• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What cheeses have you been eating?

I stopped eating cheese for a few years, but after reading Will Studd's "Cheese Slices", the missus and I have been inspired to get back into the world of cheese.

Last weekend, we enjoyed a Victorian goats milk cheese. IIRC, the maker was "Holy Goat" and the cheese was titled "silk". It came in a small package, about 100grams or so. It's a soft cheese, with a nice texture to spread over bread. The feel of it in the mouth was smooth, but crumbly, and the taste was creamy but with a tang at the end of it.

Edited by Shinboners (log)
Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

Just had a nice bit of Roaring Forties blue. Lovely.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

How about Seal Bay Triple Cream?

Here in the States, I just found some cheeses by Tarago Bay - threw out the receipt, but think that's the name. There was a Blue Orchid, which seemed very much like the Roaring, but a washed-rind called Jensen's that was unbelievably good.

I have been trying to find the Will Studd books over here -any suggestions.

I think I might die if I stopped eating cheese.

Possibly my favourite recent cheese was Holy Goat's Veloute. It was still very young, when I got it, and I tried to let it age a bit, really I did. But I couldn't resist :raz: So it was mostly light and chalky (in a good way), and utterly addictive. The small amount of it that did mature was creamy and sticky (in a good way), and utterly addictive. I can't recall any specific flavour notes, I just remember sincerely enjoying it.

I've never met a cheese I didn't like, but my favourite eating cheeses include pretty much every blue ever made (particularly Valdeon & Roquefort), various washed-rind and white-mould thingys, and a few harder cheeses such as Comte Gruyere and truffled pecorino. As a rule, if it's runny, sticky, mouldy or smelly, I'm all over it like white on rice. And (thank you, Will Studd) raw milk does make a difference. A wonderful, wonderful difference :wub:

For cooking, I'm very fond of buffalo mozzarella (yep, in that salad with the tomato and basil) and parmesan.

Btw, thanks for reminding me I have to send in an order to Richmond Hill Cafe and Larder. *finds recent offer letter*

Edited by Amarantha (log)
There Will Be Bloody Marys

Further to Shinboners, any of the Holy Goat range are brilliant, particularly the black silk, and the mature veloute!..... makes being a lactose intolerant chef an even more difficult task. A cherry ripe Tarago triple cream brie came in last week which was rather impressive.

<a href='http://www.flickr.com/aussiebarracuda' target='_blank'>My Food</a>

A cherry ripe Tarago triple cream brie came in last week which was rather impressive.

I'll have to keep an eye out for that. The missus loves her bries.

I'm trying to get her to try a blue though. Anyone got a good mild one to ease her into it?

The missus loves her bries.

I'm trying to get her to try a blue though.  Anyone got a good mild one to ease her into it?

sheol didn't like blue for the longest time, then one day he happened to try one he liked and he hasn't looked back. Sadly, I'm not sure which one it was. It was definitely a King Island Dairy offering, but they have so many. Perhaps the Roaring Forties?

For myself, I'd try her on Blue Castello. Its sweet-and-creamy-ness really takes the edge off the blueness.

I'm quite partial to anything by Woodside at the moment. Tarago River cheese, mentioned by garlotin, is pretty good too. I like their Gippsland Blue and Shadows of Blue. Neither are overpowering.

I must correct my post #5 above (about Holy Goat) - it wasn't the Veloute that I had, it was the La Luna.

I now have a log of Veloute, but I haven't tried it yet. I also have some Ossau Iraty and some truffled brie. For lunch I intend to finish off the Comte Gruyere...

Edited by Amarantha (log)

Mudgee Marinated Feta - Marinated in local olive oil and other herbs and spices. Absolutely delicious

Smell and taste are in fact but a single composite sense, whose laboratory is the mouth and its chimney the nose. - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

We loved Cambray cheeses. They are all from sheep's milk, but there is quite a variety. We bought them at the farm, which is between Albany and Margaret River, not on the beaten track. I do not know how available they are retail.

Michael

www.epicures.wordpress.com

• 2 weeks later...
Further to Shinboners, any of the Holy Goat range are brilliant, particularly the black silk, and the mature veloute!..... makes being a lactose intolerant chef an even more difficult task.

Speaking of Holy Goat, there is a documentary on SBS tonight about the women who run Holy Goat. It's on at 8pm, right after the always excellent, Food Safari.

Inside Australia - Love's Harvest, Cheese

For Carla and Anne-Marie, women and goats go together but a long drought takes its toll on their cherished goat herd. Carla and Anne-Marie are known for their delectable goat's cheese. It's the reward for ditching their teaching jobs and taking the plunge to farm organic goats on rolling granite country in Central Victoria. Feeling naturally drawn to goats, the women nurture their herd like a large, extended family - giving them all names and carefully plotting the family tree. But a dragging drought and the need for some agonising decisions soon ruptures the idyll of farm life. Carla and Anne-Marie must deal with the urgent need for feed, a competing mob of kangaroos and the basic instincts of mating bucks and new milking mums. For the creators of Holy Goat cheese, farm life provides some challenging dilemmas. (From Australia, in English) (Documentary Series) PG CC

• 1 month later...

On a recent trip to Tasmania we were most impressed by produce from the Grandvewe cheesery.

They have wonderful products that are organically produced and which evidence that real artisan quality that distinguishes fine products from mass produced.

They call their sheep pens the Sheep Hilton and the pampered ungulates certainly return the favour with the quality of their milk.

Their website is http://www.grandvewe.com.au/

If you are down there, stop at the Pecora cafe where Luke Burgess does some really exciting food in a lovely little space with a wonderful view over Bruny island. Luke trained with Tetsuya and was a top food photographer in Sydney before moving to Tasmania to open his own space.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

On a recent trip to Tasmania we were most impressed by produce from the Grandvewe cheesery.

They have wonderful products that are organically produced and which evidence that real artisan quality that distinguishes fine products from mass produced.

They call their sheep pens the Sheep Hilton and the pampered ungulates certainly return the favour with the quality of their milk.

Their website is http://www.grandvewe.com.au/

Thanks for that tip. I'll have to keep an eye out for this cheese.

• 8 months later...