• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

George Brett's: RIP

Not that I'm terribly surprised, but I do admit to emitting a slight *gasp* when I saw George Brett's boarded up (literally). His signature fixture above the main door has been removed.

All things considered, it had a impressively long run.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I'm really going to miss that hot pine tar appetizer :wink:

I guess that even for a great player like Brett, once you stop playing, your momentum eventually dies. How long was it open?

Here in Chicago, Michael Jordan owns a piece of one sixty blue (and may have personally prevented its closing a few years back) but his namesake restaurant is long gone. OTOH, Walter Payton's Roundhouse Complex in Aurora, IL seems to be still going strong.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I guess that even for a great player like Brett, once you stop playing, your momentum eventually dies.  How long was it open?

Here in Chicago, Michael Jordan owns a piece of one sixty blue (and may have personally prevented its closing a few years back) but his namesake restaurant is long gone.  OTOH, Walter Payton's Roundhouse Complex in Aurora, IL seems to be still going strong.

=R=

Coincidentally, one of the national food journals (I *think* it's Bon Appetit's March issue) has a one-page blurb on Michael Jordan's latest restaurant ventureS.

BTW, for those of us in Kansas City who are interested (in being terribly disheartened), according to Joyce Smith at the KC Star, George Brett's is being replaced by the Brazilian meat-fest, Fogo de Chao. (Read the article here.)

Ronnie, I believe George Brett's opened in either 2003 or 2004.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I don’t like to talk bad about other places on forums but it frustrates me when someone has enough money to do what ever they want and put it in a location most of us would kill to have. Then drive it into the ground the way they did. Unbelievable. We had a beer there last year and the bathrooms looked as if they hadn’t been cleaned or repaired in months. Mr. Brett had very little to do with the place. I’m not going to say the name of the owners so I will not pop up in a google search but they are the most corrupt restaurant group in the city. He just opens places and lets it squeeze money out of plaza tourists. IMHO he is one of the problems with restaurants in KC. Serving low rent Italian, burgers and other crap and calling it fine dining and people love it.

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

...Serving low rent Italian, burgers and other crap and calling it fine dining and people love it.

But, not enough to keep George Brett's in business...

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I guess that even for a great player like Brett, once you stop playing, your momentum eventually dies.  How long was it open?

Here in Chicago, Michael Jordan owns a piece of one sixty blue (and may have personally prevented its closing a few years back) but his namesake restaurant is long gone.  OTOH, Walter Payton's Roundhouse Complex in Aurora, IL seems to be still going strong.

=R=

Coincidentally, one of the national food journals (I *think* it's Bon Appetit's March issue) has a one-page blurb on Michael Jordan's latest restaurant ventureS.

BTW, for those of us in Kansas City who are interested (in being terribly disheartened), according to Joyce Smith at the KC Star, George Brett's is being replaced by the Brazilian meat-fest, Fogo de Chao. (Read the article here.)

Ronnie, I believe George Brett's opened in either 2003 or 2004.

You could do worse than Fogo de Chao. Sure, it's not super premium but it's still arguably the best in its category.

=R=

You could do worse than Fogo de Chao.  Sure, it's not super premium but it's still arguably the best in its category.

=R=

I'll agree with that. I guess this comes as especially disappointing news since George Brett's (however awful the food may have been - I don't know, I haven't been since it first opened) was at least somewhat "local."

Ronnie (and for those of you who have not been to Kansas City), the location that Fogo de Chao will be moving into is on the Country Club Plaza - probably the premiere shopping district in Kansas City, to date (it's also the oldest outdoor shopping district in the nation). My (and I suspect ChefCAG's) frustration is simply that the centerpiece of our city has been over-run by chains and somewhat sub-standard restaurants (with a few exceptions - Starker's comes to mind). Fogo de Chao will be opening down the street from Ruth's Chris, around the corner from P.F. Chang's, catty-corner to The Cheesecake Factory, and sandwiched between a McCormick & Schmick's and M&S Grill. Did I mention that there's a Capital Grille also lurking just a few blocks away? There's a Starbucks within ear (espresso?) shot. There may or may not be a Coldstone Creamery next door - I can't remember if it's still there.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

You could do worse than Fogo de Chao.  Sure, it's not super premium but it's still arguably the best in its category.

