• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Down Home With the Neelys

FlourPower

Who the hell greenlighted this? My wife and I literally cannot stand to watch this due to all the shuckin' and jivin' going on. I'd love to know how many black viewers see this and say "Great. Thanks a lot."

It is unbelievable how crass and stereotypical this show is. Words fail me. The wife's frequent 'shut yo mouf' type of exclamations, thinly veiled sexual innuendoes and literal ass shaking on camera makes Amos and Andy look like My Dinner with Andre.

Is anyone else gobsmacked that this steamer of a show made it on the air or is it just me?

I literally watched it for about 10 minutes and changed the channel when Mrs. Neely proclaimed that she wished she was the rack of ribs her husband had "rub[bed] down and flipped over". I'm no prude, but the humor was just...off. And, it was not really very interesting from a culinary standpoint. But maybe all the bumpin' and grindin' was distracting me?

Who the hell greenlighted this? My wife and I literally cannot stand to watch this due to all the shuckin' and jivin' going on. I'd love to know how many black viewers see this and say "Great. Thanks a lot."

It is unbelievable how crass and stereotypical this show is. Words fail me. The wife's frequent 'shut yo mouf' type of exclamations, thinly veiled sexual innuendoes and literal ass shaking on camera makes Amos and Andy look like My Dinner with Andre.

Is anyone else gobsmacked that this steamer of a show made it on the air or is it just me?

I saw it as the affirmative action Paula Deen show. I guess Southerners are funny as hell. I must say having lived in the South a large part of my life: I recognize all the characters involved and the level of intoxication to produce the behavior. I am not going to say anymore other than both shows are amped up stereotypes.

Well, I guess I am going to come in from left field here.

I have only seen the previews, not the entire show. Maybe I will feel entirely differently after viewing the show, and will readily admit it.

Isn't cooking sensual? Isn't this a married couple with a healthy and playful interaction in the kitchen? That was my interpretation after seeing the previews, but I suppose I should watch the show.

I must admit, when I saw the "rub me and roll me over" thing, that it occurred to me that it is something I would say to my husband in the kitchen if I were watching him rub a slab of ribs. I smiled, it resonated with me. Honestly. And he would grin and come back with something equally as lascivious in that situation. We flirt - outrageously. Even in front of the kids, now that they are adults and are involved in relationships of their own.

Disclosure: I am southern and white, happily married.

Yeah, hubby and I are pretty bawdy sometimes. We're married, we are supposed to be having sex. It is my understanding that engaging in and enjoying sex is vital to a healthy relationship. I know it has gotten us over several hurdles.

Now, would I engage on this behavior on FTV? Nah - my grandkids would run across it on YouTube sooner or later. Is it exaggerated? Probably.

Is it wrong for a warm, loving, married couple to make the kitchen and extension of the bedroom? I've seen it happen, and not just in my relationships.

I saw no racial overtones at all - but maybe I am naive. It's possible. I just like seeing a happy and well adjusted couple, with a woman being able to express her needs without shame or apology. I hope I am not let down when I see it!

And this is how the Neelys are in person. They are warm, funny, bawdy and in love. I just watched a TiVo'd episode so I could comment more intelligently. I find it amazing that people would compare them to "steppin fetchit" or call the show "affirmative action." That, to me, is sad.

Did I like the show? Not really. It's not the kind of show I find interesting. I already know how to make barbecue. But I don't see the need to make racial slurs to express my dislike of the show.

FYI, I'm white, married and originally from Memphis. Perhaps if people spent time in other parts of the country they might understand the differences we have without going below the belt.

Well, I'll try to give the show a fair hearing but I'm leaning in FlourPower's direction. I've only seen a couple of them so far and I'm also quite sick of the eye rolling, exaggerated sexual innuendo, over-the-top/overuse of Ebonics, and the whole "this is how Black folks really behave." Well, no we all don't, and yes, I find it offensive, tiresome, and played out. Enough already.

Also, I have to say that so far what I've also found quite annoying and totally unimpressive is the food. Example: Frozen Lemonade Pie -- frozen lemonade concentrate, a tub of artificial whipped topping, and sweetened condensed milk!? :hmmm: ***Where's that wretching and convulsing emoticon when you need it? *** Don't they know that they're treading on Sandra Lee territory with "recipes" like that? And to brag about how this is a treasured family secret recipe; I wish they had done all of us a favor and left that one a secret.

