• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Down Home With the Neelys

FlourPower

I tried to watch it but changed channels because it simply held no interest for me.

The Food Network has had an excellent African-American chef host shows in the past and Curtis Aikens, who was with TFN at the beginning, has continued to present informative and interesting shows. He has a flair for presenting a recipe that involves the viewer and certainly makes me want to try them.

The Neelys' show may be popular with many people but to me it seems too "cartoonish" and it certainly has NOT gone over well with my African-American neighbors who feel much of the dialog is gratuitous and contrived. (She is a college professor (economics) and he is an engineer (highway construction) She is from Mississippi, he is from Texas and both said they felt uncomfortable during the brief time they watched it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I understand their reaction to the show. My problem was using a slur to describe them, and suggesting that they acted a certain way because someone paid them to not be themselves. No one has addressed that yet.

I just didn't like all the sexual innuendoes that was in the show. I mean, yes, there is a raw sexually to eating and cooking. Most true "foodies" I know would agree with that statement. I mean Mario Batali's, Anthony Bourdain, (I am female...and straight) are two celebrity chefs whose display of food and cooking is hot, but you don't see them going out of their way to make innuendoes about it.

I will say it, Rachel Ray's cooking makes all humanity look bad. Not just white folks. Sorry...

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

I mean Mario Batali's, Anthony Bourdain, (I am female...and straight) are two celebrity chefs whose display of food and cooking is hot, but you don't see them going out of their way to make innuendoes about it.

I've seen both of them do it. Seems the Neelys are being held to a different standard.