=R=

I'll agree with that. I guess this comes as especially disappointing news since George Brett's (however awful the food may have been - I don't know, I haven't been since it first opened) was at least somewhat "local."

Ronnie (and for those of you who have not been to Kansas City), the location that Fogo de Chao will be moving into is on the Country Club Plaza - probably the premiere shopping district in Kansas City, to date (it's also the oldest outdoor shopping district in the nation). My (and I suspect ChefCAG's) frustration is simply that the centerpiece of our city has been over-run by chains and somewhat sub-standard restaurants (with a few exceptions - Starker's comes to mind). Fogo de Chao will be opening down the street from Ruth's Chris, around the corner from P.F. Chang's, catty-corner to The Cheesecake Factory, and sandwiched between a McCormick & Schmick's and M&S Grill. Did I mention that there's a Capital Grille also lurking just a few blocks away? There's a Starbucks within ear (espresso?) shot. There may or may not be a Coldstone Creamery next door - I can't remember if it's still there.

Ok, I get the picture and I can easily see why it's so unappealing.

=R=

Guys, this does not bode well for U.L. Washington's new fondue place or Cookie Rojas' Pan-Asian luncheonette.... :biggrin:

Not that I spend much time on the Plaza, but with the upcoming Fogo de Chao moving in near PF Chang's and The Cheesecake Factory, you've got the "perfect storm" of touristy/weekend warrior spots within about a block or so of each other. Now from what I've heard I do think that Fogo is at least a couple of notches above the other restaurants, but it's always disheartening to see a local spot leave and be replaced by yet another chain.

I truly am convinced that places like Figlio only stay open due to the crowds that don't want to wait 3 hours at the aforementioned spots....

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Sad, indeed, although all points made upthread are spot-on (except for Z's non-sports-fan attempt at humor, but I'll give him props for trying since I know how painful it must have been for him :raz:). The homogenization marches on.

And I hate to even think about it, but I have threatened to run myself through with a Fogo de Chao meat skewer if the former Frondizi's spot becomes another link in a chain. That should make a lot of people happy (my untimely demise, I mean) because it is almost sure to happen. The reason Frondizi's closed was the reportedly scandalous rent increase. It seems unlikely another local is going to have deep enough pockets to go in there, so guess what will.

Actually that might make an interesting little contest. Assuming that no one really knows what's happening there and just isn't telling, shall we try to guess which of the uber-chains will take it? Maybe Tim D will convince Wolfgang that he needs a KC outlet? How about the Batali/Bastianich group? Surely they've noticed from the Lidia's experience that there's gold in them thar hills (er, these here?). I actually wouldn't too much mind that. But I fear it will simply be more blah food, coupled with draconian reservation policies and buzzers to summon you when [at last] your table is ready. At least I can enjoy knowing that the masses who flock there get treated about as well as they deserve to be. If they put invisible fencing around the perimeter and made one person in each party wear a shock collar, it wouldn't be much worse than having to carry around one of those silly, over-sized devices.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Sad, indeed, although all points made upthread are spot-on (except for Z's non-sports-fan attempt at humor, but I'll give him props for trying since I know how painful it must have been for him :raz:).  The homogenization marches on.

And I hate to even think about it, but I have threatened to run myself through with a Fogo de Chao meat skewer if the former Frondizi's spot becomes another link in a chain.  That should make a lot of people happy (my untimely demise, I mean) because it is almost sure to happen.  The reason Frondizi's closed was the reportedly scandalous rent increase.  It seems unlikely another local is going to have deep enough pockets to go in there, so guess what will.