I don't know the Neelys, never met them. But if they don't want to be perceived as modern day Step 'n' Fetchits or pretty much any one on the show "Cribs" AND THEY are decent, intelligent people, then they might want to try showing that side of themselves and not be yet another in a long line of predictable and insulting stereotypes of Black people.

Edited to correct spelling since I my spelling suffers when I'm ticked off! :blink:

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

And this is how the Neelys are in person. They are warm, funny, bawdy and in love. I just watched a TiVo'd episode so I could comment more intelligently. I find it amazing that people would compare them to "steppin fetchit" or call the show "affirmative action." That, to me, is sad.

Did I like the show? Not really. It's not the kind of show I find interesting. I already know how to make barbecue. But I don't see the need to make racial slurs to express my dislike of the show.

FYI, I'm white, married and originally from Memphis. Perhaps if people spent time in other parts of the country they might understand the differences we have without going below the belt.

I called it affirmative action based on the specs that Food Network must have rolled in their minds when sitting in Manhattan coming up with a "black" show. Paula is a cartoon character and reminds me of those old cartoons with the requisite "southern" character. I am surprised they have not put her sons in colonel outfits yet....Hey YA'LL!!

So, I can imagine, somewhat akin to the movie "Hollywood Shuffle" how the execs outlined this project. We need a black show. That latin thing with Jag backfired so....

It just seems so insultingly formulaic. So many good chefs and just cooks that would meet their quotas and provide decent information. But, it doesn't sell in the prime markets like Forrest Gump would.

I have to agree with divalasvegas.

Regarding the sexual overtones of the previews (I can't speak for the show because I've not seen it), that's not really what I would turn to the Food Network for. Well, actually, I was going to say I turned to the Food Network for cuisine-centric programming, if not actual food prep/instruction, but come to think of it... that's getting pretty rare so I can't even say that. I watch Jamie Oliver and Alton Brown, and that's about it.

I'm sure the Neely's are very nice.

Regarding the ebonics, etc... I think the producers/Network are probably responsible. Wouldn't be the first time unsuspecting good folks with visions of fame and fortune made a bad deal with the proverbial devil. I think I'm seeing a trend here.

edited to say I also agree with Doodad. Seriously. It's the Network. It's the Network. It's the Network.

Edited by Jane Die (log)

Well, actually I do not expect an eye opening cooking program from the Food Network. That would certainly raise the bar.

It is interesting the comparison of the Neely's to Lincoln Theodore Monroe Andrew Perry who received the NAACP Image Award and was inducted in the Black Filmmakers Hall of Fame, has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, and was a personal friend of Mohamed Ali. Not to mention his career with the Chicago Defender.

I think the Neely's have a way to go to live up to the accomplishments of Lincoln Perry.

The language I use at home, in my kitchen, in the bosom of my family would probably be considered low class by some individuals. Yeah, I roll my eyes from time to time.

Sure, it's the Network, but (as in the case of Paula Deen and all the bling she is sporting around these days) it is hard to argue with success. But, I suppose perception is reality.

Now, I have to watch. Thought I was going to avoid the Food Network for a while... :rolleyes:

Well, actually I do not expect an eye opening cooking program from the Food Network. That would certainly raise the bar.

It is interesting the comparison of the Neely's to Lincoln Theodore Monroe Andrew Perry who received the NAACP Image Award and was inducted in the Black Filmmakers Hall of Fame, has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, and was a personal friend of Mohamed Ali. Not to mention his career with the Chicago Defender.

I think the Neely's have a way to go to live up to the accomplishments of Lincoln Perry.

The language I use at home, in my kitchen, in the bosom of my family would probably be considered low class by some individuals. Yeah, I roll my eyes from time to time.

Sure, it's the Network, but (as in the case of Paula Deen and all the bling she is sporting around these days) it is hard to argue with success. But, I suppose perception is reality.

