• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pumpkin seeds

WednesdayGirl

My favorite thing about carving pumpkins is roasting and eating the seeds. I'd be interested to hear about the different ways in which people prepare them. I usually just stick 'em in the oven for a few hours on low heat after rinsing and sprinkling with some salt. I'd like to try something different this year. Any ideas/recipies?

Pumpkin seeds have always been my favorite part of Halloween, and with the boys grown up and moved out, we don't really carve jack'o'lanterns anymore. I have found that seeds from the other winter squash varieties roast up just as well, but there are never enough of them. Here's how I roast the seeds.

I put them in a bowl of water because I've found it makes it easier to separate the slippery pulp from the seeds. But if I don't get it all off I don't worry. I put the drained seeds in a bowl and toss with soy and a few shots of tabasco, then spread on a baking sheet and cook in a low oven (250-300) until they're done...the soy-tabasco dries on the seeds and leaves a salty, slightly hot coating.

These never last too long, and once the boys realized how good they were I had to stash small containers in the back of the cabinets just so I could have a chance to eat some.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

toss them in butter, brown sugar, a good amount of salt (or even seasoning salt, if you like), a bit of cinnamon and a tad bit of worcestershire sauce. Salty, sweet, spicy....yum. You may want to put some parchment down because they get a little sticky.

Any particular variety of pumpkin that you need to roast the seeds?

Usually at this time of year we only have crown pumpkin available here ( the bluish ones with nice flesh)

I have kept a big halloween type pumpkin from last season for a jack o lantern though .. ahh the trials of living in the southern hemisphere.