Actually that might make an interesting little contest.  Assuming that no one really knows what's happening there and just isn't telling, shall we try to guess which of the uber-chains will take it?  Maybe Tim D will convince Wolfgang that he needs a KC outlet?  How about the Batali/Bastianich group?  Surely they've noticed from the Lidia's experience that there's gold in them thar hills (er, these here?).  I actually wouldn't too much mind that.  But I fear it will simply be more blah food, coupled with draconian reservation policies and buzzers to summon you when [at last] your table is ready.  At least I can enjoy knowing that the masses who flock there get treated about as well as they deserve to be.  If they put invisible fencing around the perimeter and made one person in each party wear a shock collar, it wouldn't be much worse than having to carry around one of those silly, over-sized devices.

Frondizi's is too far off the Plaza and too hard to get to to make it justifiable for a chain. Then again, only a chain could afford to offer valet parking.

I don't know why I encourage you, moosnsqrl. Glad to see you've gotten past your ordinateur woes. :wink:

It's not big enough (thankfully) for a Maggiano's. Not diner-esque enough for Friendly's.

Legal Seafood? Wait, sorry, this is the Midwest. If it doesn't moo or oink, it's not fit for consumption.

Oooh! I know! We don't have don't have a Wienerschnitzel, yet.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I've heard that Cafe Trio is going into the Frondizzi's space.

Yes, as have I. Although at this point, I have begun wondering whether one party (either landlord or potential tenant) has been crying wolf. It seems like a on-again-off-again sitch.

I hope it works out for both parties concerned. No Wienerschnitzel!

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Sad, indeed, although all points made upthread are spot-on (except for Z's non-sports-fan attempt at humor, but I'll give him props for trying since I know how painful it must have been for him :raz:). 

Not a sports fan?! Only a true long sufering royal fan could have pulled those name out of Harvey the ball Rabbit's magic hat.

Freddy Patek's Pannini Station is probably the next big thing

:shock::cool:

Sad, indeed, although all points made upthread are spot-on (except for Z's non-sports-fan attempt at humor, but I'll give him props for trying since I know how painful it must have been for him :raz:). 

Not a sports fan?! Only a true long sufering royal fan could have pulled those name out of Harvey the ball Rabbit's magic hat.

Freddy Patek's Pannini Station is probably the next big thing

:shock::cool:

OH! Well don't even get me started on Al Hrabosky's short-lived Hungarian Hangover Skillet Sanctuary known simply as the "Porcine Palace"...... all these foodie posers will pretend they didn't nurse a plethora of hangovers in that midtown lard-fest..... how quickly the Monday Morning shortstops deny their roots.....

Okay, I know I'm going to hell for the hometown hero mockery, but I'll bet none of you have thrown back as many shots in St. Louis as I have with that Mad Hungarian....

God I hate professional sports.... :raz:

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I've heard that Cafe Trio is going into the Frondizzi's space.

Yes, as have I. Although at this point, I have begun wondering whether one party (either landlord or potential tenant) has been crying wolf. It seems like a on-again-off-again sitch.

I hope it works out for both parties concerned. No Wienerschnitzel!

Yes, I guess I figured that was dead as well. I just chalked it up to the numbers not working.

UE, what do you have against der Wienerschnitzel?

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Nothing, my dear Frau Moosnsqrl - when it's not meat product served in a, or between, bun. :wink:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Nothing, my dear Frau Moosnsqrl - when it's not meat product served in a, or between, bun. :wink:

I haven't been to a Der Wienerschnitzel since probably the 70's, now the two of you have done flung a craving on me. Where can I find one?

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I haven't been to a Der Wienerschnitzel since probably the 70's, now the two of you have done flung a craving on me. Where can I find one?

Well, joiei, I've "done flung" the website for der Wienderschnietzel at you. :wink:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account