Now, I have to watch. Thought I was going to avoid the Food Network for a while... :rolleyes:

At least for me annecros my criticism and comparison to Step 'n' Fetchit has more to do with the limiting and unimaginative use of certain categories of people by those empty suits in the entertainment world, especially those shameless hacks at Food Network than with any criticism of Perry as well as what people will do for fame and fortune, no matter how fleeting or demeaning. Mr. Perry was a talented Black man who had to perform his craft within the limitations of a racist industry and an overtly racist society. It should be noted that most of these films were made in the 30's and 40's.

It's 2008. What's the Neely's excuse? Oh yeah, right, MONEY. I guess that makes it okay then.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

That's just how they are. You can dislike it all you want, but I think throwing around racial slurs takes it over the line.

Well on several points dougw you and I will have to agree to disagree.

First, saying "that's how they are" is quite accurate but just shrugging it off and not challenging or confronting these execs with the completely stereotypical and demeaning approach they've taken with this show is just not good enough. Not that the suits will care, but I will be communicating to them my utter disgust with their production decisions for this show.

Secondly, I fail to see where I've thrown around any racial slurs, but as you advised me "you can dislike it all you want." I refer to Step 'n' Fetch It as a cultural point of reference. Entertainers like Mr. Perry had to make painful compromises if they wanted to work at their craft. That was then. Today if any Black person acts this way it's because they want to do it for whatever amount of fame, money, or notoriety they value. People like the Neelys are all the more infuriating because THEY SHOULD KNOW BETTER. I assume that they are intelligent, hard working, very successful business people. I wish that both they and TVFN would have an interest in showing that side of them.

Lastly, while it appears that their behavior doesn't offend or alarm you, it deeply offends me. It's really part of a phenomenon often referred to as "the new Black minstrel show" where today some Black athletes, entertainers, and in this case, hosts of a cooking show are willing to do anything to be on tv or get paid. That it may reflect poorly on all Black people is of little consequence them. How refreshing and dignified it would have been if they had just said no thanks.

The Neely's have made appearances on Paula Deen's show several times. I don't think anyone here could somehow know why they are doing a show or what their motives are, nor could any of us know the motives of any OTHER food network show host.

Yous criticize them for wanting money. Everyone wants money. Every tv chef is getting paid similarly. Why single them out?

Thanks, Diva, for tipping me off to this and reminding me yet again why about the only things I watch on the Food Network are Iron Chef America and Good Eats -- if I remember to do so. I've probably watched more food-related programming on The History Channel in the past three months. However...

It's really part of a phenomenon often referred to as "the new Black minstrel show" where today some Black athletes, entertainers, and in this case, hosts of a cooking show are willing to do anything to be on tv or get paid. That it may reflect poorly on all Black people is of little consequence them. How refreshing and dignified it would have been if they had just said no thanks.

I was wondering when you were going to invoke Bamboozled.

Funny, though: I hadn't considered Paula Deen a caricature of a Southerner. Maybe I couldn't recognize the exaggerations beyond the accent.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

According to Follow Productions, who produce the show, Down Home With the Neelys was the highest rated debut daytime show for Food Network "in the five year history of Food Network's popular 'In the Kitchen' weekend block.'"

I'd like to know how many of those viewers came back. My wife and I were among those anxiously awaiting it only to see, as Diva put it, 'the new minstrel show.'

The Food Network is entirely too white, representing neither the racial makeup of the country or that of commercial kitchens. We had high hopes that this was a step in the right direction. Guess we'll have to keep hoping.

I don't like the show, but it has nothing to do with the race of the Neely's and I find the steppin fetchit comment to be out of line.

I'm glad they're in love and like jokes in the kitchen, but I find the recipes to be a tad overdone. I've seen a huge homage to Que on the Food Network recently. I love Que, but I also love other things and wish they would broaden again. It's becoming quite myopic lately and narrow.

Blog.liedel.org

I'll make one more attempt to clarify this.

I am white and my wife is black, so I have a different perspective on racism in this country. A lot of people are of the opinion that since there are no longer seperate drinking fountains that racism is gone. This is not the case. Everyday, casual racism is alive and well.

When my wife is in a business suit, she gets waited on in stores. When she's in sweats and a baseball hat she gets followed around. When we're shopping together -- whether it's the deli or the women's fragrance department in a department store, clerks will ask me if I need help and ignore her. We get glares. I could go on but you get the point and I'm not looking for sympathy.

I'd like to think that this is a community that doesn't act that way; that we all interact with people of other races, nationalities and religions on an everyday basis and that we have real, lasting friendships with people of all backgrounds.

