasted it yet, but from what I "picked" it's incredibly delicious!

gallery_55196_5741_38593.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

WOW! Must try that Swedish Tea Ring, and don't you just love the streusel topping? I like the orange glaze idea as well. Love the Rich Sour Cream Dough.

I'm having house guests next week and will be baking out of this book for them.

Edited by SondraG (log)

• 2 months later...

I love this cookbook. I have made the Chocolate Pecan Strip twice now (both times used walnuts instead).

gallery_51526_6054_18691.jpg

I brought it into work, and it was a hit. However, I did find that it had a yeasty taste to it, which I think I let it rise for too long. I have a little bit of trouble forming it b/c I feel like the chocolate filling is just oozing as I try to twist the cut strips.

I also love Zach's blueberry muffins - they are so good! I made Jeff's chcoolate-glased midnight muffins, but I wasn't that impressed. I just made Neil's whipped cream pound cake for a chocolate fondue to be served for Father's Day.

I have to say though that I feel like the temperatures are either too high or the cook time is too long in all the recipes I have tried so far. I know it's not my oven, b/c I have a thermometer and everything else bakes just fine when I follow the recipe.

• 2 months later...

Please HELP! I made the simple dough for the second time now, and my dough is so sticky! I really do not recally it being this sticky the first time. It's impossible to work with if I don't use a lot of flour when I am kneading it and rolling it out. What happened? How much will using a lot of flour alter the outcome?

Be sure that you measured the flour correctly. Carole probably has instructions in the book for how she measures flour for her recipes. (Different ways of measuring can yield vastly different amounts of flour.)

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

• 3 weeks later...

I made the chocolate streusel squares from this book the other day, following the recipe closely and i wasn't blown away by them.

At the request of my best friend's brother who couldn't get enough of them, i made them again, this time rubbing the butter into the flour mixture to get crunchy streusel and underbaking the brownies a little and they were soooo good! Totally worth how involved this recipe is!

One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating. ~Luciano Pavarotti and William Wright, Pavarotti, My Own Story