• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oxbow Market in Napa

I think the best parts are The Fatted Calf's, and Whole Spice's shops. The rest don't do much for me. I don't want to spend nearly $20 for a burger fries and a drink at Taylor's when I can go to Nations and pay less than half the amount. The other shops don't seem to have much going on. Maybe I'm biased, and as a local was expectimg a lot more. Has anybody else been there?

Edited by mroybal (log)

To be fair, it's not 100% open. Let's let it develop into what it's going to become. Did you try the butcher? I haven't but it looks promising, as does the fishmonger who is coming. The cheese shop in the wine merchant is great and the staff actually knows what it's selling and they'll be getting actual cotija from Mexico soon.

Fatted Calf is a destination for me. Especially since they have a wide selection of those wonderful Rancho Gordo brand heirloom beans I keep hearing about!

I was offered to do a store there but it didn't work for me. I think you need to have a passion for retail to do something like that, which at this point, I don't have.

Wait until the farmers market starts and Tuesdays and Saturdays will be hopping with great stuff, making it a real destination. (Disclosure: I'm president of the Board of Directors for the farmers market)

I think it has a lot of potential and certainly serves the community more than other recent developments.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

We took a Field Trip there (got to love culinary school), and the market is good, but not great...I was expecting something bigger. The shops though are great. The meat stand is good, and the cheese shop is great. The highlight is definitely the Fatted Calf.

The wine bar is nice though, you can eat bunch of stuff and drink a few wines, and if you like it, they tell you where in the market you can get it. We had an excellent cheese plate, and pate plate.

Really looking forward to the produce stands, and the fish market. Has potential, so hopefully it will just keep getting better. And I still don't understand why Taylor's is so popular...way too much for burgers that aren't that great (the shakes are good though).