But that's still the exception for a great many people in this country. They're probably not burning crosses on anyone's lawn or taking notes from The Turner Diaries but they've had very limited interaction with people of another race. So they can't help but get their views and opionions from the media. The Bobby Brown and Whitney show. Flavor of Love. I Love New York. Virtually every rapper on MTV Cribs. The moron on The View who admitted that the world could indeed be flat.

We all know better when we see these things. We realize not every African American talks or acts that way. But for a lot of people, their first reaction when they see that crap is to say "See? I knew it." It subconsciously reinforces negative stereotypes. I can't speak for Diva, but I think that's what she was getting at when she said the Neelys should know better.

My wife was very excited about the Neely's show when she heard about it and was looking forward to seeing it. She sat down to watch the first episode with a hopeful smile on her face. But after it became apparent they were going the googly-eyed, sho-nuff route her reaction was "here we go" and she immediately turned it off.

Sure, they're probably doing it for the money. But what's your self-respect worth? How much would someone have to pay you to sell out in a high-profile, very public way?

I'll make one more attempt to clarify this.

I am white and my wife is black, so I have a different perspective on racism in this country. A lot of people are of the opinion that since there are no longer seperate drinking fountains that racism is gone. This is not the case. Everyday, casual racism is alive and well.

When my wife is in a business suit, she gets waited on in stores. When she's in sweats and a baseball hat she gets followed around. When we're shopping together -- whether it's the deli or the women's fragrance department in a department store, clerks will ask me if I need help and ignore her. We get glares. I could go on but you get the point and I'm not looking for sympathy.

I'd like to think that this is a community that doesn't act that way; that we all interact with people of other races, nationalities and religions on an everyday basis and that we have real, lasting friendships with people of all backgrounds.

But that's still the exception for a great many people in this country. They're probably not burning crosses on anyone's lawn or taking notes from The Turner Diaries but they've had very limited interaction with people of another race. So they can't help but get their views and opionions from the media. The Bobby Brown and Whitney show. Flavor of Love. I Love New York. Virtually every rapper on MTV Cribs. The moron on The View who admitted that the world could indeed be flat.

We all know better when we see these things. We realize not every African American talks or acts that way. But for a lot of people, their first reaction when they see that crap is to say "See? I knew it." It subconsciously reinforces negative stereotypes. I can't speak for Diva, but I think that's what she was getting at when she said the Neelys should know better.

My wife was very excited about the Neely's show when she heard about it and was looking forward to seeing it. She sat down to watch the first episode with a hopeful smile on her face. But after it became apparent they were going the googly-eyed, sho-nuff route her reaction was "here we go" and she immediately turned it off. 

Sure, they're probably doing it for the money. But what's your self-respect worth? How much would someone have to pay you to sell out in a high-profile, very public way?

God Bless you FlourPower, you nailed it; I couldn't have said it any better. You've stated my point of view as clearly as possible and if it still goes misunderstood or not understood at all by some, well, at least we tried. :smile:

You consistently ignore the fact that this show is representative of how they are in real life. If you dislike what they do on the show, you won't find much difference if you meet them in their excellent restaurant in Memphis.

I suggest that you tell them these things to their face instead of assuming that they are puppets. I also think that comparing their behavior to Flavor Flav, or some MTV rapper is extremely unfair. Again, disliking the show is fine. But you're reaching pretty far here in your accusations against the Neelys. And to be fair, I'm also agreeing that racism is alive and well. I just don't think it helps to throw slurs like that around so freely, when you're not really informed about them as they are in person.

Pardon me, but if anyone is so backward as to see one African American family on television and conclude that "that's how black people ARE," then that is his or her problem, not the Neelys'. I'm shocked that some viewers would blame their own prejudice and irrational judgments those they are insulting.

I've never seen anyone on eGullet complain that Rachel Ray is doing a disservice to white people by being irritating. I guess it's just another example of how disappointingly racist our society still is.

Your point about Rachael Ray is excellent.

Besides, I've tried to explain from personal experience that the Neelys are pretty much the same in person as they are on TV. Frankly, I think the notion that they would act a certain way because the Food Network bosses tell them to is in and of itself suspect. They are who they are.