• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ox

jon777

Who would've thunk that JC would get an "excellent" restaurant.

I was there twice and had great experiences. On my last visit, I had the Ox Tail appetizer and the Pan Roasted Duck Breast. Both were amazing. I never had ox tail before but I am now hooked. I also had the kale as a side, also quite interesting.

While the food is arguably the best that JC has to offer, I find it even more exciting that such a unique restaurant not only has the balls to open in JC, but to open on Newark Ave., a stretch filled with 99 cent stores. And from what I understand, it's doing a hefty business. Bravo.

It looks great and I intend to try it. Though I'd be a little happier if this wasn't a direct quote from their menu:

Roasted Guinea Hen

Cornbread Stuffing with Guanciale & Apples,

Haricort Vert, Carrots, Marsala Reduction

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

double-post

Edited by markk (log)

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

We ate there again last Friday and it was quite good. Each time they improve, and the service is getting better, too, with the staff becoming more familiar with the menu. They still need more experience with the cheese selections, but that will improve. The bar staff is quite friendly and the new bar menu looks delicious. I'd like to explore that in the future.

"While the food is arguably the best that JC has to offer, I find it even more exciting that such a unique restaurant not only has the balls to open in JC, but to open on Newark Ave., a stretch filled with 99 cent stores. And from what I understand, it's doing a hefty business. Bravo."

Actually the neighborhood reminds me more than a bit of the Lower East Side in the 80's or Greenpoint in the 90's.

The only downside, for me, is that all the hard surfaces (so much concrete) makes it quite loud. And if you go when the weather is cold, try to sit on the banquette side of the restaurant, as the radiators run along the bottom of the wall on the opposite side. For me, it was too warm, seated there.

...I'd be a little happier if this wasn't a direct quote from their menu:

Roasted Guinea Hen

Cornbread Stuffing with Guanciale & Apples,

Haricort Vert, Carrots, Marsala Reduction

I'm not looking to take this thread in a different direction, but I will say that grammatical errors and typos on menus (both hard copy and on the Web) are a huge pet peeve of mine. Knowing how much time and money goes in to decor, staffing, lighting, etc., I just wish that chefs and owners would give equal time to their marketing materials, web sites, and menus. Many of them are already paying big $$$ to companies that create these items; why not be equally demanding and show the attention to detail in this part of their business as they do with their other suppliers?

*end rant*

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

We did a 10 person wine dinner there about a month ago with Barbera as a theme. Food and service were excellent and the place was packed as it was restaurant week. Every dish I tried (I tasted what others ordered) was well prepared.

This is not a BYO but we were able to work a deal. I will definitely return.

• 3 weeks later...

Had dinner here on Saturday night. Called on Friday night and they had no availability (at a time we could do), left my name/number in case of a cancellation and was pleasant surprised when they called back on Saturday afternoon with a 6:45 cancellation.

Restuarant was a little more than half full when we arrived, with a few people at the bar -- by 7:30, all the tables were full, and by 8 PM the bar area was pretty packed as well. As was pointed out upthread, when full this place is loud -- not a place for quiet conversation.

Food was excellent. Signature Oxtail appetizer (served off the bone), over polenta, was almost like a shredded Osso-Buco esque appetizer (interestingly Osso Buco was the special that night) with a Shallot Jam and Parsley sauce. Bigos -- "Pork Belly, Kielbasa, Kurabuta Pork Cheeks, Porcini Mushroom Jus, Rye Toast & House Made Kraut" was good, although was barely enough Pork Belly for everyone to get a taste.

Entrees were a Miso Glazed Monkifsh, an Scallop and Cockle Stew and Flat Iron Steak. All were excellent -- I think the Monkfish stood out the most, meaty, well cooked and just the right amount of sweetness.

Wine list was small, but with interesting selections , both by the glass and bottle -- most under $40.

For dessert a Nuttella tart was delicious, although tasted more of chocolate then the strong Hazelnut essence you'd expect with Nuttella in the title. An Apple/Walnut "Focaccia" was tasty, but the Marscapone Gelato that accompanied it took it up 2 levels -- I would have bought a 1/2 gallon :-)

Prices very reasonable, with entrees in the low 20s. A great addition for Hudson County.

For our wine dinners, they are allowing us to bring our own for $12 corkage per person (not per bottle). This is quite reasonable but I'm not sure if it is only for larger wine dinners that we organize or if it is policy for smaller parties also.

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Just read that Ox closed rather suddenly this past week...full story on their home page.

If any restaurant owners/managers in the area are reading this and looking for staff, it sounds like theirs was a rather loyal group--and they're now in need of jobs!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Really too bad -- great place, but challenging location and obviously tough economic times. Although the note on the website isn't specific about why they closed, am assuming it was a financial decision...

Should have gone back more often when I had the chance. Enjoyed the place. Hopefully the owners will find another new (successful) venture in the area...

Really too bad -- great place, but challenging location and obviously tough economic times.  Although the note on the website isn't specific about why they closed, am assuming it was a financial decision...

Should have gone back more often when I had the chance.  Enjoyed the place.  Hopefully the owners will find another new (successful) venture in the area...

I loved Ox. The food and service were great and they were accomodating with their corkage policy. Only complaint I ever had was the noise level.

I heard it was not financial but owner disagreements. Of course this is just hearsay. I have no facts on why they closed.

Edited by paul jaouen (log)